Skippy Leaves Sell-ik For Middlesborough

LadywellToi

Apologies, read the last three pages of the Slane thread to see if it was mentioned before posting.

A sell on clause for Scott McDonald going to Middlesborough wasn't mentioned in a thread about Paul Slane?!

I've made the key bits bold for you cause you look like you might be a woman, going by your username.

Skippy still had a year left on his contract didn't he so we were in a strong bargaining postion.

We should have held out for an offer in excess of a million come the summer.

i agree, it was strange that we agreed to sell him in febraury rather than hanging on until the end of the season. couldn't even say we were hedging that we might get relegated as we looked very safe at that point.

also very few people really expected mcdonald to be a big success at celtic so you would have thought a sell on clause wouldn't worry them too much.

It seems to me that whenever we sell a player to Celtic that it's on their terms! That's wrong! If they want him, we should dictate when and how much they go for, and if that doesn't suit them, then come back with a significantly improved offer. Or better still, just fuck off.

Not a sell on Clause but since he was with us before the age of 23 we'll get a tiny development fee. Saying that so will six other clubs.

just wandering how you know for sure that there isn't one.

anyway found this about it at the time. interview with mo about it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ell/6511631.stm

reminds me why i hated malpas so much

It seems to me that whenever we sell a player to Celtic that it's on their terms! That's wrong! If they want him, we should dictate when and how much they go for, and if that doesn't suit them, then come back with a significantly improved offer. Or better still, just fuck off.

I like the last option.

Hibs managed to hold out for better offers for their players and got vastly improved offers. But we buckle every time. First offer* from Celtic or Rangers: "Yes sir, thank you sir. Can we do anything else for you sir."

*(Obviously I'm indulging in a little hyperbole but you know what I mean.)

I like the last option.

Hibs managed to hold out for better offers for their players and got vastly improved offers. But we buckle every time. First offer* from Celtic or Rangers: "Yes sir, thank you sir. Can we do anything else for you sir."

*(Obviously I'm indulging in a little hyperbole but you know what I mean.)

Mark Reynolds?

Mark Reynolds?

That was why I put in the qualifier that I was exaggerating a little. But that's about the only one I can think of. We usually accept anything we can get right away.

Actually, now I think about it, there was also the Lee McCulloch to Hearts incident, which backfired largely because we then accepted a lower bid some time after. But we generally will accept low offers when a stronger stance might get us more for a player in the long run.

That was why I put in the qualifier that I was exaggerating a little. But that's about the only one I can think of. We usually accept anything we can get right away.

Actually, now I think about it, there was also the Lee McCulloch to Hearts incident, which backfired largely because we then accepted a lower bid some time after. But we generally will accept low offers when a stronger stance might get us more for a player in the long run.

No we didn't, we ended up with more from Wigan because we got it in one go. Hearts wanted al sorts of clauses, paying extra when he achieved a certain number of appearances, International caps etc. Their offer totalled about £300,000, nowhere near the Million pound figure that Jefferies meedja chums bandied about. And anyway they wouldnae have paid it, Dundee were stil waiting on money for Neil McCann and Jim Hamilton 3 years later I heard.

No we didn't, we ended up with more from Wigan because we got it in one go. Hearts wanted al sorts of clauses, paying extra when he achieved a certain number of appearances, International caps etc. Their offer totalled about £300,000, nowhere near the Million pound figure that Jefferies meedja chums bandied about. And anyway they wouldnae have paid it, Dundee were stil waiting on money for Neil McCann and Jim Hamilton 3 years later I heard.

There you go then. So in the end, it was better to hold out for a decent offer (even if not a huge amount more).