"stories Coming Out Of Fir Park"

Steve Diggle

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm guessing he wouldn't excuse the guy that did it and try and pin the blame on someone else that he had a grudge against.

Nah he'd just sell the player who he had the grudge with(or his wife). Of course only after pinging a footie boot aff his coupon first as he'd pinned the blame on him for his side's 2-0 defeat.

"He didn't like my personality. I'm a bit of a character in the dressing-room and like to have a laugh. I train hard and play hard but I like to have a carry-on with the boys at the right time."

Hmmm.

While Gannon comes across as petty in that article I think the above highlighted part of McGarry's quote might answer some of his questions. Maybe it is just me but that reads as "likes a drink". You are MEANT to be a pro athlete. If you don't knuckle down, eat and train right, and look after yourself then others that do will be a step ahead of you before you even kick a ball. He has to try and be better in every way than his team mates to ensure HE is playing on a Saturday and they are not. For all Gannon's faults I'm not sure he got it wrong when it comes to McGarry.

"He didn't like my personality. I'm a bit of a character in the dressing-room and like to have a laugh. I train hard and play hard but I like to have a carry-on with the boys at the right time."

Hmmm.

While Gannon comes across as petty in that article I think the above highlighted part of McGarry's quote might answer some of his questions. Maybe it is just me but that reads as "likes a drink". You are MEANT to be a pro athlete. If you don't knuckle down, eat and train right, and look after yourself then others that do will be a step ahead of you before you even kick a ball. He has to try and be better in every way than his team mates to ensure HE is playing on a Saturday and they are not. For all Gannon's faults I'm not sure he got it wrong when it comes to McGarry.

at no point at all does that translate to "he likes a drink" and even if he was head and shoulders above the rest of his team mates he was never getting on the park as gannon had a personal grudge against him.

I think the bit you put in bold was meant as "training and playing" hard...as in football. The non-football reference was what followed that.

As I said maybe my (wrong) interpretation of the article. However, he is clearly a sodding liar :lol: If he trained so hard why was he so unfit? The guy must have been naturally unfit and fighting a losing battle! I'm sure JG wouldn't have minded him being a "character" if he felt he was fit/good enough.

Nail, head, hammer for me. Too many of our so-called footballers seem to believe the manager should be some sort of jolly fellow that just lets them do what they like when they like when in actual fact he's the poor b*stard that carries the can when they f*ck up by being unable to perform even the basics of their chosen so-called profession. It's just as well they never had to play for the likes of Shankly, Busby, Stein, Ferguson etc. etc. Poor wee lambs! :lol:

How wrong can you be? Any success we had this season was down to the players rather than the coach.

Gannon sabotaged about 10 points from us in 6 weeks with absolutely ridiculous decisions when the players 'who can't even do the basics' were dominating matches, taking leads and actually doing reasonably well. If Gannon was a "poor bastard that carried the can" then he only had himself to blame, not that he ever had the guts to admit it, since EVERYTHING was someone else's fault..

And I'd like to see you tolerating the way Gannon treated some of those players.

The guy was a clown comparing him to Shankly, Busby, Stein, Ferguson is ridiculous, those guys commanded respect through their achievements, Gannon was like one of those lizards that puffs itself up to make it look bigger than it is - at the end of the day he got found out.

The fact that it was one of the English players he brought in that sprayed him with water tells you he had very little respect from the squad in general, not just the players he victimized.

going back to the op....I've read the comments on JOB's facebook, as can anyone as it's open to all to see.

He should be ashamed of himself, not so much for the undertones about gannon but the rest of his 'wall' comments.

He is quite clearly nothing but a pisshead, who likes to tell everyone about his drinking antics, burds and afternoon naps.

Very much the professional athlete...not. There's letting your hair down and there's making an arse of yourself....I think he's more guilty of the latter....especially on a public forum.

How wrong can you be? Any success we had this season was down to the players rather than the coach.

My baws, it was both parties who created our early success. If it was simply the players, then why appoint another manager to hinder their progress???

Gannon sabotaged about 10 points from us in 6 weeks with absolutely ridiculous decisions when the players 'who can't even do the basics' were dominating matches, taking leads and actually doing reasonably well.

That's baws tae, if you think it was simply down to Gannon that we dropped points. The players made mistakes too, some were also outclassed by skill or pace.

Take the St Johnstone game, no manager and their tactics could have prevented Craigan being out-paced for the lead up to one of their goals. Likewise no manager/tactics could have prevented young Saunders making a meal of a hopeful long-ball either.

Stories like McGarry make me angry when they say things pish like "He didn't give a damn about my career - he only person he cared about was himself.". If McGarry had been any gid during his time at Motherwell, he wid have jumped ship the first chance of a bigger contract elsewhere, like a certain O'Brien and Slane appear to be daein' - I've nae sympathy for the modern-day football mercenaries and their sob stories, they only care about themselves tae!!

As someone once said, Football, Beautiful Game, Ugly Industry!! :(

- I've nae sympathy for the modern-day football mercenaries and their sob stories, they only care about themselves tae!!

As someone once said, Football, Beautiful Game, Ugly Industry!! :(

So why do you appear to be showing sympathy for Jim Gannon, he talked a good game on loyalty and showed it to another club, but in the end was preparing to screw Motherwell by constantly looking for an exit

So why do you appear to be showing sympathy for Jim Gannon, he talked a good game on loyalty and showed it to another club, but in the end was preparing to screw Motherwell by constantly looking for an exit

Forget the behind the scenes stuff. Gannon got us results that we would have been quite happy with at the beginning of the season. Lets move on.

going back to the op....I've read the comments on JOB's facebook, as can anyone as it's open to all to see.

He should be ashamed of himself, not so much for the undertones about gannon but the rest of his 'wall' comments.

He is quite clearly nothing but a pisshead, who likes to tell everyone about his drinking antics, burds and afternoon naps.

Very much the professional athlete...not. There's letting your hair down and there's making an arse of yourself....I think he's more guilty of the latter....especially on a public forum.

Woooft...straight in with a hand grenade. Bodies everywhere.

But yeah, some truth to what you say.

There's no concrete evidence to support that he was looking for another club except for not signing a contract. I'm pretty sure he spent almost 4 years at Stockport without a contract based on reading posts from Stockport fans. At present he's still unemployed so was he really looking for an exit, who can tell?

I do have sympathy for Gannon and back him on many(not all) of his decisions. I just think it's very easy to jump on the Anti-Gannon bandwagon and blame him for everything.

Nothing I've heard or read since he left has convinced me that this is nothin other than the players reacting to a difficult regime and a hutch of home truths.

Maybe McGarry should have been jogging back to the ground wi' the gaffer.

Agreed.

Lets face it Referees are shite, the Scottish Media is shite and more importantly Steve McGarry is shite!! :(

There's no concrete evidence to support that he was looking for another club except for not signing a contract. I'm pretty sure he spent almost 4 years at Stockport without a contract based on reading posts from Stockport fans. At present he's still unemployed so was he really looking for an exit, who can tell?

I do have sympathy for Gannon and back him on many(not all) of his decisions. I just think it's very easy to jump on the Anti-Gannon bandwagon and blame him for everything.

Agreed.

Lets face it Referees are shite, the Scottish Media is shite and more importantly Steve McGarry is shite!! :lol:

Are you trying to suggest steelboy isn't right after all? Shurely not. :lol:

Are you trying to suggest steelboy isn't right after all? Shurely not. :lol:

i've actually been expecting a thread where all who doubted my wise reading of the situation came on and apologised for their misdeeds and vowed to follow my sure to be correct opinion on 'well related matters in the future.

i take it you're just saving it for OSB :lol:

i've actually been expecting a thread where all who doubted my wise reading of the situation came on and apologised for their misdeeds and vowed to follow my sure to be correct opinion on 'well related matters in the future.

i take it you're just saving it for OSB :lol:

Yep absolutely, started it the other night but unsure which heading to use.

Stuck between;

Fat Calf

Yabba's Turd

Wayne Kerr

Fah Khemahl or Fe King Sanny.....

but I've filed it under "Jamesy McJimsey His Arguments are Rather Flimsy" for now.