How Did They Ever Wear The Jersey?

Ian-in-Oz

Confirmed.

he also played four games the previous season.

I seem to remember him playing against Aberdeen at Fir Park which the media made a big thing about in their reports. The media still occassionally refer to him as being a one club player which isn't strictly accurate but he certainly didn't make any impression playing for us.

Very very harsh on McBride. He was some player before getting injured.

Tony Vaughan is spot on though. Only ever seen him play once where he scored against Dundee United but even that wasn't enough to save him from abuse. Absolutely terrible player

Harsh I mind him being pretty decent at first but when we signed him we knew he had a chronic injury that was career threatening and he could barely train, bit like Paul McGrath and Ledley King and unfortunately for us it seemed to be even worse than those two as he deteriorated badly and went from a guy we could only get because of that to as being chonic as you remember him.

I seem to remember him playing against Aberdeen at Fir Park which the media made a big thing about in their reports. The media still occassionally refer to him as being a one club player which isn't strictly accurate but he certainly didn't make any impression playing for us.

Played against Falkirk (5-3 game) and Killie at Fir Park in his first season. Also in cups against Clydebank and Havnar Boltfelag (2nd leg). No mention of Aberdeen. Well Again mentions a sub appearance at Tannadice early in first season but I can't find that anywhere else.

Harsh I mind him being pretty decent at first but when we signed him we knew he had a chronic injury that was career threatening and he could barely train, bit like Paul McGrath and Ledley King and unfortunately for us it seemed to be even worse than those two as he deteriorated badly and went from a guy we could only get because of that to as being chonic as you remember him.

Aren't you getting mixed up wi' Tony Thomas?

Tony Vaughan was a loony. I liked him. :whistling:

Played against Falkirk (5-3 game) and Killie at Fir Park in his first season. Also in cups against Clydebank and Havnar Boltfelag (2nd leg). No mention of Aberdeen. Well Again mentions a sub appearance at Tannadice early in first season but I can't find that anywhere else.

My mind must be playing tricks on me again. I do remember him scoring an o.g. at Fir Park towards the end of his Aberdeen days though!

Has anyone mentioned Gerry Britten?

kai nyssonen was probably the worst striker ive seen play for us was total clueless.his only contribution was that tap in fae a yard out against dundee utd.im sure he cost us a point at ibrox when he handled the ball in the last minute

Goram, Fat Boab, Tony Vaughan and Tony Thomas belong in a 'how did they ever FIT in a Motherwell jersey' thread.

An opinion often offered on this site, and in general football chat actually.

Was sitting next to Bob waiting on a train not long after the Nancy game, and there was not a pick on him. :cheers:

If he's fat, then heaven help the rest of us!! :P

My mention for this thread would be John Hendry, a heart the size of a pea to quote Andy Watson!!

My mention for this thread would be John Hendry, a heart the size of a pea to quote Andy Watson!!

That doesn't impress me, why did they keep shoving him on the pitch then, McLeish was forever defending him even although everyone knew he was shit.

Still the only player I have seen booed onto the park.

Without recourse to any record sites but I vaguely recall a French guy called Eric Jardin (?) who was the laziest footballer I have ever seen ! He could score free kicks but couldn't be arsed running or shit like that and used to asked to be subbed if it was raining or too cold. I think we punted him to Dundee.

Anybody else remember this guy ?

Oh just remembered another one:

He's fat he's round he weighs a million pounds Stevie Cowan Stevie Cowan

What a great song that was.

Was changed to worth a million pounds at Dens Park after he played a blinder against Dundee.

Seem to remember some other mincer going by the name of Fairley possibly Jamie Fairley

Couldn't see the "magnificent" Herve Bacque amongst those mentioned. Played just the once, or rather took part in a miserable, freezing cold day up at Dens when we lost 1-0 and he played an absolute mare as a sub. Previously at Luton Town and, honestly, AS Monaco..........

frank bernhard he was gash.

Oooooft! Remember that 0-4 drubbing at Easter Road when he just stood staring as Hibs forwards dallied past him? Came on as a sub for another haddy, Karl Ready, and O'Connor had an absolute field day against him scoring two piss-easy goals past Francois Dubourdeau.

If he was that minging he wouldn't have been here for as long, simple as.

The way I saw it was that it was because of how minging he was that he was here for as long.

Stevie Woods was at Motherwell for something like nine years and in that time played second fiddle to FIVE different goalkeepers; Howie, Kaven, Goram, Brown & Dubourdeau and only regained his place in the side when one of them either moved on or the manager didn't fancy them. He just kept turning up like a bad penny and each time displayed the same diabolical attributes that saw him axed in the first place. Other clubs realised that he was no use and that's why there was no queue for his signature at any time so that's why he was here as long.

Stevie Woods was an absolutely AWFUL goalkeeper and although messers Kaven & Dubourdeau also fit into the same category as him, Woods' persistent awful-ness shades it for me as the worst Motherwell goalkeeper in the last twenty years.

The way I saw it was that it was because of how minging he was that he was here for as long.

Stevie Woods was at Motherwell for something like nine years and in that time played second fiddle to FIVE different goalkeepers; Howie, Kaven, Goram, Brown & Dubourdeau and only regained his place in the side when one of them either moved on or the manager didn't fancy them. He just kept turning up like a bad penny and each time displayed the same diabolical attributes that saw him axed in the first place. Other clubs realised that he was no use and that's why there was no queue for his signature at any time so that's why he was here as long.

Stevie Woods was an absolutely AWFUL goalkeeper and although messers Kaven & Dubourdeau also fit into the same category as him, Woods' persistent awful-ness shades it for me as the worst Motherwell goalkeeper in the last twenty years.

This wins me over completely, sums up Woods' time with us perfectly. He was always our number 2 keeper.. even when he was no1 we were always looking to replace him... And to be honest I can see the exact same thing happening with Fraser.

Also remembered a classic Woods blunder, probably early in his career... caught a pass back 2yards off the goal line.. possibly from Chris 'theivy' McCart, they scored from the resulting free kick to win 2-1. Can anyone confirm or correct?

I can't remember that one, but I remember him taking a bye kick in a game against Kilmarnock and hitting it off the back of Scott Leitch's heels for it to rebound to Paul Wright to score. I think he also did something similar against Aberdeen a few years earlier.

Despite how bad he was, Woods could actually be mentioned in the 'Over-rated players' thread as there were some fans who just wouldn't criticise him no matter how bad he was. "Ah but he's an honest trier, a nice guy and a good shot stopper" was the war cry of the 'Woodsieites'.

Not that I ever doubted that he was an honest pro who was probably a sound guy into the bargain mind, but where the 'he was a good shot stopper' came from always baffled me. He was only a good shot stopper if it was hit directly at him and even then it was known to either go through, go over or go under him from time to time! And how many times was he beaten at his near post? How many times did he drop a seemingly simple shot? How many times did he miss a cross into the box?....and so on and so on....

Woods was a bombscare and had many a Well fan covering their eyes whenever the ball went anywhere near him.

Very very harsh on McBride.

Your right actually. Despite being generally shite, he was nowhere near the worst. Certainly one of the worst attitudes ever to wear the c & a. At least John davies and karl ready looked like they wanted to do well.

Just thinking about mcbrides performance at e.r. in august 2006 makes the likely lad want to heedbutt the laptop. Totally gutless.

Karl Ready wanted to do well, unfortunately he was absolutely gash. As a QPR fan, I'd already seen plenty of evidence of this and received many warnings from other Hoops fans regarding his utter gashness. Sadly, he definetly lived up to that.