January Transfer Window

TAM

For me the Porter replacement thing is a bit of a moot point - Sutton was clearly signed with that in mind. Sutton and Porter don't click as part of a front three - a bit too similar, although I'd say Porter iis the better at linking play, with Sutton a more out-and-out penalty box man. As Melvin says, Sutton and Clarky should work as part of a front two, think we're struggling for personnel to do an effective front three with Rossco's departure. I think Jamie Murphy has the potential to do that role but is still a bit raw, and I would question why O'Brien was ever signed since he's more a wide man in a 4-4-2, and is still below Murphy and MMMcGarry in McGhee's pecking order for the wide front slot in a 4-3-3.

Signings? A decent wide left man like Lappin would be a good shout, although see the O'Brian point - he's be even more of a waste of money in this case. The defence is kinda in injury-related limbo for me, the crux is whether Klimpl can cut it either in the centre or right back. Craggo isn't going to get any better with age, Reynolds may be off within the next year or so, depending on how Klimpl goes, a decent left sided-centre back with pace who could cover Hammell at full back would be a good shout. That kind of player doesn't come cheap or grow on trees however. Hughes should be around 'til summer but needs to sort out whatevers killing his form this season, we're pretty well covered in the rest of midfield.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A decent Right Back in and Quinn out would be ideal.

A solid Centre Half and/or Klimpl kept would be ideal.

A nippy/tricky winger/forward would be quality.

Porter sold for at least £300K would be good business.

Hughes signed up on a contract would be nice.

That little lot would do me during the window :lol:

I didn't realise Robbie Winters was not only so old now, but had been away from Scotland for so long!

Reid still undecided on Winters

Winters made one appearance for Scotland against Germany in 1999

Hamilton Accies boss Billy Reid says he has yet to hold formal discussions with Robbie Winters over the possibility of a contract at the club.

The former Brann Bergen striker trained with Accies this week, but the cold snap has hampered his bid to impress.

"Training facilities have been hard to come by because of the weather. We've not managed to get on the grass," said the Accies boss.

"Robbie's not really up to full spec but he's a talented player."

Former Aberdeen and Dundee United forward Winters scored 70 goals in his six years in Norway.

But, the 34-year-old is now looking at returning to the Scottish game. "We've not really sat down and spoken about things," said Reid. "He's come here for a few days, we'll see how it goes in training and take it from there."

Signings? A decent wide left man like Lappin would be a good shout, although see the O'Brian point - he's be even more of a waste of money in this case. The defence is kinda in injury-related limbo for me, the crux is whether Klimpl can cut it either in the centre or right back. Craggo isn't going to get any better with age, Reynolds may be off within the next year or so, depending on how Klimpl goes, a decent left sided-centre back with pace who could cover Hammell at full back would be a good shout. That kind of player doesn't come cheap or grow on trees however. Hughes should be around 'til summer but needs to sort out whatevers killing his form this season, we're pretty well covered in the rest of midfield.

As usual, I agree with a lot of what you say, MearnsWell.

However, I have to question the widespread belief that Reynolds will be off somewhere. I would suspect that the chances of that are decreasing as his form this season must surely have seen his stock fall. The only thing in his favour is that he is a centre back with pace and these are commodities in short supply. But until he learns better decision-making/positioning, that big move will elude him.

I suspect that Lappin would interest McGhee if he's expressed an interest in Charlie Adam. Both players can play left side of a midfield three with Lappin providing more in terms of versatility. As I stated earlier though, this would mean Fitzpatrick being pushed further out of the picture, especially given Klimpl's arrival in the first team meaning Malcolm is now back in the midfield mix...

Cannot disagree with any of that Melvin, I would say though that I think Reynolds is still coasting the wave of the hype from his initial two seasons a bit, hence the continuing media bigging up and recent Rangers bid. I do say this with the proviso that I was one of his most vocal supporters in that period, and have said that recently that he's shading off a bit - the difficult second season syndrome (except it's his third) - which to be honest is inevitable with young players at some point. I still reckon that it'll be likely he will move on

The Fizzy issue, for me he's not a wide left offensive player in the mould of Lappin, his best performances are slotting in in the middle beside Lasley and Hughes, doing the donkey work and making the odd run forward which Hughes should be able to pick out. I think he's destined to be one of the borderline squad players who polarise opinion, whether this is good enough for him who knows?

Boab back in the middle is interesting, McGhee has came out in the media and said he's not as good as Lasley in the holding role based on this seasons form, hence why he's been benched until a vacancy arose in central defence. Again, I'd have to question McGhee's transfer policy on this, I could see his initial thinking in that Hughes and Boab were a ready made combo for the middle, but for me only in a 4-4-2 and only when they're both on form, which hasny happened. Yes he can offer us cover at the back, and he's actually been OK, however in terms of bang for the buck/minutes on the park for the dosh invested, he's been a huge waste of funds (see also O'Brien this season).

Surely it depend on what system MM wants to use. the 4 -3 -3 caught teams out last year now teams know about ti and adapt. i suppose you always need a back up plan. If it is to ba a 4 in midfield Boab is by no means out of the order. yes lasley and hughes for me would be the two in the centre but having boabs experience and dig surely comes into its own in some games. He can do a man marker as long as he isn't to fast and chip in with the goals. What he really is is a squad player. But what player isn't in our team?

Only issue is what are his wages and is it justified for the role he plays.

On another note any news of this irish consortium coming over to buy us? Thought I read a post saying by the end of the week.?

"Rangers manager Walter Smith is prepared to shed up to 10 players between now and the summer.

While stressing that transfer targets would still be pursued, Smith signalled a likely cull of his 28-man pool.

However, Smith refused to confirm whether fringe men had been told they could leave in January.

"If we had a group of 18 to 20 with a few younger players who are almost ready, I think you would be looking at a decent number," said Smith. Christian Dailly, Steven Smith and Brahim Hemdani have not had a look in this season, while Lee McCulloch and Charlie Adam have been used sparingly."

What do we think anyone we think would be worth signing ? I have heard stories linking us to charlie adam

"Rangers manager Walter Smith is prepared to shed up to 10 players between now and the summer.

While stressing that transfer targets would still be pursued, Smith signalled a likely cull of his 28-man pool.

However, Smith refused to confirm whether fringe men had been told they could leave in January.

"If we had a group of 18 to 20 with a few younger players who are almost ready, I think you would be looking at a decent number," said Smith. Christian Dailly, Steven Smith and Brahim Hemdani have not had a look in this season, while Lee McCulloch and Charlie Adam have been used sparingly."

What do we think anyone we think would be worth signing ? I have heard stories linking us to charlie adam

i would like to see us go for steven smith he looked a good prospect before he got his injury.that would allow us to move hammel further forward if we had smith at left back.charlie adam would be a good signing to if we could get him really fit but i think his demands will see him go down to england.the rest of the players rangers are punting will be well out our price range

McGhee Speaks

McGHEE TO BE LOAN RANGER

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee has revealed he is likely to be restricted to loan signings during the January transfer window.

McGhee, whose team host Kilmarnock in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League on Monday night, has launched an extensive search of players at home, England and abroad.

McGhee has admitted interest in Charlie Adam should Rangers offload the midfielder - but Motherwell are likely to lose out to English clubs, as they did in the summer with failed loan bids for Old Firm pair Andy Webster and John Kennedy.

Slovakian defender Maros Klimpl is looking to extend his loan spell from Danish side FC Midtjylland past the end of the year but injury has restricted him to one appearance so far.

Well are already short at the back, with Stephen Craigan still waiting to return to training following a groin injury and Brian McLean several months off recovering from cruciate ligament damage.

So the Well boss is likely to bring at least one player in.

"We are talking to a lot of people," McGhee said. "Really what we are looking at is loans.

"If we can get someone in from overseas, maybe we can sign someone.

"But we are looking at every avenue, every player that might be available, every contact that we have to see if there are players out there for us."

Last January, McGhee signed Norwich midfielder Simon Lappin on loan until the end of the season, and picked up Bob Malcolm following his release by Derby.

But, with the club spending more money on pitch protection this week after their undersoil heating failed in one small area ahead of the postponed game with Hearts, money could be tight.

McGhee believes that dozens of managers are looking at the same pool of players, so he is trying to be creative.

He said: "You have got to hope your contacts come good or you get a player that no-one else is particularly looking at or no-one else has noticed, or that you get there first.

"We are looking at players that have been on loan at other clubs down south and are maybe coming back at Christmas.

"We are looking at other players who are maybe about to go on loan.

"We are using our imagination in every way we can."

I don't really know what I want to be honest.

I want to sign players and I want to read that we'll be signing players.

But at the same I sometimes feel he should shut up, sign the player - then do talking, especially when much of the talk seems to be the same stuff we've read about having no money, only being able to make loan signings and utilising contacts that we've read in every transfer window since McGhee arrived.

See, I don't really know what I want.

A new keeper?.....

Smith mulling Motherwell future

Motherwell goalkeeper Graeme Smith hopes to tie up his future before the winter is out as he continues to ponder whether to stay at Fir Park.

Smith: Wants future sorted Send to friend

The Scotland B international is out of contract at the end of the season and has discussed his options with Motherwell boss Mark McGhee.

Smith, 25, is keeping an open mind over his future but will look to sort it out in the next few months.

When asked if he wanted to stay at Motherwell, Smith said: "It's an option and I'm not ruling it out so it's just about trying to get a deal done.

"At the end of my contract I'll have been here four years so I think that's long term already.

"But it's a good wee club and there are a lot of good people at the club who are always wanting the best for Motherwell. So we will see what happens.

"The next couple of months will determine how it goes and I'm sure it will sort itself out. Sometimes it does drag on, that's football. Everyone is different with their own situation.

"It's probably better for me and the club that it's done quicker than the summer so I'm sure we can try and get it sorted."

For the time being, Smith is focused on helping Motherwell push up the SPL.

Well are just three points off bottom club Hamilton but they can move up to seventh if they beat Kilmarnock at Fir Park on Monday night.

Smith admits repeating last season's third-place finish is a tall order given that the Steelmen are 13 points off Dundee United and Hearts.

But he believes they can still repeat the flowing football they produced last term.

"I think if we all pull five or 10% more out of our game as a group, we will get up the table," Smith said. "To get third again, looking at it now, would be extremely hard.

"The squad is that small, there are only about 20 of us, that it might be hard, other teams have a bigger squad.

"It's going to be difficult but we just want to get back up the table.

"We know we haven't been playing as well as last season. I think people used to like watching us, even other team's supporters I think liked watching us.

"We know we have not reached the heights of last season, the league table shows you that, but we have the rest of the season to change that and we are looking to do that on Monday."

Going with that interview you seem correct Neil. Smith looks like he has already decided if the right offer comes in he is offski so lets get a keeper. Unless the young polish boy who said it was his dream to play for the Well is good enough?

I think his statement about looking at 50 players for possible loan deals etc. for the January transfer window absolutely ridiculous. I think he now realises that what he got out of this lot was a one season wonder and that they are all reverting back to type as they were under the previous manager. Add to this that he has nada in the way of back-up players and it all adds up to panic.