Our Relationship With Fans, The Mfc Trust And The Supporters Association

Leeann Dempster

I thought I would open up a new topic for discussion. I have briefly summarised some thoughts below.

Our relationship with fans, the MFC Trust and the Supporters Association and how important it is for all concerned.

Most of you who visit this forum will likely be well versed by now on the direction in which I am trying to drive the club. For those of you who have not heard me repeat time and again, essentially our future lies in our own hands and that is the fans and the community at large. Our goal must be to aspire to become, amongst other things, the best supported club in Scotland, the best family club in Scotland, the best community club in Scotland etc. All of which we can only try to aspire to with your help.

Fans are our club and they are the most important thing to the club.

Point for discussion

I would like us all to consider the opportunity for more direct fans involvement. This could take the shape of a Supporters Advisory Committee perhaps made up of representatives from the MFC Trust and the Supporters Association and importantly representatives of those who are not involved in either. Personally I think such a committee would be an excellent way to involve fans in the more challenging decisions faced by the club. I think it also shows commitment to be more inclusive, would / could forge a better relationship and give fans a firm understanding of some of the more painful decisions that on the face of it seem unpopular.

Thoughts, alternative ideas, challenges please…

Also I would be appreciative if someone would post this topic onto Fir Park Corner for me please

Leeann

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would open up a new topic for discussion. I have briefly summarised some thoughts below.

Our relationship with fans, the MFC Trust and the Supporters Association and how important it is for all concerned.

Most of you who visit this forum will likely be well versed by now on the direction in which I am trying to drive the club. For those of you who have not heard me repeat time and again, essentially our future lies in our own hands and that is the fans and the community at large. Our goal must be to aspire to become, amongst other things, the best supported club in Scotland, the best family club in Scotland, the best community club in Scotland etc. All of which we can only try to aspire to with your help.

Fans are our club and they are the most important thing to the club.

Point for discussion

I would like us all to consider the opportunity for more direct fans involvement. This could take the shape of a Supporters Advisory Committee perhaps made up of representatives from the MFC Trust and the Supporters Association and importantly representatives of those who are not involved in either. Personally I think such a committee would be an excellent way to involve fans in the more challenging decisions faced by the club. I think it also shows commitment to be more inclusive, would / could forge a better relationship and give fans a firm understanding of some of the more painful decisions that on the face of it seem unpopular.

Thoughts, alternative ideas, challenges please…

Also I would be appreciative if someone would post this topic onto Fir Park Corner for me please

Leeann

Frazzle and Speedie will be moist at the opportunity to be on another committee...... :thumbup:

a different title would be preferable :D

What would you suggest.

Fans Advisory Committee? :nod:

Personally I think you'll go a long way to beat Motherwell Supporters Society :(

Anyways back on topic, anything that brings fans and club closer can only be good, been banging this particular drum for many years so it's nice to see someone finally taking up the cudgel and actually doing something about it. Good luck with it Leeann.

Leeann

Thank you for taking the leap and asking us directly for our input. It's the first time I personally have had an insight into the clubs vision and goals. What you have said resonates with me and I'm delighted we seem to have a clear direction.

This type of direct communication alone is a positive step in my opinion.

I think most fans are aware that managing the club is an extremely difficult job and decisions are made with a view to what is in the best interests of the club. When difficult decisions are made all that I want is an explanation of the reasons why the club acted in the way that it did and if relevant why on the face of it a more appealing option wasn't taken. The official website or online fans forums are the perfect media for this.

Specifically in terms of an Advisory Committee again I think this is a positive suggestion. As I'm sure you know it would have to be managed properly and have the right people on it to be a success. Neither of these requiremenst are an easy ask.

I'm keen to hear other views and feedback from you when you have had a chance to digest it all.

What about a forum on this site (and others) where suggestions can be put and we can then get official answers straight from the club about them - anything from money-making ideas to hey, why are the pies minging and the bovril like watery you-know-what. When is teh catering contract up? That kinda thing? (Although, I daresay we'd end up with questions about paint drips on the stairs... :( )

Plus, it would be a way of fans letting the club know of wee things that are wrong with the stadium that they mighta missed - ya know, like the tap in the men's bogs in the East stand is leaking etc etc. Or is that a bit too nit-picky?

Also, some sort of committee to let the manager know who to pick and what tactics/formation to play... You can choose from a different 'lucky forum member' every week. :nod:

Leeann you said "I would like us all to consider the opportunity for more direct fans involvement. This could take the shape of a Supporters Advisory Committee perhaps made up of representatives from the MFC Trust and the Supporters Association and importantly representatives of those who are not involved in either".

I must admit it is something that interests me. When do you plan/hope to have this up and running by?

I think it would be great if there was something on here where users can submit questions. For example each month users could post questions in a topic before a deadline, and after that have a poll where we choose which is the best or most pressing question we would like officially answered and the one with the most votes could be answered by someone from inside MFC if feasible, obviously not all questions we as supporters have can be answered but if some were it would be a great start.

Leeann you said "I would like us all to consider the opportunity for more direct fans involvement. This could take the shape of a Supporters Advisory Committee perhaps made up of representatives from the MFC Trust and the Supporters Association and importantly representatives of those who are not involved in either".

I must admit it is something that interests me. When do you plan/hope to have this up and running by?

+1

I think there are some really strong views either way on every topic affecting our club. They need to be aired / thrashed out / understood and fed back to the board in the same way that we need to understand the reasoning behind some of the decisions.

We're a community club and we should be more innovative than we are. we should be breaking the mould and encouraging community involvement.

i.e like i said elsewhere, lets take this standing at the game thing and do something sensible with it for a kick off. (i like to sit on my 'tocks at the game however I just cringe at the resources wasted trying to get folk to sit down who are doing no harm)

I think the club's relationship with fans is important and I am pleased that they are open to suggestions. My feeling is we have the Trust and the Supporters Association with their separate constitutions and reasons for existance and behind that there are reasons that people will not join these groups. However I question if Motherwell is big enough that it could justify a third official supporters group as I think all it will do is dilute the aims and objectives of each other and we'd end up with three OK organisations. To me the club should let the rebranded Trust develop for a year or two before setting something independent up and then look at it then and see what the gap is and then work with the Supporters Association and Trust to see if they could cover them or whether a new organisation.

In the meantime I think the club should do three things:

• Anonymous feedback section on the Club website (details could be included voluntarily) about anything within Fir Park. Could then post up official answers on the web. Think it is important this kind of thing is on official site rather than here so club has complete control of information provided.
  • A series of one off focus groups regarding the fans' views on the club. A cross section of Trust, supporters association could easily be picked if the other organisations provide a members list to the club. The club must have a huge database of fans from season ticket holders and also those who have bought away tickets over time.
  • A questionnaire to all season ticket holders at renewal time.

I think the club's relationship with fans is important and I am pleased that they are open to suggestions. My feeling is we have the Trust and the Supporters Association with their separate constitutions and reasons for existance and behind that there are reasons that people will not join these groups. However I question if Motherwell is big enough that it could justify a third official supporters group as I think all it will do is dilute the aims and objectives of each other and we'd end up with three OK organisations. To me the club should let the rebranded Trust develop for a year or two before setting something independent up and then look at it then and see what the gap is and then work with the Supporters Association and Trust to see if they could cover them or whether a new organisation.

In the meantime I think the club should do three things:

• Anonymous feedback section on the Club website (details could be included voluntarily) about anything within Fir Park. Could then post up official answers on the web. Think it is important this kind of thing is on official site rather than here so club has complete control of information provided.
  • A series of one off focus groups regarding the fans' views on the club. A cross section of Trust, supporters association could easily be picked if the other organisations provide a members list to the club. The club must have a huge database of fans from season ticket holders and also those who have bought away tickets over time.
  • A questionnaire to all season ticket holders at renewal time.

Why should the club wait till the Trust "develops" while in the meantime the club could be doing something positive? I know there have been recent changes in the Trust but they've got a long way to go before they can actually say that this time they actually are making a difference.

I'm with those who think a properly run Q&A session would be a great start. Why not on the official website rather than on here or FPC? then that way the club can raise the profile of it.

I think this is a good idea as it will let Fans of all ages put there thoughts forward to help the Club progress.

In the past I have e-mailed Leeann with a problem and suggestion how to fix it she put out a memo and used my suggestion so it does work.

If the Club know of problems or suggestions it will help us move forward.

Sorry to disagre with you Tweed but I think Leeann's suggestion of a Supporters forum is a great idea.

Not every Well fan is a member of this site, FPC or the Trust and their views are just as important as anybody elses.

Some fans could possibly not even have access to the internet but this should not preclude them from having an input.

The main problem I see is how do you select the fans who are going to be part of it.

We all knew of folk on here who just like to start an argument for the sake of it and that's the type we really need to make sure are not involved.

I agree that a Q&A section is a good idea and we could try to ensure that only sensible questions were put forward to the club.

Good luck with this initiative Leeann.

Mon the Dossers.

The Trust have been talking about arranging more 'Meet the manager' style events with different people from the club, the press and even the Trust itself every now and then, so I'd support any sort of initiative from the club to communicate better with the fans, and it's refreshing to see that it has been realised that listenning is just as important as talking.

What I would say, though, is that if a panel of fans was going to be put together to brainstorm ideas for the club, it would leave a big part of the Trust redundant. Having said that, if the fans were being listenned to consistently and improvements were being made where needed, then I'd be quite happy for the Trust to be redundant. I think what both the MST and the Supporters Association need to realise is that Motherwell FC is the reason we do what we do, and is far, far more important than our two groups put together. Being too protective of agendas is what has stopped the two organisations co-operating in the past and that has to stop pronto for this to have any chance of working. Great idea in theory though.

thats the part that interests me. were probably the one team in Scotland that could acheive this imo. i mean if we could some get a stangle hold on the bigger places in lanarkshire as a whole then we could potentially have a massive support. would take a lot of finances, know how and effort though. over and out

thats the part that interests me. were probably the one team in Scotland that could acheive this imo. i mean if we could some get a stangle hold on the bigger places in lanarkshire as a whole then we could potentially have a massive support. would take a lot of finances, know how and effort though. over and out

There is absolutely no way we could achieve that title, unless we start:

a) Winning things and/or

b) Attaching ourselves to a religion and encourage our fans to hate everyone else.

Its good to have goals however is it not?

and why can we not be the best supported club in Scotland for exactly the opposite reasons you list

remember best is not always largest ( not what I'm used to saying :huh: )

So many ways to be the best without having to resort to hatred or division.

Leeann

Thank you for taking the leap and asking us directly for our input. It's the first time I personally have had an insight into the clubs vision and goals. What you have said resonates with me and I'm delighted we seem to have a clear direction.

This type of direct communication alone is a positive step in my opinion.

I think most fans are aware that managing the club is an extremely difficult job and decisions are made with a view to what is in the best interests of the club. When difficult decisions are made all that I want is an explanation of the reasons why the club acted in the way that it did and if relevant why on the face of it a more appealing option wasn't taken. The official website or online fans forums are the perfect media for this.

Specifically in terms of an Advisory Committee again I think this is a positive suggestion. As I'm sure you know it would have to be managed properly and have the right people on it to be a success. Neither of these requiremenst are an easy ask.

I'm keen to hear other views and feedback from you when you have had a chance to digest it all.

Very well put mate :whistling: Best sums up my thoughts on this.

To hark back to Leanne's original post I am delighted that she see's a position(s) on this commitee from an individual(s) not already involved in the Trust and/or Association. It's imporant to have new/different blood imho

Well done Leanne, and best of luck. If I wasn't 200 miles away I'd offer my services.

There are certainly a lot of users on here that can tell anyone that cares to listen what is wrong with the club and how it is run so it is a great initiative on Leann's part to try to organise it.

The easiest way I could see is by a certain topic being raised weekly / monthly by a club official or by a 'suggestion box' method and open it up to all for questions. Add in to this the power to delete any unnecessary tirades or irrelevent points and you could have a very good discussion tool that doesn't decend into a free for all.

Here's hoping it gets of the ground and is supported by all.

There's a lot to be said in favour of better communications with the paying customer, but without strict perimeters the club's management could be consumed with answering all the questions we'd all personally have that it could easily detract fro their primary task of running the club successfully. In simple economic terms, with limited resources, the club needs to to focus on a few major priorities.

Running a few focus groups, and selecting specific types of people could be more efficient than running an Q&A board on any topic an individual supported might have a thought about. When you read a wide range of comments on the various forums you can just imagine how much help many posters would be to serious matters when they can't even be civil to each other on minor issues.

Boyle has put his money into the club and has appointed a management structure to get results, and the last thing I think he'd want is a free for all telling him how to run the show. Bit like the inmates running the clink.

I'm really impressed with Leeann from what I've seen of her, and I applaud her intention to be closer to the supporters for many reasons, but I don't think she should abdicate her responsibilities to us. Heck, her inbox would be full after every game ans she'd have to wade through a lot of bad language from all the dossers who get online once they'e back from the pub.

Of course it would likely be delegated to you know who, but what might make sense is a site that maybe took on two or three questions a week rather then create expectations among us that swamp and sink the boat.