Mcghee Talks About Leaving Fir Park

Well-Made

From the Herald

McGhee backs blueprint for move to Ravenscraig

Motherwell's manager, Mark McGhee, has revealed that tentative discussions have taken place over the construction of a new stadium.

Today, the Lanarkshire side will participate in the last ever match at St Mirren's ground, Love Street, and McGhee believes a similar move is a necessity for his club.

"If you said to me, you can lose tomorrow and take the new stadium next week', I'd take it,'" he said.

Motherwell have resided at Fir Park for 114 years, but various alternative options are being explored with the site at Ravenscraig considered the most preferable. "We have had very early discussions with various bodies," said McGhee. "I was at a meeting the week before Christmas, so its absolutely in its earliest stages.

"Fir Park is not a bad wee ground, but I think if we want to increase the crowd a bit and move with the times, it is only going to become more expensive to maintain."

McGhee refused to deliberate when the proposal will become reality but underlined his support for the idea. "There was a very strong consensus that it is a possibility. The discussions we have had have been with the district council and we need to bring in developers as well. They are developing their own facilities for the college the proposed new Motherwell College Campus, so maybe it could tie in or be expanded a little. The site is huge and in the not very far future, when property prices re-establish themselves, that bit of ground is going to be high value, but there are still questions to be answered."

In recent years, several English clubs, such as Leicester City and Southampton, have left restrictive environs for more supporter friendly stadiums. McGhee pointed to a recent impression of Coventry City's Ricoh Arena as a blueprint to follow. "It was only half full and at half-time the place emptied, it was like the end of the game. Every single person in the building disappeared underneath and I thought, that is the way,' everybody should have somewhere to go, somewhere to eat and have a drink and get under cover. We can't do that, so it is time to offer easy access for people to bring their car and park it like they do at the supermarket or the cinema.

"If we want to move with the times we need a new stadium. You can factor in an increase in the crowd with a new stadium that could be as much as 25%."

So how many of you thought he was touting himself again?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is from the Herald, Dave... He was talking about it at his Press Conference yesterday (after the reporters there asked him about it - in relation to St Mirren's move)

'Flow

There's similar in The Sun this morning too.

It would seem to me that if moves are afoot, that now's the time to start galvanising ourselves to press the club for what WE want in any new ground in terms of design and facilities, rather than them unveiling Barr's Football Stadium Construction Kit Mark IV.

Talks of leaving Fir Park leaves me slightly confused. Who would be the main benefactor if we were to move the club? Boyle?.

When coakleys move was knocked on the head, the reason given was that he wanted to change ownership of the stadium, now i can only presume that Motherwell football and athletic club own the stadium therefore income recieved for the arc would be the clubs to fund new stadium, facilities, squad improvement etc. yes?

So how much would we be expected to look for for fir park and how much would a new stadium be likely to cost to build?. Im sure there are various grants etc accessible for the construction of a new facility, but it would be interesting to know the feasibility financially of such a move!

Talks of leaving Fir Park leaves me slightly confused. Who would be the main benefactor if we were to move the club? Boyle?.

When coakleys move was knocked on the head, the reason given was that he wanted to change ownership of the stadium, now i can only presume that Motherwell football and athletic club own the stadium therefore income recieved for the arc would be the clubs to fund new stadium, facilities, squad improvement etc. yes?

Therein lies a question still to be resolved. Boyle supposedly scuppered more than one deal on the grounds he wanted to keep the stadium in his ownership. No doubt that question will be answered soon enough.

Would anything not be better than the crumbling shack we have at the moment !

Oh aye, a crumbling Barr Construction flat pack self build a la New Broomfield

aye cos he's mystic meg and has a crystal ball :wallbash:

Can you ban me from the site please.

There is no point in posting on this board as if your not in the gang your posts get ignored or ridiculed, even if you have a valid point to make.

So, in the words of Duncan Bannatyne..........."I'm Out"

Alright I'll re-phrase that.

He says we will NEVER leave Fir Park. Is that better?

If he said "never" then he hasn't quite grasped the concept of democracy and/or kickbacks. However, to quote my favourite TV judge, I wouldn't trust anything a Lanarkshire councillor said if their tongue came notarised.

There were councillors that told my parents a supermarket would never be built behind their house. Then Safeway had a wee chat to Mr. Dewar and his cronies and guess what happened?

There is no point in posting on this board as if your not in the gang your posts get ignored or ridiculed, even if you have a valid point to make.

Hardly! Calm down!

If your source said we would NEVER leave fir park, then he obviously can see the future. How does he know that we'll never leave fir park?

That is up there with the best over-reaction in the history of this site.

Congrats

Although the mention of the Ricoh Arena as a benchmark is an interesting idea. Hotel and conference facilities, money making machine that is used 365 days a year. Good place for an upmarket restaurant and leisure facilities...hmm like the sound of that...no more Aquatec...!!

Im usually up with the first to jump on McGhee's comments but the original poster is being VERY harsh here imho.

He is talking about possibilities YEARS from now, of course he won't be here!!

Ridiculous thread to be honest!

The thread title is a wee joke. Took me a minute to piece it all together too. :P