Jim O'Brien

postiejim

Like many, I was pretty dubious at first when I heard we had brought in Craig Brown, but you can't deny he does come across well and does talk a great deal of sense. He's certainly winning me over for one. Hopefully some of his 'wisdom' can get through to a few of our younger players and get them to realise that the grass isn't always greener.

felt the same about gannon and mcghee and it didnt work out the way i thought it would in the long term.

aside from the way he has come across, i hope he does get it based on his and knoxs knowledge and previous credentials in the game.

the fact he talks a good game is just a bonus for me!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because they have said the same about a player every season for so long - and it hasn't been drastic on our SPL campaigns. McFadden, Pearson not to mention Motherwell fans going onto Suicide Watch when McDonald left because "He was the only one that could score - he saved us from relegation man, we're doomed!!!!!11111oneoneone"

I appreciate what you are saying, Pearson and McFadden leaving didn't have a detrimental effect on our seasons, I think McDonald's goals definitely did keep us up that season. I don't see a way we would have survived otherwise? When Faddy and Pearson left we had Clarkson and Adams both chipping in with a healthy amount, if McDonald hadn't scored so many that season our next top scorer was Reynolds with 3! And McCormack leaving did have a big effect on us too, much more than I'd have thought. The first half of last season we had a team that looked devoid of any flair or creativity- something which changed when O'Brien came onto the game. I know no one player is bigger than the team, but you want to keep your good players and O'Brien is one of them!

absolutely kirky .. couldn't agree more .. I'm increasingly finding myself hoping that Brown gets a decent shot at this job.

Nobody, in the early days, filled you with more optimism when he spoke than JG. I will wait and see how we do against ICT, Killie, and St. Mirren before making my mind up.

• 2 weeks later...
Nobody, in the early days, filled you with more optimism when he spoke than JG. I will wait and see how we do against ICT, Killie, and St. Mirren before making my mind up.

fair dooos finlay

i was a 100% gannon believer

at least until the StJ game so no great foresight from me there

all the same .. from the moment Broony was brought in I've found myself pleasantly surprised with each and every thing he's done and said

i dont think i'm getting carried away here .. all i've said is that i'd like to see CB to get a decent shot at the job .. everything else aside i think it's refreshing to hear an SPL manager talk to the press without malice, resentment or bitterness. any other SPL managers capable of that?

add to that a very fine win today and I can't see why he shouldn't get a chance.

as for JOB ... absolutely delighted that he got a couple of goals today! ... with any luck CB can steady the ship and convince him to stay.

I too was impressed by Gannon at the beginning, although to be honest I had never heard of the guy. That's all history now and Brown has been smartly impressive. O'Brien had a fabulous game today and should get a lot of well deserved credit, whether he stays or goes is not a huge issue in the big scheme of things.

With every passing article you realise that Gannon, whilst a good football manager, obviously has no people skills at all and unless he sorts it he'll not get far in the football world.

ANyway as for Jim O'Brien, always thought he was a bit underrated and then every time he turns the corner throws in a couple of duff performances. But I think enjoyment is everything to a winger and if he is enjoying his football then he will do well for us. At the start of this season he excited me more than anything else. However, regardless of the method of it being done, he deserved to be dropped when he was on performances. Hope this time he is back for the season with a performance like the one I heard he produced yesterday.

I think it's maybe a reflection on Browns management that O'Brien managed to get 2 goals yesterday. Twice he found himself in a position he's no usually in and got two goals for it, I get the impression Brown has a bit more faith in the players to make decisions for themselves. We mixed it up well yesterday and were clearly trying to make progress where the space opened up, regardless of where it was on the pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

JOB is a bit of an enigma to be sure.....he sometimes flatters to deceive and there are games where his trickery amounts to little, yet he is a creative force and when he is on his game v killie and Dons (for example) then he can be the difference between 3 points, 1 point or getting none.

I hope MM does not make a last ditch effort to prise him from our hands with the reported £500k they are about to get for Miller from Boro. Both are out of contract in the summer and out of the two I would rather have JOB. Yet it would not surprise me to see us getting a derisory offer of £50-100k..

I doubt we could match or get near the wages that Aberdeen or Hearts (especially) could or would offer and that is assuming no-one from down south comes in with a bid. Like to see him stay till the summer unless we get offered silly money...thereafter I suspect he will be offski - hope I am wrong but it is more than likely.

What we must not do is sell him to one of our nearest rivals for a top 6 spot :wallbash:

Jim is playing well and telling all and sundry how happy he is here , lets get him tied up on a new contract NOW.

That certainly surprises me. Thought he would be quite eager to try himself at a 'higher level' whether that be(in his mind) Hearts, Aberdeen, or down south.

Jim is playing well and telling all and sundry how happy he is here , lets get him tied up on a new contract NOW.

Ross McCormack said the same thing and he buggered off.. it is all down to the money. England beckons me thinks and good luck to him, he has been dropped a fair few times and never ran to the press to complain. seems a nice enough guy and if he does go, he goes with my best wishes.

Lee

if aberdeen sell lee miller i wouldny rule them out making a cheeky bid for jim o'brien before the transfer window shuts especially after his performance yesterday

Aye, this has crossed my mind too. Not the best for us if it happens at this stage. I would rather he went in the summer.

Stay with us, improve even more the next 18 months, get a big-money move down South perhaps. Go to Aberdeen, get bogged down in a constant struggle in their 1983 timewarp, and become another "nearly" player. Makes sense to remain where you are, Jim.

I think O'Brien will know by now that it would be a step downwards if he moved to Aberdeen. Like the others above i wouldn't be surprised if they sell Miller and offer us £20,000 <_<

noticed some scaberdeen fans talking on their forum and they seem to think Mark McGOO spoke to the powers that be at motherwell about jim o'brien. The outcome of this was give us 20k and they will get o'brien, but the board at scaberdeen said they didn't have 20k to spend on a player. Some serious drug abuse going on within the scaberdeen support if they think JOB is only worth 20k.

the board at scaberdeen said they didn't have 20k to spend on a player.

They are up to their eyeballs in debt and trying to fund a new stadium which for some reason they believe is imperative to their clubs survival. Milne believes Aberdeen will die if they remain at Pittodrie. McGhee has been told to forget about transfer funds for this season and next.