Motherwell Fantasy Kits

underboyleheating

3 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

So next seasons kits will have been decided and no doubt ready to roll. What are you hoping for? Something traditional or perhaps something more radical?

They can play in an old Hearts top if they like, as long as they start playing!

Todays shirt concept has its design roots in the iconic Peru ‘extra wide’ sash shirt. We also had a split claret and amber sash white away in the 70s with a similar collar. A black sash shirt will also evoke memories of ‘Skippy Sunday’ and the day the helicopter turned.

MFC 1970s homage black.jpg

• Like 2

A classic shirt mash up between the popular bold claret hooped sleeve designs of the 20s/30s/40s/50s, and our 1960s signature crew neck shirt. I’m a sucker for the classic Motherwell claret hooped shirt design as it’s instantly recognisable the world over as ‘our shirt’.

MFC 1930s -1960s mash up.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

A classic shirt mash up between the popular bold claret hooped sleeve designs of the 20s/30s/40s/50s, and our 1960s signature crew neck shirt. I’m a sucker for the classic Motherwell claret hooped shirt design as it’s instantly recognisable the world over as ‘our shirt’.

MFC 1930s -1960s mash up.jpg

Sorry UBH, that one doesnt work for me.

Nice as a leisure / retro shirt but not as a first team kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted on Twitter today........

134 years ago today. On the 23rd May 1886 the first Motherwell FC game was played. It took place at Roman Road v Hamilton Accies, ‘Well won 3-2, goals by McPherson, Kemp & J Murray. No record of who scored the first MFC 

Flow replied

With ‘Well playing in the “petrol” blue of Alpha that day Stuart? Like the cig card from your collection... 

EYw0FLLWAAEkxn_.jpg

4 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Posted on Twitter today........

134 years ago today. On the 23rd May 1886 the first Motherwell FC game was played. It took place at Roman Road v Hamilton Accies, ‘Well won 3-2, goals by McPherson, Kemp & J Murray. No record of who scored the first MFC 

Flow replied

With ‘Well playing in the “petrol” blue of Alpha that day Stuart? Like the cig card from your collection... 

EYw0FLLWAAEkxn_.jpg

Of course the ‘petrol blue’ shade is misleading due to the card printing, but I can understand why we have adopted that shade. The blue would have more than likely been a  blue not too dissimilar (whisper it) Glasgow Rangers.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, underboyleheating said:

I was a supporter of Motherwell’s 2012-13 ‘petrol blue’ shirt. However, I suspect the shirt that was eventually released was a Puma template that lacked the distinctive 4 bold hooped white/claret/amber/white Sampdoria feel I was pushing for on here at the time. The blue shirt wasn’t to everybody’s taste, although, the colour played an important part in our early kit history.

This is another ‘what if’ concept done in a bold hoop Sampdoria style.

Sampdoria-Motherwell away.jpg

No need to wonder what if...

3 hours ago, unknown said:

No need to wonder what if...

I’ve been wondering for a while, since 2005 I think.

Worth noting the Umbro concept I created below was done over 10 years ago in May 2010. It’s pretty dam close design wise to our ‘new’ away.

Also a few other blue Samp style concepts. I’ve lost count on how many I’ve done in this style.

Petrol blue concepts.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

You’re not joking! I just wish they liked it enough to pay me! :D

If I remember correctly the design for last year’s away strip was strikingly similar to a mock up of yours? 

1 hour ago, Katie said:

If I remember correctly the design for last year’s away strip was strikingly similar to a mock up of yours? 

It was. It’s all good. If the team looks sharp and they get any small hints/tips from my mock-ups then I see that as a positive. I love the team, and I love classy kit designs no matter who does them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

It was. It’s all good. If the team looks sharp and they get any small hints/tips from my mock-ups then I see that as a positive. I love the team, and I love classy kit designs no matter who does them. 

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 5:17 PM, The African said:

Awesome. Please let someone from the club be reporting back on this.

can I be cheeky and ask how this might look with slightly broader claret and amber hoops and slightly thinner white hoops? Not sure it will be an improvement, but just a thought. Also, I am assuming white shorts and socks?  We would look fantastic!

Just returning to this as my question regarding the width of the white hoops has been answered by the new official away shirt and I have to say that I marginally prefer UBH's version. The hooos look better to me with uniform widths. Perhaps the use of four different colours works against being too complicated with any other aspect of the design? I also prefer the simpler collar on his version, though I am generally a fan of an old fashioned style like that used in the official version. I am neither here nor there on the choice between badge or mfc script as both work fine for me. Ultimately, as long as it is not spoiled by the inevitable sponsors logo, the new shirt is another belter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been experimenting with different team wear providers over the last few months. I enjoy browsing teamwear websites to see what is available, and adapt them to suit Motherwell. I created this pre kit release, but forgot to upload it. The hooped home sleeves and blue away are interesting given what we were eventually provided  by Macron. 

These are two recent templates available on the Errea website. They have a unique take on the traditional sash/band that I’ve not noticed before until recently. An odd placement, however, it does create some free space for the dreaded sponsor logo.

I think it was Craig Brown who said, teams/players who wore the same base colour of shirt, shorts and socks looked much taller on the field.

Motherwell Errea kit concept.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1