Gannon Sacked! Motherwell Part Company with Manager

steelman1991

Not to put you down or anything Charlie, but I smell shite here.

Rumours are ten a penny but I had similar related to me by someone who normally only passes on reasonably accurate info, fee being £400k but essentially that a deal was in advanced stages.

If money was available for that and Gannon thought he could get better use of it elsewhere he'd have good reason to be annoyed.

What the exact truth of everything around this affair is I doubt few will ever know but he's away so as well looking forward than backward!

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumours are ten a penny but I had similar related to me by someone who normally only passes on reasonably accurate info, fee being £400k but essentially that a deal was in advanced stages.

If money was available for that and Gannon thought he could get better use of it elsewhere he'd have good reason to be annoyed.

What the exact truth of everything around this affair is I doubt few will ever know but he's away so as well looking forward than backward!

Clearly Gannon wanted the boy so why would he be pissed off that Boyle was actually fronting the money to get him? And wasn't 250 grand agreed as the fee beforehand anyway? Or was that just yet another unsubstantiated board rumour?

I purposely held off in the whole Gannon debate as we as fans are too quick to shoot down our own managers and don't give them enough time.

I still feel that if this is true Gannon should have been given more time to develop the squad. I have read and listened with interest all that Gannon has said and done since he took the helm and I must say I agreed with a lot of it.

I am not the type to hang onto players just because they are supposed club servants. I have never bought into that crap. Motherwell is a business, yes, a club I love dearly but at the end of the day it is purely and simply a business. Unless run properly it will go bust and nearly did so. If players lose form and don't get it back then sorry they should be let go and another brought in to replace them, there is no room for sentiment no matter how many years service the players have.

If we look at any business then the cruel facts are that if you ain't performing and reaching targets you are very quickly shown the door. I personally think Gannon has done the right thing in publically naming and shaming players. If you give them instructions and they don't carry it out or worse ignore those instructions on the park they must be shown the door, no one is bigger than the club. From this forum and others I felt that this scenario is playing out with the players not performing as instructed and maybe this is why Gannon has been subbing players at innoportune moments in games, maybe not just my take on things.

One stockport fan has come in on the debate in this forum and basically said that this was Gannons style and that given time the players produced good football using differing tactics throughout a game that confused opposing managers who could not keep up resulting in many good wins.

Sadly I believe that this did not work here as I and probably Jim Gannon suspect the quality of players here are not at the same level as those Gannon had to pick from at Stockport. That may upset a few diehards on here but it is a stark reality we have what we have, as that is all we can afford to pay and bring through. Yes, we have a few diamonds but they are very rough and ready and have nowhere near the consistency required for the SPL. We have binned almost our entire first team squad and replaced them with loans. As many have said you cannot build medium to long term on loans, it is a quick fix no more.

If it is true and Gannon is gone I fear we are going to face more massive upheaval and Mr Boyle may choose a safe option, another Malpas type who will only look to safety and nothing else.

Many of our good teams in the past were built on solid foundations with a blend of experience and youth. No loans at all if I can remember in any of our winning teams. We need to get back to 3-4 year deals and build our foundations again. Yes there will be some duds and bad buys along the way but some good players we can build and cash in on at a later date. Ruddy for example. After 3-4 year contract I believe we could get a hefty return on him.

I would love a Gannon type within the scouts who have an eye for the type of players he brought to this club.

I also believed the whole referee thing had to be tackled and thought he was right to bring it out so publicly, lets hope that this has given the powers that be in the corridors of referee power the impetus to look at themselves a wee bit more critically and find ways to improve the product rather than going into their collective shells.

If he has been going for interviews elsewhere then I as a fan can only condemn him for that as I want the manager whoever that may be, concentrating on making my club better not looking for avenues out.

Yes, He has been naive in some of his comments that quite frankly made me cringe, but in hindsight I would probably agree with most of what he said. As many have pointed out on these very boards Gannon has only been saying what most fans have been shouting about for years.

If he is gone, then as before we will move on, I just hope Boyle has the nerve to build on what Gannon has brought to the club and we don't return to the days of old firm cast offs and nomads. Thanks Gannon at least you brought some life back to the club.

No matter what I will be there with my scarf round my neck and cheering the lads from the Cooper...C'mon the Well

WellWell this is the best post I've read on these boards. IMO it hits right to the heart of things. I too am sorry to see JG leave because I thought he was just what we and the SPL needed badly - new blood with a different perspective. JG, thanks for what you tried to do and good luck for the future.

Clearly Gannon wanted the boy so why would he be pissed off that Boyle was actually fronting the money to get him? And wasn't 250 grand agreed as the fee beforehand anyway? Or was that just yet another unsubstantiated board rumour?

I would suggest any mentioned fee was always a guess of some sort. I don't recall seeing it anywhere like the official site.

Whether it was £250k, 400k, 500k it is still a significant chunk for us to spend. If Gannon thought he could extend the loan and or use similar available funds for 2 or 3 other players he might have been happier.

It is just a suggestion, permamently signing Ruddy might have been an all your eggs in one basket scenario when Gannon maybe had other ideas. Who knows, Boyle, Gannon....

WellWell this is the best post I've read on these boards. IMO it hits right to the heart of things. I too am sorry to see JG leave because I thought he was just what we and the SPL needed badly - new blood with a different perspective. JG, thanks for what you tried to do and good luck for the future.

Agree. Excellent post there from Well Well, and I agree with your own thoughts, too.

Not to put you down or anything Charlie, but I smell shite here.
I don't know how he's done for you, but apparently Boyle's reasoning was that he'd double his value by the summer if signed.

Seriously? If Gannon expects to run a football club for 3 years with no-one else having a say I suggest he look at his local boys team - although I'm not sure the teenagers would put up with his obvious huffing and mood swings.
There's a difference between others having a say & being told the money's only available for some players and not for others.

Agree with this. I was really excited at the start of the season by what Gannon was trying to do and really thought we were onto something. I was happy till I heard his interview after the St Johnstone game and suddenly began to worry.

The real story will come out but I somehow feel that we have missed a great opportunity here. I would think that Gannon could still go on to be an excellent manager.

His comments about the press and referee's were ill adviced but ultimately he was speaking the truth. Look how the old boys network of Scottish Football rounded on him. Maybe the same has happened on a smaller scale at the club.

I happen to think that Scottish Football generally is a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment and we should rule out a manager from outwith Scotland. Get someone who knows how this weird little microclimate of Scottish Football works. Lets humf it up the park and be done with it.

Really down about all of this. It has a bit of the Paul Le Guen's about it.

And heading for relegation. If you were a player, where would you rather ply your trade ? Fir Park/Ibrox/Parkhead/Tynecastle/Pittodrie, etc., or Plainmoor/Gigg Lane/Edgar Street/Moss Rose, etc.. ?

First option nae bother! Playing at the top level in Scotland sounds more appealing to me than league 2!

Clearly Gannon was not committed to MFC and I have to applaud John Boyle and the board for making the tough decision. The last seven weeks we have seen strange substitutions at odd times of games and maybe the players were not happy with the manager either. We really need someone totally committed to MFC.

Clearly Gannon was not committed to MFC and I have to applaud John Boyle and the board for making the tough decision. The last seven weeks we have seen strange substitutions at odd times of games and maybe the players were not happy with the manager either. We really need someone totally committed to MFC.

who?

Your not going to get someone who is totally committed. We dont have the financial clout buy the level of commitment that the fans desire and deserve.

Good luck Jim.

After a good start and having the insight to see some talent in young players who would have been ignored elsewhere, things were starting to go downhill. Whether or not he was good with youth, he was completely inept tactically, and was an arrogant arsehole to boot.

I'm disappointed in the way things panned out, but glad he's left quickly.

Any prospective manager worth their salt will want to now what the financial situation is and I don't mean their wages.

1. How much of a transfer budget is involved if we are to believe rumours then there may be as much as half a million floating about

2. What are the timescales and expectations of the board.

3. Will they have the backing off the board. If JB is alleged to have been willing to part with the cash for Ruddy in the expectation of doubling his investment quickly then refusing to provide cash for other players on Gannons list ( pure speculation no flame wars please)

4. Contract - what type and for how long - any release clauses by either side.

Only a few considerations but ones I would be looking to get clarified if I was getting interviewed. Maybe some lessons to be learned from the manager merry go round at Motherwell FC

There are two types of manager we can go for really;

There's the guy who has been around the lower reaches of the Scottish game for a while, such as Ian McCall, who knows the game inside and out, and who will probably display the level of long-term commitment and loyalty that some on here are looking for.

Then we have the guy who is a young up and coming gaffer, who comes in with some bright, new ideas, and gives the place a new lease of life, such as Gannon did.

The problem with these guys is that they are usually more interested in furthering their career than they are in loyalty to a club.

Great news, good riddance to bad rubbish I say!

This man was trouble and was not liked by players and staff alike at Fir Park for his attitude and arrogance. You could see in the way the team played that all was not well in the dressing room. Players looked completely unsure of what to do and were being given no support from their manager and their confidence was at rock bottom....all of that was down to Gannon.

Well done to John Boyle for sending this chancer on his way. As I said last week, all Gannon was interested in was trying to make a name for himself as some kind of as some kind of God like, no-nonsense figure and all his smokescreens that he created with his pointless feuds over nothing with both the press and Hugh Dallas just summed him up. It's no coincidence that he started that nonsense as soon as he was starting to get found out after the mauling against St.Mirren in the Cup and the Accies game at the beginning of November.

I laughed when I read this board at the start of the season and saw people trying to convince themselves that Gannon was a much better manager than McGhee was and how he was some kind of messiah..bla bla bla... He did absolutely nothing when he was here. We lost to two sides in the Europa league qualifyiyers that wouldn't give Bellshill Athletic a game and our football and style of play was terrible right from the off. It was down to sheer luck and very little else that we remained unbeaten for as long as we did.

So goodbye and good riddance Gannon, you will not be missed.

Now for a Bobby Williamson, Jimmy Calderwood or Ian McCall please.

There are two types of manager we can go for really;

There's the guy who has been around the lower reaches of the Scottish game for a while, such as Ian McCall, who knows the game inside and out, and who will probably display the level of long-term commitment and loyalty that some on here are looking for.

Then we have the guy who is a young up and coming gaffer, who comes in with some bright, new ideas, and gives the place a new lease of life, such as Gannon did.

The problem with these guys is that they are usually more interested in furthering their career than they are in loyalty to a club.

Spot on. I would also add you might get a manager on the rebound, out of work and needing a launching pad. A la McGhee and as of right now Burley and Calderwood.

Great news, good riddance to bad rubbish I say!

This man was trouble and was not liked by players and staff alike at Fir Park for his attitude and arrogance. You could see in the way the team played that all was not well in the dressing room. Players looked completely unsure of what to do and were being given no support from their manager and their confidence was at rock bottom....all of that was down to Gannon.

Well done to John Boyle for sending this chancer on his way. As I said last week, all Gannon was interested in was trying to make a name for himself as some kind of as some kind of God like, no-nonsense figure and all his smokescreens that he created with his pointless feuds over nothing with both the press and Hugh Dallas just summed him up. It's no coincidence that he started that nonsense as soon as he was starting to get found out after the mauling against St.Mirren in the Cup and the Accies game at the beginning of November.

I laughed when I read this board at the start of the season and saw people trying to convince themselves that Gannon was a much better manager than McGhee was and how he was some kind of messiah..bla bla bla... He did absolutely nothing when he was here. We lost to two sides in the Europa league qualifyiyers that wouldn't give Bellshill Athletic a game and our football and style of play was terrible right from the off. It was down to sheer luck and very little else that we remained unbeaten for as long as we did.

So goodbye and good riddance Gannon, you will not be missed.

Now for a Bobby Williamson, Jimmy Calderwood or Ian McCall please.

And the insanity continues :doh:

I don't know how he's done for you, but apparently Boyle's reasoning was that he'd double his value by the summer if signed.

There's a difference between others having a say & being told the money's only available for some players and not for others.

Well that all depends on the amount and who the player is. Boyle is a businessman and if he feels investing £250k+ in John Ruddy in the knowledge that there is more than a decent chance we will get the same amount or more back in return - as oppose to spending on players whose contracts may merely run out or have little or no re-sale value.

Truth is only JB and JG and a selct few others know the actual facts!