How Did They Ever Wear The Jersey?

Ian-in-Oz

Woods was undoubtedly a good shot-stopper. Apart from anything else, his record of saving six out of ten penalties hit at him in one season (including from Mark Viduka and Juan Sara who rarely missed) cannot be denied. His main problem was that his mistakes were of the mental variety and he was too prone to a rush of blood to the head.

I'm by no means saying he was brilliant, but he was a far better goalie for Motherwell than Kaven, Goram, Dubordeau and Brown.

• Like 1

Woods was undoubtedly a good shot-stopper. Apart from anything else, his record of saving six out of ten penalties hit at him in one season (including from Mark Viduka and Juan Sara who rarely missed) cannot be denied. His main problem was that his mistakes were of the mental variety and he was too prone to a rush of blood to the head.

I'm by no means saying he was brilliant, but he was a far better goalie for Motherwell than Kaven, Goram, Dubordeau and Brown.

Aye I agree with that. People just think he is the worst ever motherwell Goalie because of the Gordon Durie incident. Terrible I agree but who would be a goalie?

I personally thought Cammy Duncan was murder but that's my opinion!

Woods was a bombscare and had many a Well fan covering their eyes whenever the ball went anywhere near him.

He might have been a bombscare, but he was our bombscare, the guy may have been playing at a level beyond his ability, but we're Motherwell and that is our lot, if we were a bigger club we'd attract better players or any we do uncover end up being bought by bigger fish, get over yourself with the Woods bashing your 1 trick ponyness is showing through your posts again.

He might have been a bombscare, but he was our bombscare, the guy may have been playing at a level beyond his ability, but we're Motherwell and that is our lot, if we were a bigger club we'd attract better players or any we do uncover end up being bought by bigger fish, get over yourself with the Woods bashing your 1 trick ponyness is showing through your posts again.

And I'm not disputing that for one minute.

I am fully aware that we are never going to attract or hold on to top quality players.

However this thread asked for people's opinions on who the worst player/signing that they had seen in a Motherwell jersey and I simply gave mine and my reasons for giving it. I supported Woods when he played for us, but I just thought he was a terrible goalkeeper over the many years he was here.

The way I saw it was that it was because of how minging he was that he was here for as long.

Stevie Woods was at Motherwell for something like nine years and in that time played second fiddle to FIVE different goalkeepers; Howie, Kaven, Goram, Brown & Dubourdeau and only regained his place in the side when one of them either moved on or the manager didn't fancy them. He just kept turning up like a bad penny and each time displayed the same diabolical attributes that saw him axed in the first place. Other clubs realised that he was no use and that's why there was no queue for his signature at any time so that's why he was here as long.

Stevie Woods was an absolutely AWFUL goalkeeper and although messers Kaven & Dubourdeau also fit into the same category as him, Woods' persistent awful-ness shades it for me as the worst Motherwell goalkeeper in the last twenty years.

And the way I saw it was he wasn't the best of keepers but five tried and failed so he must be at least 6th worst. Most of his memorable mistakes were non-goalkeeping ones, e.g. the Durie howler, the one that came off Leitchy's back as well. Concentration levels I'd say but howlers all the same. BTW in value for money terms he pished all over Goram's record considering the wages they was respectively getting. Doesn't make him a better keeper granted but we got what we paid for, a £90 Grand keeper fae Preston. (at a time when we were paying big money in relative terms)

Woodsy had no illusions about himself, that quote came directly from him. None of the above managed to keep him out so at least give him credit from continually winning his place back. If you can't then I just take it you hate the guy and can't see past that. Then again you might just look on the negative side al the time :lol::P

And the way I saw it was he wasn't the best of keepers but five tried and failed so he must be at least 6th worst. Most of his memorable mistakes were non-goalkeeping ones, e.g. the Durie howler, the one that came off Leitchy's back as well. Concentration levels I'd say but howlers all the same. BTW in value for money terms he pished all over Goram's record considering the wages they was respectively getting. Doesn't make him a better keeper granted but we got what we paid for, a £90 Grand keeper fae Preston. (at a time when we were paying big money in relative terms)

Woodsy had no illusions about himself, that quote came directly from him. None of the above managed to keep him out so at least give him credit from continually winning his place back. If you can't then I just take it you hate the guy and can't see past that. Then again you might just look on the negative side al the time :huh:;)

"None of the above managed to keep him out so at least give im credit for continually winning his place back"

Yes they did.

Scott Howie was first choice for the 1995/96 & 1996/97 seasons whilst Woods was at the club and the only time Woods played during that time, with the exception of a cameo sub appearance at right back against Clydebank, was when Howie was out with a broken cheekbone that he sustained against Celtic. As soon as he was fit again, he was back in the side. Then in the summer of 1997, Howie decided that he was too good to play for us and so held out for more money and eventually lef the club so Woods regained his place for the 97/98 season when he basically had no other competition for the jersey.

When Harri Kampman came in, he brought his own goalkeeper , Mikko Kaven, who was his preferred choice to Woods until he left until he left the club and then Billy Davies took over. Davies gave both Woods and Kaven games in the side up until January of that season before punting Kaven and bringing in Andy Goram, who was then our first choice goalkeeper for the next two years and Woods' appearances during that time were limited to when Goram was out injured.

Then when Goram moved to Man Utd in March 2001, Davies brought in Mark Brown who was his first choice at the start of the 01/02 season and remained so until December of that year when Eric Black dropped him for Woods because he didn't fancy him. He then brought in Francois Dubourdeau who eventually dislodged Woods as No.1 the following season under Terry Butcher until both goalkeepers left the club in the summer of 2003.

"If you can't then I take it you just hate the guy and can't see past it"

That's not very fair, of course I don't hate the guy, I never knew him. He was obviously an honest player who gave it his best whenever he got the chance and for that he does deserve credit. However, I just didn't rate him as a goalkeeper and I'm sure there are plenty of Motherwell fans who feel exactly the same about him.

John Hendry and Calum Elliot and Alex Miller's [the Rangers leg end's] son also played a couple of games for us. I remember him crossing a ball over the Davie Cooper. :lol: . Also Quefio a French Numptie and just about every diddy Harry Kampmann signed. Dubourdeux in goal who let in a goal against Aberdeen fae Hamilton cross. :lol: . But the how the feck did he stay so long despite being pish award is a no-brainer step forward STEVIE WOODS! :lol:

Mikko Kaven...maybe I have blanked it out, but I have absolutely no recollection at all about this guy!

I don't know why but I always thought he looked like he should have been a German soldier in a war film with his blonde hair and a rather menacing stare. A stick on for Hitler Youth at least......

He actually had quite a good shut-out record at the start, though that might have partly been down to Kampman's defensive set up.

• Like 1

Kaven managed to get 15 caps for Finland - and is still playing football in the Finnish Premier Division :O

...And was there not a bit of a story/rumour a couple of years back that Arsenal were considering him as a bit of a stop-gap back-up?

Or did I dream that?

...And was there not a bit of a story/rumour a couple of years back that Arsenal were considering him as a bit of a stop-gap back-up?

Or did I dream that?

And didn't I have a dream that the mighty Man United wanted Andy Goram (who features heavily on the 'overrated players' thread) as a stop-gap?

Perhaps not. :O

And didn't I have a dream that the mighty Man United wanted Andy Goram (who features heavily on the 'overrated players' thread) as a stop-gap?

Perhaps not. :O

I think anyone who witnessed Goram's save at Parkhead for us would take issue with him being over-rated. Okay he was in the twilight of his career with us but there were still occassions when he showed his class.

I think anyone who witnessed Goram's save at Parkhead for us would take issue with him being over-rated. Okay he was in the twilight of his career with us but there were still occassions when he showed his class.

Think the problem with Goram was his wages, value for money? No chance, but over-rated? Not IMO. Class act although on the way down when he came here.