Chris Porter

Gaag

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF i knew this was going to happen once again an undervalue bid for a top class player.

I'm sick of seeing our club exploited in this way, if john boyle accepts this bid i'll be gutted.

If the rangers fans think that they deserve better they really don't have a clue, the money we've generated from selling our top players over the years is a pittance compared to what rangers get just because of there history and success.

In recent years clubs like hibs have acted wisely by signing youth players on long term contracts to profit in the future.

The sad thing is if we don't get money for porter now we definately won't in the summer as he will want success and trophies and we haven't seen a trophy since 91.

I believe we have a real shot at the scottish cup this year if we keep porter, surely boyle as a well fan must see that och well time will tell.

Porter's always struck me as an intelligent guy and I'm sure even if this Huddersfield offer is accepted, that he'll realise it's a step back down to where he came from. He's been attracting interest from bigger clubs, reportedly the top end of the Championship and I'm sure he'll recognise that he can get a better move if he waits for other offers.

On the plus side, if an offer has been received, and I stress the if, and he is on the radar of larger clubs in England then they may feel the need to put in a larger offer, depends how desperate they are for a goalscorer now. If we accept the money for a guy we got for free and who gave us 25 goals then good, if the money isn't right and he stays till the end of the season then that's fine too.

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that he won't end up at Tynecastle.

I continue to find it disheartening when an 'average' English Division One club can attract players from the SPL.

I regularly watch games in this league, and the standard is poor in comparison to the SPL, yet I would guess that the average wage at many of these club is in excess of anything that is on offer in Scotland outwith possibly 4-5 clubs.

Its also sobering to think that Huddersfield's average gate is possibly 2 or 3 times that of Motherwell, and I suspect that the average cost for an adult is around £20 to £25 per game just like Motherwell.

I'd hate to see Porter stuck down in Division One in England - too many ex SPL players are already in this league simply going through the motions and taking their cheque.

I think Porter is already too good for League One, and even if Huddersfield do go up this year, would suspect that Porter could attract a better offer for himself if he bides his time.

If he has ambition he will not go to Hearts at this time - He has a chance to really establish himself in English football potentially with a Championship level club and I think the opportunities that will bring will rule the Jambos out.

It might surprise you that Huddersfield is one of the biggest towns in the UK (excluding major cities) and they are one of the best run clubs in England. Seen them a few times when I worked in the area and they have a huge following with a stunning 24000 seater stadium which they share with a major Rugby team and generate major returns just on the stadium through other stuff as well. They will easily pay Porter more than Hearts can offer and whilst I would hate to see him disappear into League One, I'd prefer him there than still in Scotland.

Sort of highlights as well that without the old scum infecting our game the sort of support and crowds that clubs like Motherwell would be looking at.

I'll take the £200k. Our season has been lacklustre and we are deluded to think we could end up in Europe again. Porter has scored a few recently, however he has been rank in other games and I won't be crying when he leaves.

I would rather we focused on getting Sutton back on form, he leads the line better and I would love to see him get a partnership with Clarky back up and running.

To think we can hold out for £500k or £600k is madness, there simply isn't the money floating about in the market for a guy who is available for NOTHING in a few months.

I'll take the £200k. Our season has been lacklustre and we are deluded to think we could end up in Europe again. Porter has scored a few recently, however he has been rank in other games and I won't be crying when he leaves.

I would rather we focused on getting Sutton back on form, he leads the line better and I would love to see him get a partnership with Clarky back up and running.

To think we can hold out for £500k or £600k is madness, there simply isn't the money floating about in the market for a guy who is available for NOTHING in a few months.

I disagree entirely. I don't think Porter has been rank at all this season. McCormack leaving and Sutton coming in has meant we've had to look at a different system where Porter hasn't had the same role. As soon as Calrky came back and we had the 2 of them up front together, Porter's started scoring again. I don't think his "dry spell" can be blamed on his ability or effort, it's the lack of quality service that caused the issue.

Sutton, while a decent player is a different mould to Porter and not in the same class. Porter's a lot more mobile and much better on the ball than Sutton.

I don't think we'll get anywhere near 500-600K for him either but I've stated before and will again that I think Porter's goals will be much more valuable to us than a nominal transfer fee. If McGhee's serious about challenging for the top 6, we need to keep a hold of him until the end of the season as we are not likely to get someone of his ability again for a while.

On what basis does Sutton lead the line better? Even when Porter wasn't scoring, I'd say his work-rate and link-up play was better than that of Sutton. I do think that Sutton and Porter are similar type players and that Sutton will be able to replace Porter without any major change of tactic. I don't think any of us will be to upset when Porter leaves providing its to anyone apart from a Scottish club. At this moment in time I think it would be a bigger problem were we to lose Clarky out of all the strikers we've got.

I think £200,000 is a reasonable offer considering anyone can pick him up for nothing in a few months.

I don't think its an unreasonable offer, but it only equates to a few positions up the league in terms of our end of season reward, and Porters goals could well equate to more than that assuming that both he and Clarky stay fit.

I wonder if the Utd game may well have significance here - if we loose that one even McGhee admits that we have to give up on dillusions of grandeur this season

.......... if we loose that one even McGhee admits that we have to give up on dillusions of grandeur this season

I for one will never give up my dillusions of grandeur and still can't understand why Kaka is even thinking of signing for any other club - the boy must be soft in the head!

I don't think its an unreasonable offer, but it only equates to a few positions up the league in terms of our end of season reward, and Porters goals could well equate to more than that assuming that both he and Clarky stay fit.

I wonder if the Utd game may well have significance here - if we loose that one even McGhee admits that we have to give up on dillusions of grandeur this season

Its not as easy as saying its worth a couple of positions in the league because you would need to add on Porters salary and bonuses on top of this. Taking the cash the now would give us some money in the bank plus a freed wage in which to bring in someone else and given we've got Sutton to replace Porter then we could look to strengthen in other positions.

As you say it isn't an unreasonable offer but given that Porters a proven goalscorer, I'd be looking for a bit more before I'd let him go.

From Skysports

Hearts told to decide on Porter

McGhee not expecting to keep striker

Last updated: 16th January 2009

Chris-Porter-pa_1693422.jpg Porter: Possible Hearts target

Motherwell boss Mark McGhee has told Hearts counterpart Csaba Laszlo to make his mind up over Chris Porter.

Porter has been linked with a move away from Fir Park during the transfer window and Hearts are reportedly leading the chase.

Laszlo revealed earlier this month that he was pondering a move for the striker, although McGhee claims that when he later spoke to the Hearts manager he received a different answer.

McGhee has now urged Laszlo to make his intentions clear about whether he would like to sign the former Oldham hit-man.

McGhee told the Daily Record: "I had Csaba in my office after we beat Hearts 10 days ago and the first thing I asked him was 'Do you have any interest in Porter?'

"He smiled. He shrugged. He coughed. He spluttered. And then he told me he had no interest. Now the word is I'm supposed to expect a formal approach any moment.

"You expect players to be mentioned when the transfer window is open. Every club has to deal with this speculation, but there are ways of going about your business that are better than others."

Suspicion

McGhee expects Porter to leave Motherwell, either this winter or at the end of the season, and understands that Hearts are an attractive club.

However, McGhee feels Porter could also decide to return to English football.

He added: I'm not confident about holding on to Chris. He has an agreement with the club that lets him away.

"My suspicion is he would see his future down south.

"Meanwhile, I understand the attraction Hearts have to offer.

"They're a bigger club than Motherwell in the sense that they've got a larger fan base.

"I don't know if he wants to go now or in the future but it might be premature to think he could be away before the current window closes."

Take the 200000 and bring back Richie Foran :ph34r:

pick him up cheap as I believe he is not wanted at southend.

14 goals or something from left midfield in the MALPAS season!!!!

stick him in place of Porter and he will get about 20 goals at least.

I have to say id like to see Richie back at Fir Park. Think he could do a good job under Mark Mcghee.

I have to say id like to see Richie back at Fir Park. Think he could do a good job under Mark Mcghee.
I doubt it. Take away his penalites in his last season with us and he didn't contribute that much. Not terrible, but I don't think he would add anything to the current squad.