Chris Porter

Gaag

I was exagerating obviously but it would easily pay for a new stadium. Look at St Mirren, they sold the land for Love Street and it paid for a new stadium and wiped out their debt. We don't have any debt so we'd be fine.

But that's a different topic all together :woop:

St Mirren were lucky enough to tie that deal up almost 3 years ago and got top cash for Love Street and it's Tesco's that have taken the hit as the land is now worth a fraction of what they paid for it. Which is why they are looking at downsizing the size of the planned store and building more flats on the site as well to recoup some of that lost money. Would love to get a similiar deal for FP but with Asda down the road it just wont happen and no one is going to build us a new stadium in part exchange!!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to go off topic again here but as someone said a few months back, the land Motherwell College is on has been sold for housing and there is only one road in and out of it which is not enough. Fir Park would be used as a second entry/exit as well as housing.

Back on topic, we don't need the money.

Back on topic, we don't need the money.

But thats the point, we do need money otherwise I dont see how outside the trialists we are going to get new blood in..

Boyle is not going to bankroll new signings and we dont have much of value in the current squad to sell. Unless Rangers want fat Boab back lol.....

but the point is that even if we were to get £150k for porter. Do you honestly think that it would be allowed to be spent on transfers? Don't think so. We're not that kind of club anymore.

We are in the position we are today by making some good choices on players (some not so good) and being financially shrewd at the same time.

As long as Clarky stays fit, I reckon Porter's goals could well be worth 2-3 league positions to us. That would be a big chunk of the 150k reputedly on offer. If he was the difference between a top and bottom 6 finish, then the increased gate revenues etc would presumably make up the difference

I do not think we will find a Porter replacement that will immediately score goals, and we simply do not know (yet) if Sutton can step in with the same number of goals.

I'd keep Porter and his goals thankyou very much, and wish him good luck in the summer - assuming he heads South! I would not sell him mid season to another Scottish club unless trully ridiculous money was offered.

I would much rather keep a hold of Porter for the rest of the season before sending him on his way with a pat on the back and a "thanks very much". He's been top class since joining us and is destined for much bigger and better things. Without his ability up front I really think we would struggle (just look at this time last year when he was out for a few games) and it would be much better for our season if he hangs around.

I honestly think Porter's got too much ambition to sign for Hearts. He's done what he came here to do and is attracting interest from bigger clubs down south. Hearts are not in a position to do anything huge this season and I certainly don't think they can offer him anything more from a football point of view than we did last year. The only step up would be the cash.

He'll get a decent move down south, hopefully at the end of the season and we can look at moving on with the squad and rebuilding using the wages his departure will free up.

EDIT: There's an interview on the beeb with McGhee regarding Ports: BBC

Fat Tony - thanks for the link and IMHO didn't McGhee sound quite positive and upfront in that interview and open that the Utd game is all or nothing if we are to seriously challenge for 3rd/4th place.

Back on topic, the interview also confirmed for me that we will not be spending ANY money in the transfer window except for the trialists and maybe a loan or two if it comes off. If thats the case I'd maybe change my mind and keep Porter and worry about next season next season!!

Fat Tony - thanks for the link and IMHO didn't McGhee sound quite positive and upfront in that interview and open that the Utd game is all or nothing if we are to seriously challenge for 3rd/4th place.

Back on topic, the interview also confirmed for me that we will not be spending ANY money in the transfer window except for the trialists and maybe a loan or two if it comes off. If thats the case I'd maybe change my mind and keep Porter and worry about next season next season!!

My thoughts exactly. It certainly sounds like we can't afford to buy and in that case I really think it's important that we keep hold of our best players at least until the end of the season when we can take stock and build for next year. We categorically will not get somebody of Porter's quality so I believe we need to make use of him while we can and get the most out of our investment.

I think you are all nuts wanting to get shot of the big man for £150k. BBC news reported last night that Forfar are going to make £120k minimum for their cup tie with rangers......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/7828882.stm

If we keep Porter and get through a few rounds in that tournament, we will easily make more £ than we would selling him now for a pityfull fee.

Im not convinced that Chris Porter won't still be here next season.

... I think I get you. Too many negatives! I think he might give us another season. No real reason, just unstoppable optimism on my part.

i hope we tell hearts to get tae fuck if they come in for ports albeit i dont think hed want to go to hearts anyway.hes coming into form again so i hope we keep him until the end of the season.if a bid of 250k came in then id be tempted to sell him now or try and get him to sign on for another season

I said this earlier in the thread, but it's worth saying again. Any club that gets involved in a business transaction with the current Hearts administration needs their collective heads examined. Hearts are in no financial position to pay any transfer fees (or worse, transfer fee installments) sell-on clauses or even win bonuses.

If we do sell, it should be to someone a bit more stable.

For Porter? We would be fortunate to get the £150k that Forest were offering. Get a grip. I would bite your hand off for £150k for a guy who leaves for nothing in a few months.

Settle down sweetie, The guy is spot on, as soon as it is yer Rivals the price goes up. Especially when it is HEarts who spend 600K on eastern european shite every window!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ris-Porter.html

Mark McGhee tells Csaba Laszlo to put up or shut up over Chris Porter

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee has criticised his Hearts counterpart, Csaba Laszlo, for his public wooing of the striker, Chris Porter.

Porter, 25, is out of contract at Fir Park at the end of this season and is therefore free to speak to any interested parties.

However, while Laszlo has repeatedly stated that he is a player he would like to sign before the transfer window closes on Feb 2, Hearts have not contacted Motherwell or Porter to conduct negotiations.

"I asked the manager, when he came into my office after our game here last week, whether he had an interest in signing Chris Porter. It was the first thing I asked him.

"He smiled and shrugged and coughed and spluttered but never gave me a direct answer so I assumed from that that he had no interest.

"I know that good players are going to be mentioned in dispatches during a transfer window but I still think that this isn't right. I told him to put his money where his mouth is."

McGhee refused to rule out a switch to Tynecastle for the player but believes that the Lancastrian would prefer a return to England, with Sheffield United having had him watched on several occasions recently.

"Now, I can't say that Chris doesn't want to go to Hearts: we haven't had that conversation with him because Hearts haven't been in touch so that would be premature," said McGhee.

"However, I suspect that Chris will see his future south of the border. I can understand the attraction of bigger clubs for players and Hearts are a bigger club than us: the crowds they get at every home game alone justifies me saying that.

"So I wouldn't be critical of Chris if he went there but I don't think he will. If someone comes in with a decent offer for Chris then we will discuss it with him.

"That is the agreement we have had with him since the day he came here and Chris will have a say in anything that might happen.

"At this point, though, no one has made any approach for him but, until the window closes, this sort of thing will go on. I'm just counting down the days.

"If this [speculation] is having an effect on Chris, though, it's a positive one. I'd like to think that his recent form is a result of the likes of Paul Quinn, Stephen Craigan, Stephen Hughes and David Clarkson returning to fitness but it's also coincided with the window opening."

Porter will have another chance to impress watching scouts on Sunday, when Motherwell travel to Tannadice to take on third-placed Dundee United. There are currently 14 points between the clubs but McGhee hasn't yet abandoned hope of overhauling Craig Levein's team.

"I said at the start of the season that they'd strengthened their squad but that I didn't think they'd strengthened their team and I've regretted saying that ever since," he said.

"When they drew 3-3 with Rangers at Ibrox a few months ago it was the best performance I've seen from any side outwith the Old Firm. Then again, when we drew 2-2 with United we gave them a doing so I've yet to be convinced that they're better than us.

"We believe that if we beat them this weekend then maybe we can still catch them. However, if they beat us then I'll wave them into the distance and happily shake the big man's hand afterwards."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...ell/7813849.stm

League One side Huddersfield Town have made a £200,000 bid to sign Motherwell striker Chris Porter.

The Terriers, who sit ninth in the table, are keen to have the Englishman on board before the weekend.

Hearts have also made contact with Motherwell with a view to signing Porter in the summer.

The 25-year-old, who has scored eight goals this season, is out of contract at the end of the season and is free to open contract talks with other clubs.

Porter, who arrived at Fir Park from Oldham Athletic in 2007, is Motherwell's leading scorer and netted 18 times during the previous campaign.

Prior to Hearts' 1-0 defeat to Well this month in which Porter scored the winning goal, Tynecastle manager Csaba Laszlo admitted his admiration for the player but stressed the forward was just one of several targets.

£200,000 is £200,000 more than we got him for. However, I'd be looking for at least two-and-a-half times that before letting go. If you are happy here, then please let us know what it would take to for you to stay, Ports.