How Did They Ever Wear The Jersey?

Ian-in-Oz

God! Thirty years ago now and I can still see the ball come back off his crossbar and one of the Hearts microbes bundle it in. As I recall, McLean was just about to bring on a striker in preparation for extra time and righteous victory.

Thought I'd consigned it to oblivion but now it's back.

Doesn't affect me, affect me, affect me, affect me.....

Wasn't his worst mistake, but probably his most costly.

God! Thirty years ago now and I can still see the ball come back off his crossbar and one of the Hearts microbes bundle it in. As I recall, McLean was just about to bring on a striker in preparation for extra time and righteous victory.

Thought I'd consigned it to oblivion but now it's back.

Doesn't affect me, affect me, affect me, affect me.....

I'm sure a crowd gathered outside the Main Stand after the game ready to lynch him.

Brian Wright was alright, lacking in pace but always looking to play a pass. McLean was trying to build a team in those days and we had a good few worse than him. I've mentioned him before but I'll put forward Jamie Doyle, another midfielderfrom a similar time.

Just to clarify, I never thought Brian Wright was that bad and absolutely there were worse than him coming in an out of the team on Tommys conveyor belt of transfers. But as a centre mid, he didn't really set the heather on fire, hence only being with us for only a year or so.

It was because of that 'windmill' run that my dad developed that irrational hatred.

Now, a player that I hated was Dave McCabe. Did heehaw in a Motherwell jersey and then papped off to the accies. In the first derby after signing for them, the wee prick scores against us at Douglas Park and runs the length of the stand getting right into the faces of the traveling 'Well support.

http://www.sportsworldcards.com/ekmps/shops/sportsworld/images/motherwell-dave-mccabe-438-panini-football-90-football-trading-sticker-28154-p.jpg

Wee shite!!!

Now, a player that I hated was Dave McCabe. Did heehaw in a Motherwell jersey and then papped off to the accies. In the first derby after signing for them, the wee prick scores against us at Douglas Park and runs the length of the stand getting right into the faces of the traveling 'Well support.

http://www.sportsworldcards.com/ekmps/shops/sportsworld/images/motherwell-dave-mccabe-438-panini-football-90-football-trading-sticker-28154-p.jpg

Wee shite!!!

Are you maybe getting your Jamie Fairlie's and Dave McCabe's mixed up there?

McCabe was prolific at points in the First Division with Airdrie and McLean took a punt on him. His only real moment of notoriety was scoring against Rangers in the Dickie Gough OG game, only to see it chopped off. He moved on to Morton and played against us in the Scottish Cup.

Fairlie came to us a little beforehand from Clydebank I think - perhaps even in a swap deal or as part of the deal that took your windmill fella to Kilbowie. He wasn't actually that bad at Motherwell, seem to remember him scoring once or twice in the three months or so he was with us. But he certainly didn't see eye to eye with McLean and you're right, first time we played Accies the following season he scored the winner and certainly made sure he enjoyed the moment.

I'm sure I will have seen Reilly on many occasions but his performances aren't ones that linger in the mind. I do recollect him being fairly unpopular however and having to retire through injury.

I would guess you wouldn't be far off a full team of former Dundee Utd players who came to Fir Park whilst the McLeans were in charge of both sides. Not all of them were to our benefit that's for sure.

I'm sure I will have seen Reilly on many occasions but his performances aren't ones that linger in the mind. I do recollect him being fairly unpopular however and having to retire through injury.

I would guess you wouldn't be far off a full team of former Dundee Utd players who came to Fir Park whilst the McLeans were in charge of both sides. Not all of them were to our benefit that's for sure.

The four worst I remember would be John Gardiner, Paul Kinnaird, John Reilly and Joe McLeod. There are probably others that were poor.

Billy Thomson and Miodrag Krivokapic were more successful but I think the second of those happened after McLean Sr. left his post at Tannadice...

EDIT If I remember correctly, Kinnaird never scored for us and it might have been his first goal for St Mirren that knocked us out of the league cup in 1989/90..

• Like 1

Our first season back in the top flight was 85-86, when the likes of Gardner, Wright and Reilly were at the club ? Ian McLeod was captain ? Walker, Wishart, Boyd, McCart and Alex Kennedy were the hot new talent.

That was when I started going regularly as a wee boy and was at virtually every home game that season. I think it's a case of rose tinted specs but I liked the likes of 'ruby' Murray, John Reilly and Tam McAdam (who arrived the following season). But I guess when falling in love with your team, no matter how shite they are, each player in claret and amber was a hero.

Ps

that is also my favourite well kit of all time.

John Reilly's career was cut very short by a bad knee injury, as I recall. I believe he is now Head Teacher at Holy Cross HS in Hamilton, for trivia buffs.

Paul Kinnaird was pretty awful. Hard to say who got more abuse from the troops, he or Andy Roddie.

*shudders*.

O/T: check out the Airdrie V 'Well game on the photo thread if you have any rose-tinted specs. Not much quality on show and little ball retention, imo. Arthur Montford is quite entertaining, though.

Yeah, there is a common perception that the standard of football is much worse than it used to be which I'm not convinced is correct. Yes, our current team is very poor when compared with some of our better teams in the past (late McLean era for example) but I don't think they're any worse than some of our teams from the past in a similar position fighting it out at the bottom of the league. Some of the old highlights are truly grim watching.

I'm pretty sure Paul Kinnaird had a chronic gambling problem which was one of the reasons he was punted from Dundee Utd. He had tapped so many of his teammates for money that they spoke to McLean to have him shifted........and of course who would it be easier for Jim to deploy this excrement to.......yip, his unknowing wee brother!!

I further believe Kinnaird continued to do the same at Fir Park and received an even worse fate by being sent to St Mirren. At St Mirren he teamed up with another gambling deadbeat in Frank Mcgarvey and I believe they both ended up with gangsters after them!!

Wonderful tales of wasted talent.......don't you just love 'em!!

The four worst I remember would be John Gardiner, Paul Kinnaird, John Reilly and Joe McLeod. There are probably others that were poor.

Billy Thomson and Miodrag Krivokapic were more successful but I think the second of those happened after McLean Sr. left his post at Tannadice...

EDIT If I remember correctly, Kinnaird never scored for us and it might have been his first goal for St Mirren that knocked us out of the league cup in 1989/90..

Mio joined us in 92/93 I think, pretty sure McLean was still in place at that point but might be wrong.

The header at Easter Road is still one of my great football memories.

Mio joined us in 92/93 I think, pretty sure McLean was still in place at that point but might be wrong.

The header at Easter Road is still one of my great football memories.

In my head I've got him arriving in the summer of 1993 by which point Ivan Golac was either in charge or just about to take charge of them. Pretty sure McLean was on their board for a few years after he chucked management so technically I suppose the two McLean's were still at each side.

But yeah, the goal and celebrations from Mio's header were fantastic.

I'm pretty sure Paul Kinnaird had a chronic gambling problem which was one of the reasons he was punted from Dundee Utd. He had tapped so many of his teammates for money that they spoke to McLean to have him shifted........and of course who would it be easier for Jim to deploy this excrement to.......yip, his unknowing wee brother!!I further believe Kinnaird continued to do the same at Fir Park and received an even worse fate by being sent to St Mirren. At St Mirren he teamed up with another gambling deadbeat in Frank Mcgarvey and I believe they both ended up with gangsters after them!!Wonderful tales of wasted talent.......don't you just love 'em!!

I remember some years ago Frank McGarvey walking into the restaurant I worked in to ask the owner, who he had known for years, for the bus fare hone as he had done all his money in the bookies!

Him bringing his daughter in for dinner, as he knew my boss wouldn't ask him for money, was not an irregular occurrence.

He's working as an electrician now. My dad met him and said he was a really nice guy. It shows the difference in money now - a player of his level should be pretty much made for life nowadays (doesn't mean they won't blow it all through some addiction though).

• Like 1