Jim O'Brien

postiejim

Elsewhere, Hearts have joined the race for out-of-contract Motherwell winger Jim O’Brien.

Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee wants to land O’Brien either in the transfer window or on a pre-contract deal for next season.

Well have also indicated they want to speak to him about a new deal.

However, Jambos have spoken to O’Brien’s representatives about a pre-contract deal for next term

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim O Brien is a reasonable player nothing more , nothing less, i wont shed any tears when he leaves or abuse him when he returns in different colours.I am looking forward to seeing Paul Slane when he fully fit and also if the new management team make any change to the form of Ross Forbes. :wallbash:

Jim O Brien is a reasonable player nothing more , nothing less, i wont shed any tears when he leaves or abuse him when he returns in different colours.I am looking forward to seeing Paul Slane when he fully fit and also if the new management team make any change to the form of Ross Forbes. <_<

Definitely. I hope Motherwell dont get into a bidding was for a player that has flattered to decieve on countless occasions since he joined the club.

He's not faddy, but i'd say he's our level and we should aim to keep him. I'm sure everyone will end up disagreeing on this one but he does add to our game and if he left us to another SPL team would cause us problems. If he is not that good then why are two other teams with arguably greater aspirations tham ours looking to sign him?

Saying that tough, live within our means, if we can't afford to keep him then fair do's

IMO he's by far the most dangerous and productive player we have at the club, just look at the penaltys and fouls he's won us for starters. I think he will be much harder to replace than people think.

I'd agree with that.

Has been brilliant this season, I know he hasn't chipped in with goals but he is one of the most creative, get forward player's we have. He also puts in a shift EVERY game, both defensively and attacking.

I really don't think we've seen his full potential, he was on some form before all the pish started with Aberdeen and Gannon (who???) so with Gannon out the picture and if he signs on the dotted line, I think we could see him get even better.

Surely he can't be on that great a deal 1k a week maybe (not got a clue) If he wants double his wages give him it, I think he could be worth it. I think he could turn out to be a fantastic player which the club could profit nicely from.

Need to remember he's still relatively young and can definitely still develop.

Jim O Brien is a reasonable player nothing more , nothing less, i wont shed any tears when he leaves or abuse him when he returns in different colours.I am looking forward to seeing Paul Slane when he fully fit and also if the new management team make any change to the form of Ross Forbes. <_<

Assuming he not signing his own pre contract deal with Celtic!

Can only echo what Pepper & Brazil have said, i think he's defenately one of our best players at present. I was pretty much resigned to loosing him in either January or the summer under Gannon, as it was clear they didn't see eye to eye. Anyway, now Gannon's away, i'm hoping Jim might stay as i feel he could do much better than Aberdeen & Hearts for sure. If he continues to develop and progress and stays for another season at least, i predict he'll end up at a club pushing for promotion in the Championship. Still puzzles me how so many think he's gash on here... was a complete standout at Tynecastle in both his ability and work rate!

I'd love him to stay as I think he'll really flourish in the next couple of years, and I want to see that happen in Claret and Amber.

IMO he's by far the most dangerous and productive player we have at the club, just look at the penaltys and fouls he's won us for starters. I think he will be much harder to replace than people think.

I agree with this but we have to have a wage structure and stick to it. If O'Brien wants more than the club can pay then we have to let him go.

We have to look at the long term viability of the club rather then the short term benefits of a season or two and the most important thing is we keep wage costs down.

O'Brien will be a massive loss and we will definately miss him. I fail to see how people fail to see that. If it comes to a bidding war then we will lose him for sure.

Probably because they have said the same about a player every season for so long - and it hasn't been drastic on our SPL campaigns. McFadden, Pearson not to mention Motherwell fans going onto Suicide Watch when McDonald left because "He was the only one that could score - he saved us from relegation man, we're doomed!!!!!11111oneoneone"

So will I. I think he's quality for a team like us, but it is not new and unless a rich consortuim or such buys Motherwell FC and we becomes a Sugar Daddy club then it's going to happen next season, and the season etc. after that unfortunately - so I try not get upset when players who have given us a turn - like O'Brien - choose to find a new club for more money... as long as they continue to do their best for MFC while here - now if Paul Slane rumour is correct he just an idiotic wanker but that for the other thread :angry: .

A wee club like us is dependent upon developing young talent like Jim O'Brien. He's not the finished article but possesses sufficient flair to stand out against many SPL players. I hope Grandpa Brown can persuade him to stay. However he is a free agent, been messed about by Gannon and unsure who the next gaffer will be at Fir Park.

Let's not set too much store in young Slane. He is only a very young prospect who has to date, shown a glimmer of talent.

BROWN TELLS O'BRIEN TO WAIT

By Gavin McCafferty, Press Association Sport

Craig Brown has told Jim O'Brien to follow the example of James McFadden and wait until he has firmly established as a Motherwell hero before leaving Fir Park.

The Motherwell interim manager tried to sign McFadden while he was in charge of Preston but the then teenager waited until he had won Scotland caps and netted 32 goals for Well before sealing a £1.25million switch to Everton.

Aberdeen are aiming to secure 22-year-old winger O'Brien on a pre-contract deal while Hearts are reported to have joined the race for his signature.

But the departure of ousted boss Jim Gannon, who sidelined O'Brien during the last weeks of his reign, has offered fresh hope that the former Celtic player could extend his stay at Fir Park beyond the summer.

"I would like to think Jim will want to stay here," Brown said.

"He is a very, very good player. We would like to keep all our good players.

"It is understandable that there may be interest elsewhere but I always feel there is a time for a player to move and it's not always when you have just had half a season.

"He will be a far more lucrative proposition to Motherwell and an interested club if he is established here.

"James McFadden is the perfect example. James could have gone earlier, I could have taken him to Preston, we were interested in him there.

"But whoever advised him said 'stay longer and you will get a better move'.

"And, I've got to say, Everton was a better move than Preston.

"So in the likes of O'Brien and any of the other younger players, there is an optimum time to make a move."

Brown is still awaiting his first match in complete control - youth coach Gordon Young picked the team for the 1-0 defeat by Hearts - after Motherwell's Active Nation Scottish Cup clash at Inverness was postponed.

But Young has had better luck - he is set to jet off to Cyprus for a two-week training camp with his under-19 squad as part of the EC-funded Leonardo Da Vinci mobility programme.

Like many, I was pretty dubious at first when I heard we had brought in Craig Brown, but you can't deny he does come across well and does talk a great deal of sense. He's certainly winning me over for one. Hopefully some of his 'wisdom' can get through to a few of our younger players and get them to realise that the grass isn't always greener.

Like many, I was pretty dubious at first when I heard we had brought in Craig Brown, but you can't deny he does come across well and does talk a great deal of sense. He's certainly winning me over for one. Hopefully some of his 'wisdom' can get through to a few of our younger players and get them to realise that the grass isn't always greener.

absolutely kirky .. couldn't agree more .. I'm increasingly finding myself hoping that Brown gets a decent shot at this job.