Plastic Pitch

maxywell

a don't think its allowed in the spl at the moment but if it was it would surely be an idea for us.the area that the pitch is on clearly isn't great and doesn't have good drainage so it doesnae matter how often we relay it,it'll still be pish by the end of the season.it wouldn't hider our game or make injuries any more likely than on the pitch we have just now and by spl standards motherwell aren't a hard tackling team so wouldn't have to change their game.also it would give us an advantage for home games like it did for hamilton the year they got promoted.

anyone agree or have any other ideas about the pitch?

Yip - Andy Russell's method, religiously ridicule anyone who even attempts to set foot on the precious turf. His philosophy "Grass grows in inches..........but feet kill it - KEEP OFF THE GRASS", so what do our esteemed groundstaff do, take Andy's philosophy to a whole new level - keep the feet of it..................................instead drive a bloody great tractor over it :lol:

a don't think its allowed in the spl at the moment but if it was it would surely be an idea for us.the area that the pitch is on clearly isn't great and doesn't have good drainage so it doesnae matter how often we relay it,it'll still be pish by the end of the season.it wouldn't hider our game or make injuries any more likely than on the pitch we have just now and by spl standards motherwell aren't a hard tackling team so wouldn't have to change their game.also it would give us an advantage for home games like it did for hamilton the year they got promoted.

anyone agree or have any other ideas about the pitch?

No Thanks, but a new stadium where the sun actually shines on the pitch would help

Did anyone hear Jack Ross on the radio the other night talking about it?

He said the pitch didn't actually play that badly and a lot of the other pitches are just as bad. This coming the week after his team had lost there.

The pitch is just being used an excuse by managers that drop points here. Get on with it. It's not great but deal with it.

I've been quite critical of the groundstaff on here in recent weeks, and I do think they probably should shoulder some of the blame for the current nick, but from what I seen last night, that wasn't caused by a tractor driving over it.

There was no substance to the pitch, nothing holding it together it was like playing on a beach with some green shoots through it. A tracter might mess the thing up, but it certainly doesnt alter the composition of the entire surface.

Do you not think that the fact that there were massive tractor marks across the middle of the park would suggest that the grounsmen dont have a clue? Whether teh tractor marks have any great bearing on the overall pitch is inconclusive but it is a helluva clue to leave for people to jump to conclusions about how they are actually looking after the pitch in general???

I've been quite critical of the groundstaff on here in recent weeks, and I do think they probably should shoulder some of the blame for the current nick, but from what I seen last night, that wasn't caused by a tractor driving over it.

There was no substance to the pitch, nothing holding it together it was like playing on a beach with some green shoots through it. A tracter might mess the thing up, but it certainly doesnt alter the composition of the entire surface.

Thats probably where leaving the covers on and USH running for 2 weeks solid comes in.

Thats probably where leaving the covers on and USH running for 2 weeks solid comes in.

So really what we're saying is that it's the SPL's requirements for USH that are causing the problem with our pitch and others in the league.

Good on Jack Ross to come out and defend the pitch, finally nice to get some common sense instead of the usual tripe. Several other pitches in the SPL play just as badly with the ball bouncing all over, they just happen to have a bit more green on them.

And don't get me started on Hampden a few years back.

I've been told that for years John Chapman refused to install undersoil due to the damage it would cause to the turf. He may have had a point!!

Grass isn't supposed to be heated to the extent that has been required during the extreme - and prolonged - dip in temperature recently, but if it isn't heated then the park is frozen solid and the games are off. Catch 22 situation.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the drainage system is actually working too well and taking all of the moisture out of the turf.

So aye, ironically the 'improvements' that had the pitch looking immaculate at the start of the season have ended up contributing to the poor state of the pitch now.

So really what we're saying is that it's the SPL's requirements for USH that are causing the problem with our pitch and others in the league.

the spl don't force us to turn the USH on all the time though. if it is used properly it's clearly a good thing to have. having it on for a fortnight with the the covers on doesn't seem too clever.

What about all the pish we were told when we had to play in Airdrie? All the crap about layers of soil and how it all knits together so it gets us through a bad winter. Where the f**k is the soil???? All I see is sand.

Get some grounds staff that know what they are doing and stop listening to all the waffle.

i am sure your not aloud to play in europe with a plastic pitch as that on in russia that had that champions league final has to be taken up and grass put down. also did livi or dunfermline not have to move a game cos of there pitch was artificial

I think they only ripped that up because it was for the final though.

Celtic definitely played on the plastic pitch and I think one of the English teams have as well.