Booze At The Fitba'

Haggischomper

Is it time to bring back booze?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Should the SPL allow clubs to sell booze in the stands until 10 mins after half-time?

• Aye
    • Naw

We've come along way since the 70's/80s heyday of boozy fitba' mentalness. Should SPL clubs now be allowed to sell booze at games until, say, 10 mins into the 2nd half? Could be sold from the back of the stands or by vendors going up and down the stairs. Obviously, I am not talking about carry-outs being allowed back in - don't think we'll ever see a return to those days - and no spirits or anything but just cans of beer opened by the vendors and poured into plastic mugs.

Would it be a go-er? Isn't it about time we were treated like adults again and not thugs? Might be a good wee revenue stream for the likes of MFC.

Any thoughts? And, aye, I know fatcalf is gonna lobby for Becks...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, those with a fondness of egg chasing and grown adults feeling each other up in the scrum are permitted, even when viewing the match!

On a serious note, A yes for me if it's worked under the same regulation as enjoyed across the border. Works fine there, isn't allowed within the viewing area (differs to what the usual suspects in the Scottish footy media would have you believe, well, on the account they've never tested sitting with the normal rank and file) and a welcome change from the normal dirge and lack of facilities prevalent in Scotland.

Facilities wise, only certain grounds could offer this in Scotland. Ibrox, The San Giro, those in Edinburgh, Paisley, Falkirk and Perth to name a few. Ourselves? South and Cooper Stands. East Stand at our current abode wouldn't allow, concourse not ideal in the Main similarly ruling Tannadice out. Our near neighbours? Least said about that shower the better...

I voted yes. It's been a while since I've been to a game down south but its very civilised to have a pint or two with your pies at half time and catch up with the Sky footie. It could work in Scotland but obviously the Old Firm fans don't get to drink since they caused all the problems in the first place. Clubs could apply for a licence on a game by game basis detailing which stands / areas will be selling drinkies

I'm in favour. Personally having been to many Premiership matches, the All Seated environment sanitises the atmosphere and I cannot see any reason why they shouldn't bring it back.

Many a time I have been seen downing a quick half before heading upto Fir Park from Daniels because it would be the last booze for a few hours. If you let people have a booze in the ground it would get them in early (extra revenue and less hassle coz they would be segregated earlier) and would stop the pre-match binge.

When I was last at the riverside I had a pint at half time as did many others. Don't recall any mindless violence.
There wasn't mindless violence at every game when you were allowed to drink. Just enough games to make it unworkable.

Sadly, I just don't think that Scottish drinking habits have changed sufficiently for it to work, although the all-seated stadiums might have some positive impact. To be honest, though, I'd rather have terracing and a dry stadium than seats with a pint at half-time.

Id be all for this, done the same way as in England, out if sight of the pitch. Could Even have Baseball style vendors selling from their trays to minimise waiting/queing at the pie stalls. Given the fact you can drink all you want at a rugby match and at concerts etc there cannot be a legal way to block this, Even if the SPL brought it back for a 2 or 3 month trial period to see what happened. Only thing I would ban tho is Alcohol being served at Old Firm games,cause those wanks would just abuse it and then use it as an excuse for fighting / belting out their party songs

Edit : Germany is the way forward, Drink AND Terraces!

When I was last at the riverside I had a pint at half time as did many others. Don't recall any mindless violence.

Was that before Chesney took over :lol: !

I'm all for the English system, no drink in the stands.........But could see it going tits up when the bigot brothers come to town !

We've come along way since the 70's/80s heyday of boozy fitba' mentalness.

Aye, we've come a long way because there is no booze at the football.

Totally against it and frankly if you can't go 90 minutes without a drink maybe some kind of 12 step programme should be your priority!

Aye, we've come a long way because there is no booze at the football.

Totally against it and frankly if you can't go 90 minutes without a drink maybe some kind of 12 step programme should be your priority!

Totally against the ban cos the Bigot Bros caused it, we paid the price. Not fussed with it though as I can happily do without but not if we get many more games like last two Accies games. BY the same token bring back smoking at fitba', there's an open area inside the turnstyles at the East Stand which could be used.

To be honest, no.

Take last Wednesday night as an example. The Papac incident happened right infront of me, albeit 7 rows in front. The whole stand goes mental as we should, but........ a few fannies including the baldy dude can't contain themselves and go right to the front venting like derranged banshee's. Now whilst the guy looked out of control, at least he was able to stay on the right side of the wall. Whats going to happen when the crowd are boozed up??

Sadly, I don't think the Scottish culture and fitbaw can co-exist in the ground together.