Overrated Players

fizoxy

There always seems to be one player who the well fans seem to rate en masse even though he's actually no that good. There does seem to be a pattern to this, as it always tend to be a "hard man" type, or a foreigner.

If I had to nominate someone as being over rated it would have to be Simo Valakari. He was a decent player and always put in a good shift, but I think much of his popularity came down to having a chantable name. Maybe he would have got the Derek Adams treatment if his name was Dave? He also seems to appear in a lot of "greatest well teams" even though the mid 90's trio of Dolan, Lambert and Davies alone should edge him out.

Any other nominations?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inexplicable man love? Why did I think this was going to be about Keith Lasley? Basically you are talking about cult heroes. Often foreign (easy to remember cos of the name) or hard men (easy to remember cos they boot your hate figures up in the air).

On Simo. A better player than Jamie Dolan. By. A. Mile. Should be lauded, if for nothing else, for his part in our 2-0 win at Ibrox when Coyle scored twice. His mission that day was to mark Gazza out of the game. Which he did fantastically...

Inexplicable man love? Why did I think this was going to be about Keith Lasley? Basically you are talking about cult heroes. Often foreign (easy to remember cos of the name) or hard men (easy to remember cos they boot your hate figures up in the air).

On Simo. A better player than Jamie Dolan. By. A. Mile. Should be lauded, if for nothing else, for his part in our 2-0 win at Ibrox when Coyle scored twice. His mission that day was to mark Gazza out of the game. Which he did fantastically...

I agree with every word of that. However, I do take the original point in general, except that Mark Reynolds is neither a hardman or a foreigner...

The title says 'man love' not 'housewife love'...

Wouldn't dare to call you a housewife but if the pinny fits . . .

Keith Lasley - good worker puts in a decent shift but wouldn't play him as a single defensive midfielder and wouldn't dream of playing him as an attacking midfielder as he is murder in front of goal. Too many times on here folk slate new signings cause they can't get a game for X team yet these same folk were cock-a-hoop cause we signed someone that Killie wouldn't even sign for a squad player.

Wouldn't dare to call you a housewife but if the pinny fits . . .

Keith Lasley - good worker puts in a decent shift but wouldn't play him as a single defensive midfielder and wouldn't dream of playing him as an attacking midfielder as he is murder in front of goal. Too many times on here folk slate new signings cause they can't get a game for X team yet these same folk were cock-a-hoop cause we signed someone that Killie wouldn't even sign for a squad player.

I rate Lasley. Don't necessarily overrate him. He is a decent SPL midfielder who has got better with age only because he can read the game a wee bit better now. I know there are those on here who do overrate him, but for me he does a solid job, nothing more, nothing less...

EDIT Forgot to add, he doesn't really fit here. There are a large number of the Well support who don't rate him. Yerself, kmcalpin and Neil are three that spring to mind right away...

Francois Dubordeaux and to a lesser extent Mark Brown. Both had their moments in their time at Fir Park without question, in Dub's case most notably in that 1-0 win over Rangers shown on the BBC.

To me though both seemed to have a reputation above their actual ability simply because they weren't Stevie Woods.

simo - big jim smith must have had a fetish for finnish good looks. the guy got a move to the premiership and was an international ffs. he was popular because he was brave, commited and massively improved himself as a player in his time here.

foran - he scored 35 goals in 105 appearances from midfield. as far as i know he's the only motherwell player to score in two semi finals.

dougie arnott - not even worth responding to.

mcdonald - great player for us and has proved his class since he left. he also didn't celebrate after scoring his first hat trick for celtic against us and only started when he got pelters back at fir park.

lasley - :ph34r: a shite point at any time but after the start of the broon era it's ridiculous bordering on retarded.

a better question is why are so many well fans these days keen to put down players who are commited to the club and work hard on the park. hammell, craigan and lasley are club legends and have shown recently thay still have loads to contribute yet people consistently want to put them down and this season we've had threads in which posters (diddies) say they're finished and should be punted.

i remember my dad telling me how him and all the guys from his pub wrote a letter to john philliben after the 91 final because they were that guttted for him they didn't play. would something like that happen these days? what would be the reaction to some of our club legends from modern fans. imagine the reaction to wullie p coming back with fhw and united and i bet there would be threads about how it was time for joe wark to retire.

we've been extremely lucky over the years and especially so recently that we've had a good combination of talented players and also quite a few who truly have the club at heart. the players we've had in my time have been far better than what fans at the other non city clubs have had to watch so can we not maybe just be grateful we're not st mirren fans and give our guys a bit of support and recognition.

i remember my dad telling me how him and all the guys from his pub wrote a letter to john philliben after the 91 final because they were that guttted for him they didn't play. would something like that happen these days? what would be the reaction to some of our club legends from modern fans. imagine the reaction to wullie p coming back with fhw and united and i bet there would be threads about how it was time for joe wark to retire.

Is Joe still playing??? :ph34r: He knew my father but havenae seen hin in a while :O

Francois Dubordeaux and to a lesser extent Mark Brown. Both had their moments in their time at Fir Park without question, in Dub's case most notably in that 1-0 win over Rangers shown on the BBC.

To me though both seemed to have a reputation above their actual ability simply because they weren't Stevie Woods.

:ph34r: