Brian Mclean

SuperSteelman

Just wondering if anyone knows how the big man is doing on his road to recovery, is he training yet and when is he due to return?

he was on the bench against st mirren mate.he was out doing a lot of running at the warm up quite a bit before the rest of the team came out for theres

After much ducking and diving and trying to see who the big lanky, Brian McLean-esque guy was I eventually realised that it was infact Brian McLean and was in and about the pre-match warm up against St Mirren.

He was doing a fair bit of running about himself, don't know if he done everything along with the squad but, he was kitted out on his training gear doing sprints etc himself.

Even had a shot or two with the subs before the KO and buried one in the top bag.

So, least we know hes standing, walking, running and shooting perfectly fine, cant see it being to much longer now until hes back with the reserves possibly?

Edit - dont think he was on the bench though?

After much ducking and diving and trying to see who the big lanky, Brian McLean-esque guy was I eventually realised that it was infact Brian McLean and was in and about the pre-match warm up against St Mirren.

He was doing a fair bit of running about himself, don't know if he done everything along with the squad but, he was kitted out on his training gear doing sprints etc himself.

Even had a shot or two with the subs before the KO and buried one in the top bag.

So, least we know hes standing, walking, running and shooting perfectly fine, cant see it being to much longer now until hes back with the reserves possibly?

Edit - dont think he was on the bench though?

That's great news as i hadn't heard any news of him in a long time, hopefully won't be long before he's back into full training and pushing for a first team start.

Crackin' to see him back and moving freely.

Terrible what happened to him against Cluj.

But, everyone is banging on about needing to sign another defender as cover. Having McLean fit again will be the equivelant of a new signing for us. Fair enough he ain't the giant centre back we all want who will command the box (cos well he did get outjumped by McDonald last season). But, he is certainly more than good enough to be adequate cover. Combine that with Klimpl being versatile, and McLean himself being rather versatile CB, RB, RM, CM (at a push).

Maybe that defender isn't such a great priority as we first thought..

Crackin' to see him back and moving freely.

Terrible what happened to him against Cluj.

But, everyone is banging on about needing to sign another defender as cover. Having McLean fit again will be the equivelant of a new signing for us. Fair enough he ain't the giant centre back we all want who will command the box (cos well he did get outjumped by McDonald last season). But, he is certainly more than good enough to be adequate cover. Combine that with Klimpl being versatile, and McLean himself being rather versatile CB, RB, RM, CM (at a push).

Maybe that defender isn't such a great priority as we first thought..

That's terrific news, always been a fan of the big man, much more impressed with him at right back though than in central defence. I'd rather have him in that position than Coach to be honest.

The big man certainly deserves a lucky break, if you pardon the pun. Here's hoping he can enjoy and injury-free run and play some fitba.

Absolutely delighted to see Stretch on his way back. He was really coming back into things when he was assaulted (no other word for it) in pre-season. Hope he is back to his best, deserves all the luck going.

You did see in the technical area against St Mirren, just the wrong one, his brother was the 4th official.

That raises an interesting question - for me anyway!

Can Steven officiate in a match involving Brian? Are there any rules involving family members?

Eddie Smith has obviously refereed his brother-in-law and nephew(s?) before now, but are there rules for blood relatives?

From the Sunday Mail

I almost quit after Cluj player put me in hospital, says Motherwell star Brian McLean

Jan 11 2009 By Scott Mcdermott

DEVASTATED Brian McLean lay in an Austrian hospital bed and decided he was finished with football.

Enough was enough for the big Motherwell defender. He'd suffered his second cruciate knee injury in three years after a horrific tackle during a pre-season friendly.

Argentine hatchet-man Diego Ruiz left McLean in agony then he and his CFR Cluj team-mates taunted the stricken star and told him to get up.

Hours later, as the young Scot contemplated another six months of rehab, he was all set to quit.

If he'd flown home from Well's training camp in Obertraun that night he may well have.

But three days of getting pelters from Mark McGhee's squad made Brian realise he couldn't turn his back on the game he loves.

Now, ahead of schedule, the 23-year-old is back training and should be available for selection in a month.

McLean made a surprise appearance in front of Motherwell fans last week with a rigorous warm-up at Love Street before the 0-0 draw.

That meant a lot to the former Rangers kid who has shown incredible determination and resilience.

Speaking for the first time about his injury hell Brian said: "It's just great to be kicking a ball again.

"The physio agreed I could join in with the warm-up for last Saturday's game. That was important because it let the fans know I'll be back soon.

"I remember taking a heavy touch against Cluj after coming off the bench. In the first half there were times the boys could have gone in hard but didn't - they were holding back.

"But I'm not that type. I just slid in to a tackle and didn't see it coming.

"Next thing I knew there were six guys carrying me off and I had a camera in my face. It was heated for a friendly."

McLean never received an apology from Ruiz or Champions League side Cluj for the career-threatening injury. But he isn't bitter.

After the initial devastation the likes of John Kennedy and Well skipper Stephen Craigan helped ease the hurt.

Brian said: "The following day in hospital in Austria I felt like quitting football.

"The thought of going through X-rays and operations again was just soul-destroying. That was aside from the pain.

"Thankfully, because we were in the Alps, hospitals are set up for skiing injuries so I had the best service.

"I stayed with the boys when I could have flown home early. That worked out well because I was rooming with Stephen and he was a massive help.

"There's no sympathy - you just get slaughtered by the boys regardless of whether you've got one leg or two!

"Those few days with the players helped me focus on what lay ahead and made me determined to get back fitter than ever.

"John was on trial with us in Austria and was a big help too - I was bouncing questions off him. He had been out for two-and-a-half years so I realised I could be worse off.

"I've had no apology from Cluj or Ruiz. It's quite poor how they've acted.

"It's hard to take when you are on the ground and they're shouting 'Get up, there's nothing wrong with you.'"

McLean has been cursed since he moved to Fir Park permanently in 2006.

Both his cruciate injuries happened on the 17th of the month and on his previous visit to Obertraun a year earlier he suffered a cartilage problem.

Brian is praying the heartache is finally over and said: "I'm itching to get back playing and glad I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

"The fans have been great - they stop to ask how the knee is. It's nice they remember me."