Mcghee Talks About Leaving Fir Park

Well-Made

From a previous thread ..........

My design, but Malf's artwork. 3 sided arena with 2 tier'd stands, seating 10,000 - 11,000. On the 4th side is a complex encorporating Club offices/suites, Club Officials'/guests/dignatories/VP's seating (250ish), supporters facilities, (bars/restaurants/shop), corporate boxes/suites, media suite, leisure/hotel/retail outlets.

No retractable roof tho, sorry :lol:

Malfsviewfromhomeend.jpg

Malfs3dversionofmydesign.jpg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about that one, IMO the 4th side would just kill any atmosphere in the stadium and just look plain weird, but I agree we need all of the types of facilities you mentioned if we ever are lucky enough to get a new stadium. Much prefer the Grimsby, Doncaster Rovers, Cut down Nancy stadium look.

It's good this stadium dreaming stuff isn't it, when/if it finally becomes a reality and we get listned to "at all" I will be happy.

I think in reality any new stadium will be like the newer ones up here - i.e St Mirrens - with the four box stands round the park. If the stadium rights can be sold then there is a possibility to add to the stadium, but doubt that will happen.

However, I think there will be a huge emphasis on facilities - especially corporate. I've heard rumours that the plan is to copy Killie's set-up, with an adjacent top end hotel and bars/function halls within the stadium itself, leased out to indepent parties. The Sports Bar at Rugby park is excellent, as is the Park Hotel. This is definately a viable and feesible option for the club.

I have also heard that there is a posibility that the new Sports Complex the UWS (formelly Bell College) is building by 2012, with the help of lottery fundung, could be situated at Ravenscraig. Surrely an ideal oportunity for Motherwell to strike up a partnership, just like Hearts have with Herriot Watt and Falkirk have with Stirling Uni. Having played at both these facilities I can confirm they are of the highest quality, particuallary Stirling, and the ambitions of the UWS are to have the best facilities available in Scotland.

That all said...a new stadium is at least five years away from being announced.

If you're meaning the pitch behind FP, it's 3rd-Gen Astro Grass. The stuff with all the back rubber crap under it - certainly better than old style astro-turf!

As far as I'm aware it's only 2nd gen - which when it first opened was excellent. However, it hasn't been replaced since then and has degradded some what. The first team squad never use it for fear of injury to the players, and with the introduction of 3g a few years ago it is now very dated.

When referring to the various stadiums around Europe, do bear in mind that the construction costs vary considerably from country to country!

For example, ROI construction costs tend to be dramatically cheaper (per m2) on schools than over here. I would imagine that scandanavian construction costs would be cheaper than our also, due to the increased prefab and innovative techniques used, which remarkably reduce prelims due to the speed of construction, etc.

In short, when comparing St Mirren's with another European team is not neccesserily comparing apples with apples.

I dont think we will leave Fir Park. From what I heard, a new stadium at Ravenscraig would be part owned with the council, however Motherwell FC would be expected to cover most of the costs, yet at the same time the council want the main say on what happens in the stadium, eg say we're playing celtic next week at a stadium in Ravenscraig, the council would be able to turn round and tell us no, its being used for some other event. It would also mean other clubs renting it out, and other sports being played on the pitch, ruining it, which has been an issue over in Falkirk Stadium.

I have heard that what we are most likely to see is a new main stand built at FP and the stadium modernised, facilities improved etc, and the South Stand and the Davie Cooper Stands will be kept, not sure about the East Stand however.

Hopefully the club will let us know soon whats going to be happening, as they've been in discussions apparantley.