Mcghee Talks About Leaving Fir Park

Well-Made

Guest JohnnyDefault

Surely it's time to start a development fund and open it up to donations and fundraising etc.

The figures being quoted are huge of course but aren't impossible figures to be obtained - however, the sooner we get a separate fund up and running the better.

Open the idea pot up to all us creative geniuses to start to get some funds trickling in.

Imagine 100 of us doin' the Glasgow Hawf Marathon in Claret and Amber to get the stadium fund started?

We're gonna have to do something a wee bit out of the ordinary to either find the funds to revamp the ark or top up the proceeds of the sale of FP.

I'm sure the dialogue will open up shortly. The board must have a vision of where they see us in 5 / 10 years.

Maybe the Well Trust could ask about this at the next meeting - and let us know via their minutes.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we do eventually get to build a new stadium I hope we get something with some design aesthetics and not a 4 box job from Barr. Something along the Livingston stadium, with all four corners filled in and a capacity of say 10,000 would be ideal.

Almondvale isn't much better! It's basically the same as St.Mirrens new stadium but with the corners filled in. Fuck that...I want something new and exciting but I know it'll never happen.

Almondvale isn't much better! It's basically the same as St.Mirrens new stadium but with the corners filled in. Fuck that...I want something new and exciting but I know it'll never happen.

Your right, it probably wont so we'll have to grin and bear it i'm afraid. Exciting stadiums would take you into the 30 million mark in my estimation.

So if yev got a few million kickin about in an ISA.... :huh:

Like I've already said, almondvale gets a lot of stick, but since its completion with 3 of the corners filled in (one by an office block of some sort) I recon it could hold an atmosphere. The days of buildin big south stands are gone, that thing hardly ever gets filled now.

I'd like to see us aiming at the 12K mark for capacity, allowing us to take advantage of the old firm support, cup supports (look at what morton/QOS brought) and additional big games (see Aberdeen, Nancy for examples)

It would be nice to have all the add ons, nice facade, two tier stands with boxes etc etc. What we should really be looking to do though is to build a stadium within our budget that will allow for adding in things like boxes or extra seats when the finance becomes available or if the clubs fanbase ever grows. Surely it cant be difficult to leave room for expansion rather than build it "aw in a wanner"

If a stadium like almondvale was tarted up a bit i.e get rid of the plastic look about it, then it would be fit for any SPL club outwith the big city clubs.

I think if it was a club who had fans, Almondvale would be a crackin wee ground.

aye i don't think its as bad as people make it out to be.

I got a book with aerial photos of football grounds for my birthday the other week (don't laugh! it was just a cheap thing on the side) which has a good picture of Almondvale. If you can guarantee to almost fill it every week (as well as moving the stands tighter to pitch much like our East Stand) I think you could create quite a good atmosphere.

On a side note there is two cracking photos of Fir Park in the book. One directly above the 'Ark and another showing the stadium within an aerial shot of the whole of Motherwell.

probably too big. I'll upload them to photobucket or something though. Think your house is just cut off! :huh:

EDIT - Here we go. Slight blurring on the left side of the second one. The picture was just a bit bigger than my scanner. How good does the pitch look in the first one!

firpark.jpg

firpark2.jpg

A sort of Almondvale effort with perhaps a bigger main Stand wouldn't be that bad. Still reckon the stadium looks like having nothing to it and makes you feel like you are outside (I know ye are but ye know what i mean :unsure: ). A more sloping roof might make it feel mor enclosed!

haha listen tae aw ae us architects :unsure:

Aye stands a wee bit closer tae the pitch

Bigger main stand sounds good, take the capacity tae 12K

Add a line ae executive boxes and tart up that roof wae a "Keep cigarettes away from the match" slogan and...sorted.

Anyone gid wae photoshop :unsure:

PS that second pic is a belter. Never seen motherwell from that perspective before. The town looks no bad fae there.

Guest JohnnyDefault
I got that book as a wee present for Christmas and i thought "Cool, but I bet it's not got Fir Park in it" now it's hanging pride of place in my bedroom! :whistling:

What was the book chaps? Looks good!

Those are some cracking pictures Cosmo. In regards to the stadium its always struck me as a waste of resources that Fir Park will have a gym and five a side pitches that aren't available to the public. I've heard they exist anyway, i've never actually seen them. In this day and age expanding your stadium to include a bigger gym for public use and renting out other facilities would surely be a good source of income. Can you even book the astroturf park when its not being used?

Those are some cracking pictures Cosmo. In regards to the stadium its always struck me as a waste of resources that Fir Park will have a gym and five a side pitches that aren't available to the public. I've heard they exist anyway, i've never actually seen them. In this day and age expanding your stadium to include a bigger gym for public use and renting out other facilities would surely be a good source of income. Can you even book the astroturf park when its not being used?

The five aside pitches are just as you go into the South stand, the gym is also in the south stand.

The five aside pitches are just as you go into the South stand, the gym is also in the south stand.

The gym space itself is quite big. There is the big astro park behind the east stand, but there aren't any other pitches. Where the gym is in the south stand there is a room that runs the length of the stand, but has pillars all the way down it from memory.

The gym space itself is quite big. There is the big astro park behind the east stand, but there aren't any other pitches. Where the gym is in the south stand there is a room that runs the length of the stand, but has pillars all the way down it from memory.

The pitch is old-style astroturf and is not the greatest surface. The long room in the South Stand is used by the Pro-Youth youngsters and by the Community kids at the weekends for training when the weather is too bad to go outside on the astroturf. It is also used by the first team on a Sunday morning (and as a side note, the players have really impressed by the good-humoured way they dealt with wide-eyed children training beside them on occasion).

While these facilities are much better than we had at the stadium before, they could be better (eg one Sunday recently the weather meant that the Sunday morning community kids couldn't train outside and the floor inside was too slippy, so the training had to be cancelled that day). A move to better facilities could only benefit everyone, from first team, to youth players, and to the wider community.

• 2 weeks later...

Been fannying around and found a wee video of Grimsby Town's new stadium.

EXACTLY what we should be looking at in terms of getting away from the four boxes around a park tradition in Scottish Fitba' ground design.

I like the corners filled in 'arena' style it has but also the fact that the Main stand is bigger and sort of 'curved' like a 'D' on it's side, this sets it apart from the more boring 'bowl' stadiums like Doncaster, Darlington, Leicester, Southampton ec, etc.. 12,000 seats and what we should hopefully be after when it's oor turn.

Anyway, take a peak

newfmalfij1.jpg

w964.png

Been messing about in Sketchup again just seeing how an idea looked. Very similar to Kalmaar's new stadium with the touch line stands having 2 tiers and the goal side stands having a single upper tier, give it quite a compact feel.

use1wx2.th.jpg

use2um7.th.jpg

use3px1.th.jpg

newfpmalfec8.th.jpg

^Keeping the capacity down but making it look big is well tough. Ended up 13 rows all round in the top tier and 10 in the bottom tier, as seen in the above pic.

Here's how 13 rows and 10 rows looks(malmo's new stadium).....

newfp4da8.th.jpg

Not too bad I reckon. Kalmaar's cost £14 million though.......

VERY decent effort mate!!!

BIG plusses for me are

> It is far away from the 'four concrete boxes' model.

> Different even from livi's idea of basically just joining up the boxes

> However still retains a compact look about it.

>Two tiers featuring is a nice touch - bit of thought into the scale too! (Kalmaar's is 10 on top though - but I get your point!)

Not sure about the only upper tier seating behind the goals tho - Accies stands look odd with no fans directly behind the action - with some clever architecture could the roof not swoop down behind the goals allowing for the single tier seating to be lower (perhaps still just raise a bit).

Nice how you thought of different away fans - annoying as it is, the 'away' section of any new ground has to be a major consideration - if we do end up with something like your model or the grimsby model basically half a side stand has to have all the appropriate seperate exits/refreshments/toilets to allow for 4,000 Old Firm.

Good stuff though mate!!

Ally - if you're not doing anything like that professionally it's a massive waste of talent!

Like Juan Kerse though, I'm not sure about the raised seating behind the goals. Not a fan of it at Hamilton. How about the seating behind the goals being lower tier, but going slightly above that of the bottom tier running along the size, with the space above being used for a couple of scoreboards (1 at each end) and boxes etc

Not too bad I reckon. Kalmaar's cost £14 million though.......

14 million would surely be within our grasp after the sale of FP and additional funding. When the coakley deal was on, they were talking about selling motherwell for 10million. Now surely that was mostly for the stadium as a dont know what else ye would pay that kind of money for, its no like the motherwell name is a brand that would sell for that kind of cash.

Would be nice to see something different, but I'm not sure if motherwell are up to it. God forbit we end up with a feegee park, stjohnstone barr effort. The words "barr" and "character" just dont go. He's not complaining though, made a fortune.