Ruddy Keen To Stay, Who Else Is Top Of Brown's List?

LadywellToi

I turned on Radio Scotland while driving last night about 6pm and heard just the end of a sports news item, came on the board but didn't see anything which I thought surprising. Anyway here is the full interview, encouraging stuff.

BBC Ruddy Interview

Based on this:

a) can we afford him?

b) would Boyle consider buying him and taking a hit on a 3 year contract with the hope of selling him for a good profit after year 2?

c) he seems keen enough

d) definitely a fans favourite

e) are we naive to think there won't be interest from other clubs?

Considering only Reynolds and Sutton have extended contracts at present, it would be interesting to know who forum members would look to retain/resign and in what priority its felt Brown should put on gaining their signature. Issues to contemplate when looking at the squad before compiling a list would surely have to be:

• key/pivotal to team
  • servant/loyalty
  • interest (or lack) to other clubs
  • distance from family
  • desire to play for MFC or move on

Personally I'd go for:

1./ Ruddy (I would argue he is most peoples number 1 choice, integral and keen)

2./ Hammell (He has actively touted for it and I feel he's happy and settled - I think he may be happy to finish his career at Fir Park)

3./ Hateley (Great season so far, can only see his stock rising, when playing in front of defence he part of spine of team)

4./ Saunders (Again potential and Craigan isn't going to be around for ever)

5./ Lasley (think his current form if its continued will attract significant interest from other Scottish clubs unless secured)

6./ Coke (Battling midfielder, young and hungry)

7./ Duke (resale value but realistically out our price range)

8./ Jennings (Not sure how much he would like to get back to England but impressive of late)

9./ O'Brien (Think he has already decided to move as he's very ambitious and perceives Aberdeen or Hearts will increase his exposure and salary)

10./ Craigan (Age places him in 10th and the fact he is looking for a coaching job for when he hangs up his boots, however I'd like to place him further up for his service and conduct since the summer, but objectivity places him here).

11./ Humphrey - (Still to be convinced, pace blistering, still waiting to see with my own eyes what was reported from Rugby Park)

I'm resigned to losing Ruddy, Jutkiewicz and O'Brien for definate unfortunately. I'd like to think inroads were already being made to keep all the others.

I think Saunders (along with Forbes and Hutchinson) recently signed a new 3 year deal, and Humphrey may be on a 2 year deal also so we wouldn't have to worry about them just yet.

I'm fairly sure Humphrey signed a three-year deal when he joined.

To be honest, if we start next season with the exact same squad as we have now, I'd be delighted. However, I can't see that being the case.

If this team does get kept together, it's only going to get better.

To be honest, if we start next season with the exact same squad as we have now, I'd be delighted. However, I can't see that being the case.

If this team does get kept together, it's only going to get better.

I would also be delighted if we started next season with no new signings, but retained the services of everyone we have right now. The players seem to like playing for Brown and Knox and now they have signed a contract this will hopefully help sway the players.

I turned on Radio Scotland while driving last night about 6pm and heard just the end of a sports news item, came on the board but didn't see anything which I thought surprising. Anyway here is the full interview, encouraging stuff.

BBC Ruddy Interview

Based on this:

a) can we afford him?

b) would Boyle consider buying him and taking a hit on a 3 year contract with the hope of selling him for a good profit after year 2?

c) he seems keen enough

d) definitely a fans favourite

e) are we naive to think there won't be interest from other clubs?

Considering only Reynolds and Sutton have extended contracts at present, it would be interesting to know who forum members would look to retain/resign and in what priority its felt Brown should put on gaining their signature. Issues to contemplate when looking at the squad before compiling a list would surely have to be:

• key/pivotal to team
  • servant/loyalty
  • interest (or lack) to other clubs
  • distance from family
  • desire to play for MFC or move on

Personally I'd go for:

1./ Ruddy (I would argue he is most peoples number 1 choice, integral and keen)

2./ Hammell (He has actively touted for it and I feel he's happy and settled - I think he may be happy to finish his career at Fir Park)

3./ Hateley (Great season so far, can only see his stock rising, when playing in front of defence he part of spine of team)

4./ Saunders (Again potential and Craigan isn't going to be around for ever)

5./ Lasley (think his current form if its continued will attract significant interest from other Scottish clubs unless secured)

6./ Coke (Battling midfielder, young and hungry)

7./ Duke (resale value but realistically out our price range)

8./ Jennings (Not sure how much he would like to get back to England but impressive of late)

9./ O'Brien (Think he has already decided to move as he's very ambitious and perceives Aberdeen or Hearts will increase his exposure and salary)

10./ Craigan (Age places him in 10th and the fact he is looking for a coaching job for when he hangs up his boots, however I'd like to place him further up for his service and conduct since the summer, but objectivity places him here).

11./ Humphrey - (Still to be convinced, pace blistering, still waiting to see with my own eyes what was reported from Rugby Park)

Been thinking this for a while but the fact you weren't at rugby park has sealed the deal for me. You are Leeann Dempster, int ye?

If we can secure Cash for Ruddy, he is top priority IMO.

2. Hatyely, he is sure to move to England in a season or two or Rangers might try to poach him. He is real class.

Summer i would like a new RB and if Hammy gets injured then a LB would be nice.

Expect Duke to go as he is out of our price range so another striker in summer. JOB is most likely gone.

The rest we dont need to worry about as there on 2/3 year deals.

Apologies for not knowing the status of the other players, was going on the BBC news item:

BBC Sports News - Well Looking to Secure Players

It states only Sutton and Reynolds have extended contracts at present. Wasn't a member of the thread back in the summer when they would have been discussed at length on here no doubt.

If you believe WellAyrshire I was getting fitted for my cocktail dress for the SPL summer ball at the time.

I'd be happy to have Ruddy on a 3 year deal if we could afford it because he's an excellent goalkeeper but I'm not sure about the idea of selling him on at profit.

As a club I can't remember us selling many goalkeepers for a significant sum (probably Sieb Dykstra was the last one and even then it wasn't a huge fee, £250K, which would probably only be half of the transfer and wages needed for a Ruddy deal.

Generally speaking goalkeepers don't have huge sell on potential; Boruc is still at Celtic after all these years and Rangers were desperate to sell on McGregor and no offer ever came in. In fact you'd be hard pressed to find 5 examples of goalkeepers leaving the SPL for a significant sum - Craig Gordon was very much an exception.

I think you would be taking a huge financial gamble pumping money into a Ruddy deal with the expectation of generating finance out of it.

The best chance of making money out of Ruddy would be hoping with a solid back bone to the team we could get high leagues places, perhaps qualify for Europe or have a cup run rather than from a transfer fee.

Don't think Motherwell FC could afford to pay Ruddy's wages on a 3 year deal, but i think John Boyle could afford it and for him i think it would be a very good investment. Players like Ruddy don't appear very often at Fir Park but when they do and when they want to stay, it is a bonus and i think this decision could be down to John Boyle to finance the deal like he did with Porter and Hughes.

Ruddy doesn't exactly say anywhere in that BBC interview that he is keen to stay.

I'd consider it, without a doubt," Ruddy confirmed.

"I've always said my first option is to go back down to England, for my family's sake as well.

Not that I blame the guy, but it sounds like he'll be off like a shot if any decent English club makes an offer.

Not unless I got too drunk during my last stop in Bangkok.

Sorry to tell you there Hercule but your assumption is negative.

Male, 32, grew up in the wimpy's hence the name, got chased through the Dutchy by the Levi Toi on a adolescent night out, hence the joining of the names.

Sorry about that. That daft notion popped out ma head when I was still blootered this morning :lol:

Ruddy is a perfect example of how a loan player should behave at a Club. Not only has he been in fantastic form on the pitch but he is open and honest about his future, without being disrespectfull to the club. Fast becoming one of my favourite Well players and is shoe in for player of the season imo. Good stuff John!