Why Do We Hate Hearts So Much?

GazzyB

There always used to be trouble on and off the park when we played them in the 80's... I suspect a lot of it stems from that. With the likes of Wayne Foster, Walter Kidd and Gary Mackay playing for them in those days, what wasn't to hate?
:lol:

Spot on with that!

My recollections go back to the Texaco Cup in the 70's when they rioted because we were beating them. Fans spilled onto the pitch disrupted the flow of a classic 'well performance in the making and they stole the match. Thats when I started to hate them if my memory serves me right. Although age and alcohol may play tricks on an old fella's memory.

Plus everyone of their teams happen to be cheating diving bams from roberton to mccann to the immigrants from eastern europe !

Totally agree with that.

Since I started going to Fir park in the early-mid eighties they have been a filthy, cheating team with the gamesmanship going on at any opportunity.

It as if its ingrained into them... playing the "Hearts way" as it were.

Celtic and Rangers fans wind me up, but its the actual Hearts team(s) which wind me up.

Naw, that was 99\00 and to be fair we threw it away ourselves.

Ah, the season Aberdeen got to the UEFA Cup by being humped by Rangers in the Scottish Cup while coming bottom of the League... they then went on to be humped oot by the mighty Bohemians of Ireland

You can add Robbie Neilson to the list of cheats playing/played for the Jambo's. He claimed a foul for everything, tried to get Lasley sent off for an elbow and must have stolen about 10 yards at every throw in he took.

He's been playing with Hearts and their eastern europeans too long.

His hair looks like it hasn't been washed for months too.

Guest JohnnyDefault

There's always been a bit of needle as long as I can ever remember it. i remember the picture in the paper of a fan getting carted out from the wire fence in the shed (before it was the east stand) with a lovely dart embedded in his schnozzle! the fan thing has always been a bit 'tasty' - in fact its absolutely nothing now, compared to what it used to be.

I think it stems from their superiority complex and arrogance - when really they're no better than us - I think for many seasons even given their greater resources we've been on a par achievement wise with them.

The height of it no doubt was in the mid 80's when they really fancied themselves and were seriously challenging the old firm under Doddy McDonald - We gave it our best shot but somehow they mangaged to get away with kicking us off the park, getting real dodgy decisions - and regularly put a few past us. A real sense of hatred and injustice grew towards them and we seemed to draw them in the cup all the time as well.

Can I add Scott Crabbe to the list - I hated that wee swine!

I'll try and get that 2 page GLF cartoon from that period (drawn by a Jambo btw) scanned and someone can post it - it's a belter.

C'mon the well

You can add Robbie Neilson to the list of cheats playing/played for the Jambo's. He claimed a foul for everything, tried to get Lasley sent off for an elbow and must have stolen about 10 yards at every throw in he took.

He's been playing with Hearts and their eastern europeans too long.

His hair looks like it hasn't been washed for months too.

Steven Pressley's lovechild? :whistling:

I think most of the trouble in the 80's and 90's was down to Motherwell fans! Easter Road was always a much more intimidating place to go as a visiting fan than Tynecastle.

More likely the reason is the long unbeaten run Hearts had against us in the 80's and 90's. If I remember correctly it ran to about 16 games or something like that.

Combine that with one of the dirtiest teams you are ever likely to see (Black, Whittaker, MacKay, Kidd etc) and you got a pretty good reason.

Perhaps another reason but I think I've seen Motherwell play Hearts under floodlights more than any other team. We always seem to have midweek matches against them or Scottish Cup ties and those types of matches usually are a bit more exciting than afternoon matches on a Saturday.

My recollections go back to the Texaco Cup in the 70's when they rioted because we were beating them. Fans spilled onto the pitch disrupted the flow of a classic 'well performance in the making and they stole the match. Thats when I started to hate them if my memory serves me right. Although age and alcohol may play tricks on an old fella's memory.

That's my recollection as well, at least that's where my hatred of them stems from. We were mugged that night.

There's always been a bit of needle as long as I can ever remember it. i remember the picture in the paper of a fan getting carted out from the wire fence in the shed (before it was the east stand) with a lovely dart embedded in his schnozzle! the fan thing has always been a bit 'tasty' - in fact its absolutely nothing now, compared to what it used to be.

Pretty sure that was Hibs

The 'hatred' towards Hearts is actually quite childish I think. It's basically down to the fact that back in the 80s and early 90s, we could not buy a result against them for love nor money. Plus, our Cup winning manager Tommy McLean, left us for them. It's an inferiority complex on our part, but that's just part of football, as Airdrie and Accies are the same with us.

The much talked about trouble caused by their supporters in the past is very true, I remember it well. However, I always thought that Hibs and Aberdeen fans were every bit as bad, if not worse than Hearts were when they came to Fir Park, and as has already been mentioned, Easter Road was a very intimidating venue for an away supporter back in the day. I've had more hassle on Easter Road than I have had on Gorgie Road down the years.

But, at the end of the day, they're all tossers!

I think the rivalry in the 80's was also down to the fact that we were both yo-yoing between the Premier and First Divisions at the same time in the late Seventies and early Eighties.

I seem to remember denying them promotion at Tynecastle on the last day of the season one year (1982 ?). We had already tied up the league and they needed to win to go up with us. We cuffed them 3-0 and Kilmarnock win to snatch second place - superb day.

It took them a while to forgive us for that one. :rolleyes: