January Transfer Window

TAM

I get the feeling that Smith has already told Motherwell that he will leave in the summer and McGhee has made his choice for Motherwell's next keeper. If money is as tight as it seems, it seems like good business to capture a young, tall keeper within our wage budget. Looks like the boy needs a new challenge to help kickstart his career. I don't know many Inverness fans (four) but those I've spoken to say he's not as bad as some seem to be making out and they thought his problem was with the manager. McGhee has obviously spoken to his goalkeeping coaches and scouts and liked what he heard. Hasn't he? :unsure: .

Now that the Motherwell train is back on the rails and the defence seems like a unit again, do we still need to strengthen at the back. Because if we don't and...........

The one drawback regarding our sudden solidity at the back (Klimpl's role as much as Craigan's return) is that McGhee might think that we are fine again and decide not to bring in some competition for places.

With Brewster gone I hope McGhee goes back to Inverness and offers Malcolm again (loan/exchange until the end of the season).

How do people see Hughes' future at the club?

Yeah, I'd imagine so. There was a quote from McGhee from a couple of weeks back saying that he had given the responsibility to Meldrum to identify a new keeper for if and when Buzz left.

I assume that this is what's happened and Smith will be off in the summer. Did a good job for us and didn't merit much of the criticism dished out by sections of the support IMHO. If he does leave for pastures new it'll be with my best wishes.

I think we'll have made a bit of a saving as Fraser's wages won't be near that of Buzz. Let's just give the lad some time to prove himself before deciding he's no good enough!

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the feeling that Smith has already told Motherwell that he will leave in the summer and McGhee has made his choice for Motherwell's next keeper.

If thats the case and I were McGhee, I'd consider offering Caley a small amount of money and getting Fraser down here as soon as and get him used to playing with our back four. Buzz is a good fairly reliable keeper but it would be much more to our advantage to get Fraser in the sticks. As I said earlier, I reckon this is for backup and am still hopeful Buzz signs a new contract. Serious competition for first team place would surely help Buzz and could lead to him stepping up his game a little further as we look to seriously challenge in the top half of the table.

This new approach does give me some hope for the future.

It looks as though MMG is planning for next season and this can only be good news.

Even if Buzz does go in the summer, for once we will have a plan B in place and not be searching round at the last minute.

Praise where praise is due Mr McGhee.

Is this the first ever player we have ever signed up on a pre-contract. I don't recall it happeining before in all the years since they started up.

Craigan and Burns from Spastic Whistle?

Good to see some forward planning on the goalkeeping front. BBC report tals have opened regarding Byron Webster

It looks as though MMG is planning for next season and this can only be good news.

Even if Buzz does go in the summer, for once we will have a plan B in place and not be searching round at the last minute.

Aye, and even if Buzz does stay, the club are in a better bargaining position regarding a new contract

Buzz has been a decent player for us, and if he is moving on I wish him well

If thats the case and I were McGhee, I'd consider offering Caley a small amount of money and getting Fraser down here as soon as and get him used to playing with our back four. Buzz is a good fairly reliable keeper but it would be much more to our advantage to get Fraser in the sticks.

Agreed and just to open up a can of worms.

If we were offered a sum of money now for Buzz, should we consider it? Probably not unless it was silly money.

If it was necessary to help secure Porter until the summer would anyone hesitate? Would I f....

I'd like to throw a name into the pot. Bob Harris the young QOS left back is being watched by a few Premier clubs including, I am led to believe Motherwell.

He had a great season last year and has been a standout within their team. He has just come back from an injury. 21yr, quick and strong in the tackle.

Most of the lads I work with are QOS supporters and know the club.

Buzz is certainly Championship standard. Watchign the Championship, even the Premiership, How often does the keeper actually need to leave his line?

And if that was in doubt Buzz has shown how competent has has became at dealing with that part of his game.

If we manage to keep him then we've done a turn and I would expect him to be pushing into the Scotland squad again before too long.

Buzz is certainly Championship standard. Watchign the Championship, even the Premiership, How often does the keeper actually need to leave his line?

And if that was in doubt Buzz has shown how competent has has became at dealing with that part of his game.

If we manage to keep him then we've done a turn and I would expect him to be pushing into the Scotland squad again before too long.

Interestingly enough, there's a thread on P&B asking everyone to rank the SPL keepers in order of ability and most on there seem to rate Buzz near the bottom of the heap. Personally I'm surprised as I think he's one of the best shot stoppers in the league and has obviously worked hard at the parts of his game that have let him down in the past, namely his kicking, coming for crosses and communication.

He's shown a big improvement this season and I think should be ranked near the top of the list. Am I just looking through C&A tinted specs?

Interestingly enough, there's a thread on P&B asking everyone to rank the SPL keepers in order of ability and most on there seem to rate Buzz near the bottom of the heap. Personally I'm surprised as I think he's one of the best shot stoppers in the league and has obviously worked hard at the parts of his game that have let him down in the past, namely his kicking, coming for crosses and communication.

He's shown a big improvement this season and I think should be ranked near the top of the list. Am I just looking through C&A tinted specs?

Probably!

We all like Buzz - he seems like a decent fella! He has improved - and I'll leave it at that.

But the facs are this - as is his prerogative - he's holding out for a better deal and stalling on the one offered.

This leaves the club in a position where they may or may not have an experienced full time keeper on the books at the end of the transfer window.

McGhee now needs to bring a keeper in as contingency and in doing so needs to balance the cost of that against keeping buzz (and paying him more) - or bringing in a contingency that doesn't appear to be breaking the bank.

If Buzz doesnt go and McGhee brings in another costly keeper - on top of the Brum one on loan - he'll get (quite rightly) reamed.

Looks like decent business sense to me.

Probably!

We all like Buzz - he seems like a decent fella! He has improved - and I'll leave it at that.

But the facs are this - as is his prerogative - he's holding out for a better deal and stalling on the one offered.

This leaves the club in a position where they may or may not have an experienced full time keeper on the books at the end of the transfer window.

McGhee now needs to bring a keeper in as contingency and in doing so needs to balance the cost of that against keeping buzz (and paying him more) - or bringing in a contingency that doesn't appear to be breaking the bank.

If Buzz doesnt go and McGhee brings in another costly keeper - on top of the Brum one on loan - he'll get (quite rightly) reamed.

Looks like decent business sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I think McGhee's made a good move in getting Fraser in. He seemed like a decent enough keeper and wouldn't be too expensive I imagine. It makes sense but I'm still hoping that Buzz will decide to sign a new deal. Would much rather cut out some dead wood like Malcolm and put more wages towards resigning Smith(and Klimpl if possible).

There not a lot between a lot of the keepers I don't think. McGregor looked like a real quality goalie a times last season but not so much this. Boruc looks a real liability, Mark Brown is nothing special, decent. Langfield has had the odd howler in his career but is normally pretty good. Utds keeper I not saw much of but they can't hold onto to him so obviously doing ok. Hibs keepers dire, until signed ex Utd polish lad who I thought was pretty good and seems to have started off ok again. Combe is a good keeper, nothing fancy but pretty consistent. The bottom 4 keepers of Howard, Esson, Olejnik and Cerny have certainly never stood out and well elts face it they should get ample opportunity so I'd put Smith in the upper half certainly.

I know a lot of motherwell fans who would love to see simon lappin back at fp.

Were any of you aware that his contract ends with norwich in the summer?

I was speaking to him last night and he loved his time at fir park and would've loved to join but norwich wanted a fee.

With glenn roeders having left the new manager has spoke to si and he's going to give him his chance, but if mcghee's reading this a wee pre contract for si must be worth considering.

:nod:

I know a lot of motherwell fans who would love to see simon lappin back at fp.

Were any of you aware that his contract ends with norwich in the summer?

I was speaking to him last night and he loved his time at fir park and would've loved to join but norwich wanted a fee.

With glenn roeders having left the new manager has spoke to si and he's going to give him his chance, but if mcghee's reading this a wee pre contract for si must be worth considering.

:nod:

Would be worth a try but I think his wages might be a problem.