Chris Porter

Gaag

Anyone know how Chris Porters injury is shaping up? Nothing serious I hope? If there's any risk, I'd hope that Mark McGhee would bench him on Saturday against Inverurie in favour of Jamie Murphy. I know we're not a team that's really able to rest players for cup games against small teams, but surely one player wouldn't make a difference when it comes to keeping him fit for our climb up the league?

On the note of big Ports... I know his contract is up in the summer, and that he may very well leave for a fee in January, but does anyone know if the club are actually trying too keep him and offer him a new deal? I understand that his wages are pretty high, but it seems that Boyle took a gamble on him with the wages and it paid off.. surely it'd make more financial sense to get him tied up on another 2 year deal, and if he continues to form, punt him for the sort of fee we got for McDonald? Does anyone know Ports at all? I wonder if he'd be amenable to doing that?

I'd be absolutely over the moon if he were to agree to stay, but I've a feeling that any decision on that would be based on how high we can climb the league or how far we can get in the cups.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reckon our poor start to the season has put paid to any plans we may have had to keep him. I think he'll definitely be off in the summer and if we can get some decent money for him in this window then I'd let him go with a pat on the back and a big thumbs up.

Without flinging in the reserves or u19's I'd be for starting Sutton ahead of Porter and Murphy for Clarkson probably anyway on saturday. Could use a run out and should still have more than enough to get past this lot, however up for it they are. Also rest Hughes for McGarry.

Reckon our poor start to the season has put paid to any plans we may have had to keep him. I think he'll definitely be off in the summer and if we can get some decent money for him in this window then I'd let him go with a pat on the back and a big thumbs up.

If I was Porter, and I know I'm naw I would actually wait till the Summer, or at least the split to decide my future. If Motherwell make the top 6 and are only a couple of points of 5th and the Scottish Cup Semi Finals/Final has the top 4 Clubs in Scotland in it, then we would be only a couple of points of a UEFA Cup spot.

OK, the first round of the UEFA Cup Quals is not glamorous, and even the First Round proper has been known not to help keep players, but maybe, just maybe Porter my think a couple of more years here and I could get a better deal either from the Old Firm ( :D ) or down south

The radio last night reckoned he'd gone off with a groin injury. Hopefully nothing serious but I probably wouldn't risk him against Inverurie, maybe get Sutton in to partner Clarky up front.

I'd love Porter to stay but I think we have to be resigned to losing him as he's too good to stay long term! Hopefully we can keep him until the end of the season and his goals can leave us with a decent parting gift.

It was only when I saw his stats yesterday that I realised what a huge impact he's had for us. I thought he was a cracking player anyway but his strike rate's something like 28 goals in 58 games! :D

Read a quote from Porter in today's papers. Said something along the lines of -

'Not sure what will happen but I'm English and my family are still down there.'

To me he wants to be closer to home and you can't blame him. If anyone had the choice of earning at least the same of more money closer to home you would take it. The only reason anyone would take a job far from home would be for big bucks that you couldn't earn near home.

If / when he goes I'd just say ' THANK YOU CHRIS!!'

I hope Chris plays if only for a few minutes on Saturday.

that way if any Scottish club do offer the money for him he would be cup tied.

i said on the way to0 the game last night that I hoped he wouldn't go off late in the game with some wee injury as that would look like he might be staying in Scotland after the window but not with us.

Hope I'm way off the mark tho and the Big man moves south, or stays for next years euro games, with our good wishes

I wouldn't make wholesale changes for Saturday, but if Ports has any sort of knock then leave him out. The same goes for guys like Clarky and Crago who're just back after injury, missing this wouldn't be the end of the world and we're still extremely likely to win.

In terms of Ports long term future, I'd want him to stay until the end of the season unless we get a silly offer for him. With something like 50k per place prize money in the SPL plus the prospect of a run in the Scottish Cup, we could make more money by keeping him than selling him.

Don't know about Porter but Klimpl is out and another couple have knocks

Where did you hear all that mate?

I certainly wouldn't risk anyone for this game. As important as it is, I would hope that even a below-strength team should be able to deal with Locos. No disrespect to them at all but we should beat them.

Guest Reuben
Where did you hear all that mate?

I certainly wouldn't risk anyone for this game. As important as it is, I would hope that even a below-strength team should be able to deal with Locos. No disrespect to them at all but we should beat them.

Heard it from one of the guys in the shop

The Scottish cup is important to every club. It is a money spinner, it is something that the fans want, they want us getting us to the later stages of the cup, and they don’t expect to see us lose against lower league opposition.

Since when?! :whistling:

Without flinging in the reserves or u19's I'd be for starting Sutton ahead of Porter and Murphy for Clarkson probably anyway on saturday. Could use a run out and should still have more than enough to get past this lot, however up for it they are. Also rest Hughes for McGarry.

That is a BAD move imo. DC needs this game with a big chance of a goal or three to get his confidence up. Been playing OK but you can see he is itching to score and I reckon he will be RAGIN at being left out.

Only my opinion aw the same..

Ross McCormack could take note from the big fella. Been linked with all sorts of clubs, and I've no doubt he has ambitions above MFC the same as Ross did, but he just tells the press he wants to play for us and he keeps playing well!

He'll leave with my best wishes whenever he goes. Hopefully not too soon though another season would be lovely! Oan the big man

Its amazing how bad you can make something look when you 1-0 up with three minutes to go. As others have said Saturday should be a day for the first 11 with no unnecessary risk. If they fully fit play, if any niggle or doubt then no. And if we can't win with that lot then we deserve to be out.

Its amazing how bad you can make something look when you 1-0 up with three minutes to go. As others have said Saturday should be a day for the first 11 with no unnecessary risk. If they fully fit play, if any niggle or doubt then no. And if we can't win with that lot then we deserve to be out.

I noticed Paul Quinn at that twice. Jim O'B took a knock and went to hobble on and Coach told him to get on the deck and get the physio on, then he did it again with Buzz towards the end of the game. Fly bassa

As well as saying he's English blah blah the Express all carries on with him saying that he isn't closing the door on staying with us either.

May just be talk but it might give us a glimmer of hope especially if we get a Euro slot.

Like I said. Porter isn't an idiot. He'll keep all his options open for as long as possible. I believe the only way he'll sign a contract with someone in January is if Motherwell receive an offer they cannot refuse, and he is thrown oot the door.