Scottish Football

Inverhunt

It is easy to see why Scottish Football is in the mess it is when you see the amount of foreign players arriving on our shores either as loan,trialist or short term signings. What chance is there for young Scottish players to progress in the game when you look at these foreign players coming in. In my opinion these players are no better than what can be found in Scotland. Unfortunately the EU will not allow us to return to the days of restricting the amount of foreign players at Clubs, but look at the SPL and see how much more interesting the teams would look if restricted to the 3 player foreign rule that was once in force. These foreign players are not cheap and accommodation etc has to be found for them. Now if the player is truly outstanding then everyone would truly embrace these players at the club as they would bring on the players around them. Would half these players be wanted by their Managers if they were restricted to 3 foreign players?

It just goes to show that perhaps the make up the SPL is all wrong where Managers will not show faith in their young players and instead buy in these supposed better foreign players as a result of their fear of relegation or in the Old Firms case, fear of not winning a trophy.

Motherwell are the same as any other SPL Club, trying unknown players from unheard of foreign Clubs.

The game is a mess and makes you wonder what was discussed at the SPL think tank when those Managers who attended the meeting are those taking in unheard of players??

There are many more young Scottish players coming through the ranks these days than in recent years. Even the OF are using a lot more home grown players. You can't create them overnight, however, so short term there will still be a mix of overseas and local talent in Scottish teams.

So, in other words, I think your basic premise is wrong :wallbash:

I don't think it's fair to say a managers 'make up is wrong' if they fear relegation. It's an idealistic situation you are hoping for however I'm guessing Scottish football simply don't have the number of quality youngsters coming through, at least not enough to fill out SPL first teams.

I do appreciate the sentiment of this thread however you are probably in the minority in thinking we have a few hundred Scottish youngsters in the game just now that should be getting into first teams.

Posted this originally as it is a good topic for discussion. To clarify by youngters was meaning 20/21 year old players. What has happened to Wilson, Archdaecon, Forbes, Murray etc from our reserves? Have they stagnated and if so why?

I just think that if the SPL was bigger more Scottish players would get a chance which would surely help us ultimately with the National side.

Prime example. Hamilton give James McArthy a chance and we would have to agree he is improving. Turn to the Rangers and the great prospect John Fleck. In any other team he would be playing and getting a chance however he is left getting sores from sitting on the bench. Its not like we can say that the players they have brought in are brilliant are they?

Scottish 1st,2nd and 3rd Divisions were all leagues that SPL clubs plucked players from in the past. It just doesnt seem to be happening these days.

If your good enough you will play. However, many promising youngsters never make the grade due to numerous reasons, and not just because they dont play regular 1st team football. Remember it's the players choice on where they learn the game. Signing for a bigger club carries a big risk.

As for James McArthy, Hamilton, probably did not have any other alternatives, much like Motherwell and David Clarkson, and we all see what happened to his form for a number of seasons.

As a club we do not do to badly in bringing players through. Some might never be world beaters, but the majority do a job.

Prime example. Hamilton give Turn to the Rangers and the great prospect John Fleck. In any other team he

John Fleck is 17 years old. I doubt he'd be starting for many SPL sides even if he is as good as he's hyped up to be and that's still to be proven.

I don't think there is really a problem like there was in the 1990's for Scottish young players breaking through. There is very little money about and clubs are not splashing it about willy nilly on the continent but clubs need a first team squad that is fairly experienced and if they can bring in players of a certain level at a certain price then that's what they will do. No manager is going to risk a squad full of inexperienced players no matter how talented they are. Remember what happened to us when we were forced in to doing that? That said most teams will have 3 or 4 U21 Scottish players in their first team squad and that seems a decent balance.

The best players break through, other young players just won't be good enough. Take Adam Coakley for example. Scored loads of goals at the lower levels but couldn't make the step up and is now hardly setting the heather on fire in the 2nd Division. Are you really saying if he'd had the opportunity denied to him by someone like Scott McDonald he would have done just as well?

It would be better if more young players were exposed to the national top level (i.e 16 team league) but in the current league set up I think managers are doing the best they can and almost all the clubs bring through their own players now.