Chris Porter

Gaag

Porter is a top striker who I have liked since day one, he has scored lots of goals for us. If he gets a move to a Championship side then we can't be churlish and deny him it, football players owe us feck all and as long as they play to their best when wearing our jersey then I'll never complain. Something for all his faults McDonald did and Porter does too.

Just a wee thought though, last season nearly all his goals were with his feet, this time a lot more have come from his head.

And after a thought a stat - every time Porter has scored this season we have won and every time Clarkson has scored we have lost.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point about the spl being of a lower standard is a load of rubbish, iv watched plenty of League One football at Carlisle in the past few seasons and it is of a decent standard but the current Motherwell team would walk it. Id say the teams at the top of league one are of a similar standard of the current St Mirren, Hamilton and Inverness teams.

So you value Porter at less than JP last January? We got 250K for Paterson, I'd take at the very least the same for Porter, but would be looking for around double that. His goal scoring record doesn't lie - just under 1 every 2 games is utterly tremendous and certainly worth around 500k.

No, the fact is Notts Forest offered £150k and he was on his way, but Calderwood (the pr1ck) got bumped.

Remember there is NO money out there, credit problems and times changing mean you have to be realistic. No-one is going to pay £500k like that for a guy out of contract at the end of the season at Motherwell. Get real.

Have to agree with Suprawell. If we can get any ££££ for Porter then we must take it now. It at least gives us the chance to do something constructive with the cash and maybe get a new face settled in the squad before next season, accepting the fact that this season is a write off!!!

I think that is the point of the posts. We would be well within our rights to ask for upwards of £300K if it's an English club coming in for him. If it's Hearts making a bid we should be asking for at least double that because he is only going to end up ruining our chances of getting back to 3rd or 4th again while he is banging them in for Hearts. No doubt he'll score a hat-trick against us everytime we played them and lastly, they are *banned word*.

For Porter? We would be fortunate to get the £150k that Forest were offering. Get a grip. I would bite your hand off for £150k for a guy who leaves for nothing in a few months.

Aye, but the point is... not from hearts

Have to agree with Suprawell. If we can get any ££££ for Porter then we must take it now. It at least gives us the chance to do something constructive with the cash and maybe get a new face settled in the squad before next season, accepting the fact that this season is a write off!!!

The money, just like that recouped from McDonald, Paterson, Foran, McFaddens sell on, would not get any new faces in, it would be used to balance the books.

Mon_da_well & Neil - balancing the books is no bad thing for a club our size and if we are serious about "Ravenscraig" then our finances better look good on paper. (not for this thread but the whole 'craig thing could see us back in administration if we're not careful).

If this was 12 months ago then I would agree that it would be better to have the goalscorer on the books but I just don't see us challenging for the 4th spot this season, so let McGhee get on with building his squad for next season - afterall, he forgot to do it for this season!!

Common sense though does say that I'd rather have no cash than sell him to H**rts and watch him become some badge kissing tosser do damage against us every time we see him back at FP.

Mon_da_well & Neil - balancing the books is no bad thing for a club our size and if we are serious about "Ravenscraig" then our finances better look good on paper. (not for this thread but the whole 'craig thing could see us back in administration if we're not careful).

The money we'd get from the land Fir Park is on would most likely be enough to build us 10 new 'Craig stadiums!

If this was 12 months ago then I would agree that it would be better to have the goalscorer on the books but I just don't see us challenging for the 4th spot this season, so let McGhee get on with building his squad for next season - afterall, he forgot to do it for this season!!

Common sense though does say that I'd rather have no cash than sell him to H**rts and watch him become some badge kissing tosser do damage against us every time we see him back at FP.

I would rather keep him and have a chance of 3rd or 4th than sell him and have none. Let's be honest, he's been the only well player (bar Sutton's first 5 games) who's even looked like scoring.

The money we'd get from the land Fir Park is on would most likely be enough to build us 10 new 'Craig stadiums!

Erm... naw.

But i agree with the sentiment, that unless an offer comes in from England, or a ridiculously large one from a Scottish team we should keep him for now.

Hmmm. The money that we get from selling the land goes to clear the £10m or so that John Boyle invested in the club. You really don't have a clue how the finances work for a club like ourselves.

We have to think seriously about getting out of Fir Park and into a new stadium and this will impact in part on the on-field transactions.

I very much doubt we will be challenging for European football this year. Let's focus on building for the future and the future ain't Chris Porter, which is fair enough.

Erm... naw.

But i agree with the sentiment, that unless an offer comes in from England, or a ridiculously large one from a Scottish team we should keep him for now.

I was exagerating obviously but it would easily pay for a new stadium. Look at St Mirren, they sold the land for Love Street and it paid for a new stadium and wiped out their debt. We don't have any debt so we'd be fine.

But that's a different topic all together :woop:

Agree he is the only bloke up front that even seems to know the general direction of the goals but as a squad we have serious issues in every area and work on all those problems needs to start in this transfer window.

As for Fir Park, it's worth nowhere near what you think as development land and probably half of what it was worth 3 years ago. The whole Ravenscraig development is going to introduce thousands of new homes and cheap land for business to move onto with the aim of creating as many new jobs as possible. All this on the door step of FP and over the next few years there is no demand for the sort of new development that would have seen us raise the maximum cash possible for a new stadium.

Out timing is just sh!te and IMHO i'd rather drop the whole craig idea until the world goes back to normal and concentrate on trying to put together a strong squad that we can retain and challenge for that 3rd/4th spot every season.