Why Do We Hate Hearts So Much?

GazzyB

The 'hatred' towards Hearts is actually quite childish I think. It's basically down to the fact that back in the 80s and early 90s, we could not buy a result against them for love nor money.

Goes back a lot further than that my friend.

My father used to talk of a great Motherwell -v- Hearts rivalry in the 1950's, when both clubs had fairly decent sides and relative success on the park.

Then there's something missed so far........ Motherwell - Hearts, where west meets east (before Livingston). Lanarkshire borders West Lothian and fans of both clubs were and can be found in border towns such as Forth, Bathgate, Armadale, Whitburn, etc., creating a geographic rivalry.

Texaco Cup semi of 1970 was my 1st taste of the Jambos, and as I progressed thru my teens the visit of Hearts was an eagerly awaited fixture for us that frequented the shed.

I joined BoS in Edinburgh in 1982, ( 1 month after the infamous final game of season 81/82 :rolleyes: and the riot in Gorgie Road), and spent 20 years working there (which included 2 stints living in the capital) ................. and Hearts fans are worse than H-uns in my experience.

FHW ...... too right !

Have to say i dont hate Hearts. The cup game at Tynecastle last season 2-2 draw. Some decent Hearts fans were commenting after the game on our Uncle Phil banner and wishing us all the best and i remember me and my Mrs walking down Gorgie Road and seeing Well and Hearts fans having a laugh together. I remember the old days too when it was SERIOUSLY dodgy outside Tynie but times have changed. I also remember this season after we'd beat Hibs 1-0 and Hearts fans cheering us as we went by. They're just another team as far as im concerned and beating them is FAB but Celtic Rangers Hibs Airdrie i hate them and remember when Dunfermline fans invaded the park when they scored a 2nd against us in a meaningless game for them which would've sent us down before Van Der Gaag's 25 yarder saved us FECK THEM ALSO! I hope they NEVER get back to the SPL. :rolleyes: .

Right from when I first started to follow Motherwell, they have always been at it on the park, and off the park there have been a good few occasions to reach the conclusion they are FHW. More than once their fans have damaged my car when trying to get away from Fir Park, including once damaging the exhaust.

Goes back a lot further than that my friend.

My father used to talk of a great Motherwell -v- Hearts rivalry in the 1950's, when both clubs had fairly decent sides and relative success on the park.

Then there's something missed so far........ Motherwell - Hearts, where west meets east (before Livingston). Lanarkshire borders West Lothian and fans of both clubs were and can be found in border towns such as Forth, Bathgate, Armadale, Whitburn, etc., creating a geographic rivalry.

Texaco Cup semi of 1970 was my 1st taste of the Jambos, and as I progressed thru my teens the visit of Hearts was an eagerly awaited fixture for us that frequented the shed.

I joined BoS in Edinburgh in 1982, ( 1 month after the infamous final game of season 81/82 :woop: and the riot in Gorgie Road), and spent 20 years working there (which included 2 stints living in the capital) ................. and Hearts fans are worse than H-uns in my experience.

FHW ...... too right !

I'm just a bit too young to remember that infamous Texaco Cup semi final from 1970, as I would only have been three at the time, but I've heard all about it, especially from my auld man and many others. There's no doubt that there's been some tasy encounters between the clubs down the years. But I just don't buy into this 'rivalry' thing, because in my experience, Hearts fans don't give a shit about us, and I've enountered many of them through living and working in Edinburgh alongside them for the best part of my life. It's like the way our fans feel about Hamilton Accies - they hate us, but we don't care enough about them to hate them in the way they do us.

And as for the comment about them being as bad as *banned word*? That's way off the mark I'm afraid, way off. Hearts, like Motherwell, have a small contingent in their support who let their club down with some songs and behaviour at certain games, but they are nowhere near as bad as Rangers fans. I wouldn't go shouting that around Gorgie way I can tell you. Believe me, they hate the *banned word* as much as anyone else does and are embarrassed - just as we are - to be labelled in the same sentence as them. When I started going to games with my dad when I was a wee boy, games against the Old Firm were terrifying affairs as we were completely outnumbered, even in our own ground by them, and they were alot worse then than they are now I can tell you. You spent the entire game dodging flying objects, flying fists and had to listen to their usual sectarian crap right through. Hearts were no angels, but they were never in the same league as Rangers, or Celtic fans for that matter and still aren't.

The only time I've ever really disliked Hearts was when Jim Jeffries was there during the mid nineties. His greetin' face coupled with his team of John Robertson & John Colquohoun(two of the worst diving cheats in the history of Scottish football) and the likes of Steve Fulton, Neil Pointon and Neil Berry, Gary Locke and that big French keeper, Rousset. They were just a really detestable team at that time, and we couldn't for the life of us beat them either! Since then though, they've not really bothered me as much although I always enjoy beating them and winding up my Jambo mates.

And as for the comment about them being as bad as *banned word*? That's way off the mark I'm afraid, way off. Hearts, like Motherwell, have a small contingent in their support who let their club down with some songs and behaviour at certain games, but they are nowhere near as bad as Rangers fans.

I'm talking about experiences from over 20 years working, (8 living), in Edinburgh, going on football trips with colleagues, day to day life in the capital, nights out on the town, pub crawls in Leith, the South side, the west end, following Motherwell to Swynecastle, etc.., Jambos have an attitude and self inflated aloofness akin to the We Are The People merchants and equally sectarian on many counts.

You have obviously experienced different, but I am merely relaying my experiences from life in the capital 1982 - 2003.

robbie neilson is wank also :whistling:

how many country miles did he steal at every shy?

He clearly shows how long it's been since FHW's players have been paid. Scruffy chunt.......

Jambos have an attitude and self inflated aloofness akin to the We Are The People merchants and equally sectarian on many counts.

The whole aloofness is kinda ironic, the vast majority of there support is from Gorgie and westwards, i.e. Saughton and the salobrius heights of westerhailles, sighthill an area notoriously full of drug dens and general dodgy behaviour.

I agree about the whole sectarian bit every bit as bad if not worse than that team from the govan area (another quality neighbourhood)

Living this side of the country does give you an extra edge when it comes to disliking a football side. For example, it is not often you see the Celtic/Rangers thing in Livingston as bad as all the arseholes that are Hearts fans.

For me Hearts fans are worse than any of the Old Firm couple! But that is through experience for myself than anything on a wider scale

I hate Hearts more now that I ever have done.

This is mainly due to the fact that there team is full of dirty stinking cheats.... did you see the dive that the fellow Palazuelos took the other day. Fair enuff Shuggies studs where high but he never caught him. Boy blatantly tried to cheat to get a red card for Hughes.

There is a history going back with the clubs that i agree but I think they are more loathsome at the moment than I can remember.

My dad used to tell me that the football classic of the season that was looked forward to was Motherwell V Hearts either at FP or Tynecastle in the 1950's when both clubs had right good players.

For me however I began hating them after the 1970 Texaco cup carry-on. My dad took me and brother and we both came home greeting that night as we'd been dirty beat. Ever since then I love to see us beating them.