Motherwell Fantasy Kits

underboyleheating

I've got this remarkably similar retro Roma top.

4093zoom.jpg

This style of hooped chest shirt was very popular in the 60's. Like all classic retro designs they tend to make a comeback every now and then. That's the beauty of good shirt design if it isn't broke there is no need to fix it. The whole recent Umbro kit revival was based on their classic kit archive. All they did was give teams classic kits a slight modern twist.

Our 4 year kit deal with Genesis Sports finishes at the end of this coming season. I personally have been very happy with our kits from Genesis/Puma, however I wondered what everyone thoughts are on the subject.?

Genesis only deal with Puma gear so if you would like to see the Well kitted out in adidas, Nike or any other brand we would need to move suppliers. Or are you happy to see the Well kitted out in Puma gear for a few more years yet?

Personally I think the quality of all modern football shirts is rank.

I therefore don't really care who makes it for us as long as they keep the amber shirt and claret band/hoop. They can do what they want with the training and 3rd strips but please please please retain an element of claret or amber in the away strip.

I'd be quite happy for Underboyleheating to design our strips for as long as he has the energy to do so.

Whilst I might have some slight reservations about this years designs I think over the piece the arrangement between Motherwell and Puma via Genesis has been excellent.

In terms of designs, opinions vary of course, but generally I think we have made a great deal of their templates and over and above that they produced a classic kit for the 125th anniversary of the club.

From a club shop buyers perspective I think its been good too. When browsing in the club shop when looking for a Father's Day gift for example I was surprised to see just the volume of sizing options the replica kits came in with what appeared to be ample levels of stock too. Gone the days when, once it was gone, it was gone.

And when you think that they managed to have next season's kit unveiled and on sale for supporters before the end of last season. If not unprecedented its still bloody good going nonetheless.

No, I'd be perfectly happy if the club extended their relationship with Genesis.

Our 4 year kit deal with Genesis Sports finishes at the end of this coming season. I personally have been very happy with our kits from Genesis/Puma, however I wondered what everyone thoughts are on the subject.?

Genesis only deal with Puma gear so if you would like to see the Well kitted out in adidas, Nike or any other brand we would need to move suppliers. Or are you happy to see the Well kitted out in Puma gear for a few more years yet?

Puma urnae the worst kit manufacturers we've had, happy to stay with them but this seasons choices are poor.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there is a break in the tennis, here's one I did a little while back but forgot to post on here.

I am a sucker for white away kits with claret and amber hoops. Our last attempt at this design was spoilt in my opinion by a some what clumsy blue Zoom Airlines logo. A much better effort was done in the late 50s early 60s by Umbro. Sadly Umbro have all but disappeared from the UK football scene when they were sold by Nike to the Iconix Group for just £140 million, despite buying them for £377 million in 2008. They now mainly supply kits to teams abroad and will be a sad loss to the professional UK football kit scene. Umbro were the one company whom I wish we had had a deal with when they were going through that mini revival. They always took great care to research a clubs kit history and their designs always seemed to reflect that.

This Umbro template had quite an odd looking collar, however it doesn't look too bad when given the C&A treatment.

Have to say that this kit looks fantastic, pity we have nothing like it at present.

It made me think of a white away kit I saw us use in season 86/87 (I think) at an away game at Tannadice when I was studying at Dundee Uni. Midweek game and we got humped four nil with both our fullbacks scoring own goals- the second fro0m Philiben was a cracker worthy of Andy Lynch. The only upsides was the classy white kit we were wearing on the day. Anyone got any pics of the away kit from that time?

Since there is a break in the tennis, here’s one I did a little while back but forgot to post on here.

I am a sucker for white away kits with claret and amber hoops. Our last attempt at this design was spoilt in my opinion by a some what clumsy blue Zoom Airlines logo. A much better effort was done in the late 50s early 60s by Umbro. Sadly Umbro have all but disappeared from the UK football scene when they were sold by Nike to the Iconix Group for just £140 million, despite buying them for £377 million in 2008. They now mainly supply kits to teams abroad and will be a sad loss to the professional UK football kit scene. Umbro were the one company whom I wish we had had a deal with when they were going through that mini revival. They always took great care to research a clubs kit history and their designs always seemed to reflect that.

This Umbro template had quite an odd looking collar, however it doesn't look too bad when given the C&A treatment.

Tremendous!

Umbro are probably the best strip designs out there, IMO.

Have to say that this kit looks fantastic, pity we have nothing like it at present.

It made me think of a white away kit I saw us use in season 86/87 (I think) at an away game at Tannadice when I was studying at Dundee Uni. Midweek game and we got humped four nil with both our fullbacks scoring own goals- the second fro0m Philiben was a cracker worthy of Andy Lynch. The only upsides was the classy white kit we were wearing on the day. Anyone got any pics of the away kit from that time?

Haven't got a pic but I have one of the tops upstairs, Umbro made that one, club sold unused tops at the end of the season I got long sleeved NO.11, belter!

I am fairly happy with the Puma gear, I've always liked their stuff.

Not too enamoured of this seasons strips though, the neck of the home strip is just a mess, and I detest black football strips. White has always been my preference for an away strip, black is just awful.

I have never bought a black strip, training tops, yes, strips no.

Tremendous!

Umbro are probably the best strip designs out there, IMO.

As an Research Associate for the Historical Kits website, I was glad to hear from

Dave (the guy who runs the site) that Umbro will hopefully still have a role to play in the UK football kit scene. It was rumoured that they would no longer be manufacturing kits for the UK market. However he received an email from Chris Dolan, Head of PR & Communications at Umbro saying that the company is on track to rebuild its relationship with top flight clubs and players and that we can expect some "significant announcements." soon.

In the mean time, Dave urges everyone who is tired of seeing the same templates provided by the big three sportswear providers (Nike, adidas and Puma) to lobby their clubs to ensure that Umbro's brand once again graces the top levels of UK football.

Umbro still utilise the dreaded template in their kit designs, however in my opinion they always appeared to be a little more sympathetic towards each individual clubs kit heritage. Our iconic 60s hooped and 70s sash kit were manufactured by Umbro and they would probably both feature on the majority of Well fans favourite kit list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A design that I found on an old back up drive (apologies if I have posted this before). This was a homage to Admiral, who arguably provided us with the kit used in Motherwell's greatest modern day achievement, our 1991 Scottish Cup win. The polo style shirt was popular in the 90s, and has slowly started to creep back into some recent shirt designs. These style of collars are not to everyones taste, however I still like to see a button collared shirt now and again. The hoop design is different to what we have had before, and reminds me a little of how Nike adapted the hoops on the recent Celtic top. I have used the black socks that were part of our kit during the early to mid 50s.

2yycson.jpg

A design that I found on an old back up drive (apologies if I have posted this before). This was a homage to Admiral, who arguably provided us with the kit used in Motherwell's greatest modern day achievement, our 1991 Scottish Cup win. The polo style shirt was popular in the 90s, and has slowly started to creep back into some recent shirt designs. These style of collars are not to everyones taste, however I still like to see a button collared shirt now and again. The hoop design is different to what we have had before, and reminds me a little of how Nike adapted the hoops on the recent Celtic top. I have used the black socks that were part of our kit during the early to mid 50s.

2yycson.jpg

Love that, especially the use of white in the hoop, and the black socks just that bit different. Class :thumbup:

You know, now that I think about it, I actually designed one like that only using the Sash kit as my template for the competition in 1978-79 when I was at school. Never submitted it IIRC although I may have done. Would have been better than the vertical striped one we ended up with IMO