Steve Jennings

fizoxy

From what I've seen of Jennings in the few appearances he's made he looks like a decent player, but hasn't had the chance to really show what he can do as he seems to be behind Lasley, Coke, and Hateley for a midfield spot. Now that Coke will be suspended, does anyone see Jennings taking his spot and holding onto it?

If not, does no one else think there's a possibiilty of him heading back down south in the window?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really like Jennings to get a run in the side - by his own admission he wasn't fit when he arrived, he didn't really make it back to match fitness until November I think... He looks like a much tidier, more composed version of Klimpl - someone that would be a great addition to the team.

I like Jennings - i think he looks like a top talent but he hasn't been afforded the same patience as The Duke or even the much maligned yass for example.

I think we need to look at his contract situation soon.

And it has been a source of amusement for some time - the Lasley gay icon thing. Absolutely screaming out of some posts.

Jennings is too slow for SPL football in my book. When given time to play a pass and move he is excellent, but in the hurly burly midfield battles of the SPL he looks way of the pace.

The one game where I thought he was excellent was the 0-0 game against Rangers, he came on and ran the show for about 20 minutes, but apart from that he has done nothing to impress me.

Jenno just needs a run of games. He hasn't had the opportunity yet to get used to the pace on a weekly basis. Once this happens we will be looking at a real quality midfielder for us.

By the time this happens it'll be the end of the season and he'll be back down south with another club. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out for him up here and I can't see him being offered an extension to his current deal.

He's not had a proper run of games yet. I think if he got that we would see the best of him. He has looked good on occassions, but at times has looked a bit slow also.

It didn't help that he looked about 2 stone overweight when he joined us. His lack of fitness has probably cost him a run of games and we just don't have the luxury to accommodate that sort of player at Fir Park.

Lasley has been afforded the John Kennedy status (the longer he was out the team the better he became)

Yeah, great analysis.

Maybe Lasley got better because since he started the last three league matches we've won two and drawn the other after a long dismal run; he's also been one of the best players on the park during that period (not my opinion, check the MotM polls).

I've nothing particularly against Jennings but he's fourth choice right now for a reason - he's not played as well or done as much Coke, Hateley or Lasley. When he got a 4 match run we lost every game, perhaps not entirely his fault but its doesn't great reading if you are trying to force your way into a team.

He'll probably get a chance again now that Coke is out, it's up to him to grab it. If he doesn't well that's football, when you get a chance you've got to take it.

It didn't help that he looked about 2 stone overweight when he joined us. His lack of fitness has probably cost him a run of games and we just don't have the luxury to accommodate that sort of player at Fir Park.

He looks much fitter now to be fair - not hard as you are right he was a bit of a fat pie when he came and seemed affy nervous.

Decent player, would sign him up.

I also like Jennings, don't think he has had a fair crack at the whip so far and i definitely think he has something that Lasley doesn't, it has to be said though that Lasley has had some outstanding performances recently and i think it would be unfair to drop him. Looks like he will have to wait for his chance but i think the longer it goes without playing regularly then the more likely he is to want to make a return down south. Hopefully we can sign him on a longer deal and give him time to prove himself.

Slightly off topic, but what a 3rd goal from McCormack!

Back on topic, I mind Jenning's debut and he was horrible, really looked to be struggling with both fitness and nerves. Any time I've seen him play since he's been a totally different player. I hope he gets a chance on Saturday, and hopefully he takes it too! I'm not Lasley's biggest fan, but he was great against St Mirren and other folk have said he's been good in the last couple of games as well.

Would a Jennings / Lasley partnership work in the middle?

By the time this happens it'll be the end of the season and he'll be back down south with another club. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out for him up here and I can't see him being offered an extension to his current deal.

Agree with this. Still looks really sloe imo. His Motherwell career highlight could end up starting and finishing with that goal against St Johnstone.

• 1 month later...