How Did They Ever Wear The Jersey?

Ian-in-Oz

• 7 years later...

I don't know why but I always thought he looked like he should have been a German soldier in a war film with his blonde hair and a rather menacing stare. A stick on for Hitler Youth at least......

He actually had quite a good shut-out record at the start, though that might have partly been down to Kampman's defensive set up.

Kaven came back into the side the night of Spencer/Brannan's debuts in a 1-0 over the h**s. Woods got injured in the warm up. Kaven played in the next few games when we went on a run as Davies bought new players, losing his place a few weeks later when Woods was fit again and Davies got shot of all the Kampman signings. Kaven wasn't even close to the worst keeper we've had. I'd have taken him over Woods any day.

Woods was brought back into the side the previous week to the Rangers game I mentioned above. (Davies' first game in charge). We got comprehensively humped 5-0.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's not joe mcbride from the 60s as he was one of the finest centre forwards the club ever had. I'd have a wild guess it is joe McLeod the guy means from the 90s. He was particularly shite!!

Or Martin McBride? McLean era winger.

Samson would struggle to make my top 5 worst keepers I have seen at Fir Park. And there is such a gap between the top two and the rest of the field, he barely even registers.

1) John Gardiner

2) Howard Samaroff

Several lightyears

3) The pack

• Like 1

Samson would struggle to make my top 5 worst keepers I have seen at Fir Park. And there is such a gap between the top two and the rest of the field, he barely even registers.

1) John Gardiner

2) Howard Samaroff

Several lightyears

3) The pack

Have to agree John Gardiner was the worst goal keeper I've seen not just at Motherwell anywhere.

1) John Gardiner

2) Howard Samaroff

Several lightyears

3) The pack

It amazes me when Howard Sammeroff gets mentioned as one of our worst keepers ever. He only played four first team games, kept three clean sheets and conceded just one goal. Tell you what, I'd take that level of shite any day of the week.

It amazes me when Howard Sammeroff gets mentioned as one of our worst keepers ever. He only played four first team games, kept three clean sheets and conceded just one goal. Tell you what, I'd take that level of shite any day of the week.

Why do you think he only played 4 games?

It obviously depends on how many goalkeepers you have actually seen.

1) John Gardiner

2) Howard Samaroff

Several lightyears

3) The pack

Lee Hollis

Michael Fraser

Gunner Nielsen

George Long

Dan Twardzik

Connor Ripley

Our goalkeepers since the departure of Randolph. I'd pick Samson over 4 of the 6 and the other 2 weren't without their mistakes either. In fact the best of them, probably Connor Ripley, conceded one of the worst goals I've ever seen against Celtic.

Mikko Kaven...maybe I have blanked it out, but I have absolutely no recollection at all about this guy!

Remember watching some old Motherwell highlights and Kaven was having a blinder.

I think his short stay and association with Harri Kampman has altered a few memories.

Lee Hollis

Michael Fraser

Gunner Nielsen

George Long

Dan Twardzik

Connor Ripley

Our goalkeepers since the departure of Randolph. I'd pick Samson over 4 of the 6 and the other 2 weren't without their mistakes either. In fact the best of them, probably Connor Ripley, conceded one of the worst goals I've ever seen against Celtic.

I'm much the same, tbh. I thought both Ripley and Long (Long in particular) got off very lightly. Long was very poor, 180 minutes against Rangers aside, somehow managing to concede from a ball that was pretty much out of play in Paisley. Ripley made numerous mistakes, but said nice things on social media, so got a pass, for some reason.

Hollis couldn't kick a ball, and was shite, Neilsen put more balls into the six yard box than any member of our team has this year, Twardzik oversaw one of our worst defeats against the Icelanders, with the ball literally going over his head, and also had a starring role in our cuffing by Dundee at Dens, Fraser was just shite, in every respect.

Samson compared to them? He's not a massive step up from any of them, I'd probably put him bang in the middle as shite, but not nearly as shite as the rest.

Why do you think he only played 4 games?

Because Hugh Sproat was our first team goalie and Sammeroff only played because he was out injured for four weeks. I don't think the fans would have taken too kindly to their favourite not getting straight back into the team. And no, I'm not saying he was anything special as a keeper but he certainly never let us down in the games he played and to rate him as so poor based on only four games seems harsh, especially given other contenders.

• Like 1