January Transfer Window

TAM

Guest The Stig
A few players off the top of my head who shouldn't be that far off our budget:

Steve Banks (out-of-favour at Hearts, would provide more experienced back-up to Buzz)

Dave McKay (always looked a solid,reliable defender which is something we've needed this season)

Gordon Greer (similar to McKay, think he's out of favour at Doncaster)

Graham Dorrans ( good creative wide player who would perhaps be available on loan from WBA)

Patrick Cregg (out-of contract i think, looked a good player with a nasty streak in him that we don't really have)

Simon Lappin (already know he can do a job for us , worth another try as he's not figured this season and we need something on the left-hand side)

Stephen Dobbie (Consistently prolific in the 1st division, should be capable of a step-up)

Mark McGhee?

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat Clarke it was

Heres the thread on P&B - clicky

Out of all the players in the lower leagues, what about Liam Buchanan? I remember he used to bang the goals in for Cowdenbeath and has carried that on since joining the jags. The players that have joined Dundee Utd, Caley and Killie have done well since making the step up.

Theres a guy on Pie And Bovril whos a Jags fan and he claims to be 100% certain that hes signing for us in January. The night we met Willie Kinniburgh in the garage he mentioned that we'd put an informal request in for him too.

Does Buchanan not suffer from some kind of degenerative bone disease that comes and goes on his pelvis? Or can only be dealt with by periods of rest?

Really good wee player though, was a different level to every player on the park in the Challenge cup semi.

if he did enough to catch the eye initially it'd probably be worth taking a chance on him. he is young and at worse we lose a 4 figure sum.

Sometimes, if there's something there, it's worthwhile to get them in and see, you never know what you might uncover.

Alan Combe could be a good back up to Buzz?

Lee Mair to replace Coach at RB ?

theres a few guys in the championship/1st div in england Ive heard about from mates down the, Zak Whitbread,6`2 centre half at Millwall, Bradley Orr, superb right back at Bristol city, Jay Tabb, cracking midfield schemer at Coventry all out of contract in July,

Mark Fotheringham and Lappin could be shouts, left sided midfield players both out of contract at Norwich as well in summer.

Dailly, Stevie Smith, Chris Burke at Rangers on loan/wi view to move?

Ian Black is a shout too,

what about the other guys out of contract at Aberdeen, Scott Severin,Jamie Smith?

sure there are many guys out there

There was a bit in the record the other day about how he thought this was his big chance to get a decent move to the championship or something and make his money/get in the Scotland team!

Therefore I doubt very much if he would come to us as 'a good back up to Buzz'!

Plus the guy is a moaning face twat... always good when they are in your team tho i suppose!

Lee Mair to replace Coach at RB ?

theres a few guys in the championship/1st div in england Ive heard about from mates down the, Zak Whitbread,6`2 centre half at Millwall, Bradley Orr, superb right back at Bristol city, Jay Tabb, cracking midfield schemer at Coventry all out of contract in July,

Mark Fotheringham and Lappin could be shouts, left sided midfield players both out of contract at Norwich as well in summer.

Dailly, Stevie Smith, Chris Burke at Rangers on loan/wi view to move?

Ian Black is a shout too,

what about the other guys out of contract at Aberdeen, Scott Severin,Jamie Smith?

sure there are many guys out there

Decent suggestions, but most are well out of our reach.

Lee Mair - Regarded by Utd/Sheep fans as Lee "Night" Mair - can't see him improving our team

Alan Combe - As stated above, moaning faced bastard, Hibs and Hearts in the hunt, we simply can't compete..

Zak Whitbread - Is he not only on loan from Liverpool? If so he will be heading back there, just like Jack Hobbs.

Jay Tabb - One of CC's best players, therefor well out of our reach and suspect he will end up at Sheff U/W, Preston or another mid to top end Championship Club.

Bradley Orr - Same boat as Tabb

Lappin - Defo the best shout out the lot, would have been happy staying with us, but had the urge to give Norwich one last chance, it has failed and now it's time for him to move on, why not back to us!?

Fotheringham - Was a solid performer for NC last season, and albeit out of the team this year, still think another Championship club may come in for him, someone in the mold of Donny Rovers.

Stevie Smith/Chris Burke - Even on loan these might be just that bit too expensive wage wise, can't see Rangers wanting to subsidise most of there wages, look at Webster, Gow, Kennedy - all went to Championship clubs, can see these two doing the same.

Christian Dailly - Surely it will be Tannadice that beckons for him?

Was Dailly not on the brink of signing for us when Malpas got the bullet? I don't really see him heading to Tannadice over us, theres no-one there with any real connection with him and theres no chance he'd be getting a game either. I'd probably take him, solid, sensible player. I've always thought Burke was a decent player too.

Did Dailly and Levein not maybe play for Scotland together? Also, if he's from up there, and they can offer better money, I don't think we'd stand a chance. However, if he's looking to move into management, that might sway him towards us, as Levein is less likely to leave than McGhee, and the 'Well are quite prone to the 'cheap option' when appointing managers.

I think Dougie Imrie from ICT would be a decent signing. I don't think we'd have to break the bank wages-wise since he's from down here, and could fit well into our system.

I actually don't think a centre half is our biggest priority now. With Craigan, Klimpl and McLean all either back or nearly back, I think we should now be looking at a replacement for McCormack and two fullbacks. I also think that if we're going to be greedy, a real quality midfielder would be good as if we're still going to play 433, the third midfielder in with Lasley and Hughes is going to be far weaker, whether it's McGarry, Fitzpatrick, Malcolm, Smith or whoever.

I also think we could give ourselves more options by re-deploying Hammell and Reynolds elsewhere on the park. Both have been shocking in their positions for quite some time and, while I appreciate both players have their attributes, I don't think they are best served where they are. I would like to see Hammell given a shot on the left of one of the banks of three, and I'd like to see Reynolds try to play full-back or centre-mid as his pace and his engine are his best features.

Frazzle

He is from up here and still has family here. He and Levein have no obvious connection though, not at club or international level anyway. Maybe Wattie fancies offering him and cash for Robertson?

Think you're right about Reynolds. I reckon he'd be handy at left back. Plenty pace at least.

Tabb and Orr were just names plucked out from previous convo`s, I thought they were meant to be good and would be out of our reach,

Combe might be a moaning twat but a decent back up and not expensive, and im sure mair has had a few good reviews this season,he seems to be ok, certainly not worse than quinn.

Welltilidie, wts this juicy gossip you are alluding to?

and Zak Whitbread i think would be in the same boat as Orr/Tabb, he is signed to Millwall definately, out of contract in july and highly rated!

to be honest, I believe the most likely thing is MMG will bring in 2 or 3 loanees from champ/prem clubs to tide us to the summer before he rides off into the sunset, unless welltilidie knows something we dont regarding new ownership or a big bag of money being found under our dodgy heating system

As far as I am aware there will be a substantial budget made available in January hopefully you will learn why this is the case later this week or by monday all going well. :D

I too have heard there is more to come from the irish guys, suposidly Boyle was being greedy with the asking price for the club and they pulled out but now hes went back to them. Im not going to claim my source is reliable because he is a tit, but who knows.