Overrated Players

fizoxy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, I'm not buying that. Arnott got cut slack in his last couple of years because he'd already given us a decade of loyal service, including being instrumental in a Scottish Cup win and two further jaunts into Europe, not to mention scoring loads of memorable goals against the Old Firm. Reynolds, for me, is no better or worse a player than Fitzpatrick, came through at around the same time and thus should be treated the same way. Which, I have to say, would be somewhere in the middle of how they are both treated just now. Comparing Reynolds to a bonafide legend is just ridiculous.

Arnott. Was. Not. That. Good.

You've kind of made my point anyway. His technical ability wasn't great. His scoring rate wasn't the best, but he could work like buggery. He was highly thought of because he was at the club a long time, he had a habit of scoring goals against the Old Firm, and was part of the cup team. Why is he more revered than others from the cup team? Perhaps because he never played for another professional club? Because he is perceived as one of our own? I'm not saying he shouldn't be held in high esteem for that reason but that's got a lot to do with it. Compare him with how Tom Boyd is seen.

As for the difference in how Fitzpatrick and Reynolds are perceived by fans, I'm at a loss. Normally scoring a winner in a semi-final would ensure legend status. But it seems it's been a bit of a millstone round Fitzpatrick's neck. Maybe less is expected of defenders. I really don't know the answer to that one. Like I say, it's not a science...

Mark Brown was a good young keeper that made one half mistake in a 2-2 draw with Rangers, was dropped by Eric Black and never played again. He was doing a job for us and could've went on to continue to do a job (In my opinion!)

In my memory I agree with your overall opinion of the player but was making a few costly mistakes and rightly dropped at least for a spell. Only got punted due to administration and I suspect otherwise would have came back stronger with us rather than elsewhere but thems the breaks.

Read my post above. Fans take to players for all sorts of reasons. Reynolds gets cut slack for the same reason that Arnott got cut slack in his last couple of seasons. Being seen (rightly or wrongly) as one of our own. Of course, this rule isn't hard and fast. Why do Lasley and Clarkson receive nothing but praise when Fitzpatrick and Quinn don't? Don't tell me it's all about ability. Cos Fitzpatrick isn't that much of a worse player than Lasley...

Both these players have had plenty stick at times, Clarkson in particular during his lean seasons and plenty people give Lasley pelters seemingly for just being good and popular amongst some sections for being a committed and decent football player. As if because he isn't that bit better he doesn't deserve praise and you are then guilty of 'man love' if you proclaim a fondness or liking for him.

As for difference in quality for example between Fitzpatrick and Lasley ther maybe isn't a gulf but Lasley is basically far more polished and composed whilst in recent seasons Fitzpatrick who I like and reckon can do a job often looks like a rabbit staring at car headlights in possession of a football, or like a Keith Lasley in front of goal but basically at any area of the pitch.

Controversially, I'd say much the same about Sieb Dykstra not being John Gardiner :lol: Big Sieb never struck me as a particularly outstanding keeper at the time, although he certainly had other cult hero characteristics.

Sacrilage! Big Sieb was occasioanlly eratic but mostly outstanding. Better than ruddy, although I'll give Ruddy credit and say he's closing the gap.

Andy Goram for me.

Thought I'd see Yass on the list as loads thought he was shite. i think he's up there with the likes of Cafu

Now that is definitely fishing. :mad: I don't think Goram was overated just past it

Arnott. Was. Not. That. Good.

You've kind of made my point anyway. His technical ability wasn't great. His scoring rate wasn't the best, but he could work like buggery. He was highly thought of because he was at the club a long time, he had a habit of scoring goals against the Old Firm, and was part of the cup team. Why is he more revered than others from the cup team? Perhaps because he never played for another professional club? Because he is perceived as one of our own? I'm not saying he shouldn't be held in high esteem for that reason but that's got a lot to do with it. Compare him with how Tom Boyd is seen.

As for the difference in how Fitzpatrick and Reynolds are perceived by fans, I'm at a loss. Normally scoring a winner in a semi-final would ensure legend status. But it seems it's been a bit of a millstone round Fitzpatrick's neck. Maybe less is expected of defenders. I really don't know the answer to that one. Like I say, it's not a science...

Surely you're not suggesting Dougie Arnott is held in higher regard than Tom Boyd by 'Well fans simply because he hung about Fir Park for longer? The two key facts are:

- Tom Boyd was part of one good Motherwell team. Arnott was part of several.

- Boyd has been publicly disrespectful towards MFC, while Arnott has almost been an ambassador in terms of turning up to fans events, etc.

Those are the reasons, as well as the fact that Arnott is one of our own, why he is held in higher esteem than Boyd.

Boyd, in my mind, is on a similar level in terms of fondness as Porter or Stephen Hughes. Arnott, on the other hand, is a complete legend.

Surely you're not suggesting Dougie Arnott is held in higher regard than Tom Boyd by 'Well fans simply because he hung about Fir Park for longer? The two key facts are:

- Tom Boyd was part of one good Motherwell team. Arnott was part of several.

- Boyd has been publicly disrespectful towards MFC, while Arnott has almost been an ambassador in terms of turning up to fans events, etc.

Those are the reasons, as well as the fact that Arnott is one of our own, why he is held in higher esteem than Boyd.

Boyd, in my mind, is on a similar level in terms of fondness as Porter or Stephen Hughes. Arnott, on the other hand, is a complete legend.

Are these not exactly what I was saying? All I'm saying is Arnott's abilities are overrated/overstated because of all the reasons I highlighted in your post. All things I was saying earlier...

The last part that you've highlighted is me saying that him being one of our own is an after-thought in the reasoning. Playing for more than one good team isn't the same as hanging about for years - it proves the measure of a good Motherwell player that he was an integral part of our 2nd and 3rd place finishes, as well as the cup-winning team. Even outwith those three seasons, he scored a load of fondly remembered goals against the bigots, another thing Boyd didn't achieve for the 'Well.

Boyd is a c**t, Arnott is a ledge, and the difference is not because of what team they support.

Edit - In fact, I've just thought of two words that prove my point and blow your argument out of the water...

Stevie. Kirk.

Kirk's abilities are overstated now because of his part in the Cup run. I remember him getting dogs abuse when playing for us. A frustrating player if ever...

Actually, I cannae keep it up. I just wanted to see how long I could compare Reynolds and Arnott before you had a stroke... :mad:

Point still holds that both are held in higher esteem than they might be because they're seen as "our" players... :O