Well Record A Loss

one_luc_nijholt

104th AGM called | Print | E-mail Thursday, 01 April 2010

Club Statement

The club yesterday wrote to all shareholders, calling the 104th AGM to take place on Monday 19th April, with news that the audited accounts show a £703,391 loss for the year ending 31 May 2009.

This is the first loss the club has endured in six years and was caused, primarily, by the demise of Setanta which considerably reduced the anticipated TV revenue, unbudgeted pitch repairs and the failure to reach the top six in the Scottish Premier League.

Commenting, Chairman John Boyle said, “Following this loss, the club took decisive action and I am pleased to confirm that Motherwell Football Club will return to profit for the financial year ending 31 May 2010.

“The club is fortunate to be one of the few in the SPL with no bank debt which enhances our financial position.”

Elsewhere, the club are also delighted to announce the appointment of three new directors to the club board. Leeann Dempster has been promoted from her role as General Manager to Chief Executive.

Furthermore, Andrew Wilson and Derek Weir have joined as Non-Executive Directors. Both are lifelong Motherwell fans having been season ticket holds for more than 25 years and 35 years respectively.

Andrew is currently Head of Group Corporate Affairs for RBS. Prior to this, he was Deputy Chief Economist for the bank and also a member of the first Scottish Parliament for Central Scotland.

Derek has vast experience in the finance sector and, until recently, was the Managing Director for Barclays Bank for Scotland and Ireland. Prior to this, Derek was Head of the Commercial Division of RBS.

“Andrew will bring a wealth of experience and I look forward to him actively assisting us in improving our communications and developing stronger relationships with our fans,“ said Mr Boyle.

“Derek will bring a vast financial experience to the board and his input will be important given the current financial issues facing the Scottish Football industry.

“These appointments strengthen the Board at a time when we enter a crucial period for the Club in particular and Scottish Football in general.”

However, standing down from the board will be Martin Rose. Martin served the club for almost seven years where he made a considerable contribution, particularly in the area of safety and disability access through his involvement in the Motherwell Supporters Trust.

Everyone at Motherwell Football Club would like to thank him for his efforts over these years.

Well we will certainly be Profit to May 2010.

Add into account

*Small Euro run

*Clarkson fee

*Quinn fee

*Hughes/Porter/Malcolm/Klimpl etc off wage bill

*Top 6 meaning increased prize money.

*The 4th home game against old firm this season.

It will be interesting to see the profits next year! Given we built a team on frees and lower wages that was probably not expected to make the top 6 at the start of the season.

I would imagine we have made the absolute best of a reasonably bad situation.

Well we will certainly be Profit to May 2010.

Add into account

*Small Euro run

*Clarkson fee

*Quinn fee

*Hughes/Porter/Malcolm/Klimpl etc off wage bill

*Top 6 meaning increased prize money.

*The 4th home game against old firm this season.

Remember you've probably got the pitch expenses to add into this. So I doubt it'll be a huge profit.

Remember you've probably got the pitch expenses to add into this. So I doubt it'll be a huge profit.
This is the first loss the club has endured in six years and was caused, primarily, by the demise of Setanta which considerably reduced the anticipated TV revenue, unbudgeted pitch repairs and the failure to reach the top six in the Scottish Premier League.

I'd suspect compensation from Aberdeen for the release of McGhee would cover most if not all costs incurred.

Not overly concerned, as we are told of a return to profit this current financial year. Unlike he'd have you believe, Mr McGhee was given everything he asked for at Motherwell to the detriment of the balance sheet... his raised salary no doubt adding to our overspend. Alarmed, yes, that the current custodians perhaps returned to old ways chasing an impossible dream. Again, lessons learned, I'd rather we perform on and off pitch as has been viewed/reported this season.

Loads of top flight clubs would welcome this position. Onwards and Upwards

Onthefringes - Would those pitch repairs not cover the period where we had to relay the East / South Stand corner the previous year? The pitch replacement from last summer will no doubt be covered in next years budget. As you said the McGhee money will cover it but all to often on here I see posts like the one I quoted in which someone lists X,Y and Z pieces of income and assumes that we'll make a large profit when the truth is any profit we make will be very modest.

104th AGM called | Print | E-mail Thursday, 01 April 2010

Club Statement

The club yesterday wrote to all shareholders, calling the 104th AGM to take place on Monday 19th April, with news that the audited accounts show a £703,391 loss for the year ending 31 May 2009.

Commenting, Chairman John Boyle said, “Following this loss, the club took decisive action and I am pleased to confirm that Motherwell Football Club will return to profit for the financial year ending 31 May 2010.

“The club is fortunate to be one of the few in the SPL with no bank debt which enhances our financial position.”

First of all we lost £700,000. If what was reported at the time about the deal was true £500,000 of that would be from the Setanta deal and £200,000 from other factors although I don't believe we actually budget for a Top 6 finish and if we do, we shouldn't.

Mmmm, so why would a £4M-ish turnover business with no debt need the "expertise" of a pair of bankers, one with a strong PR and politics background? Because obviously RBS folk know all about running a successful profitable business :D Or perchance Mr Boyle has imminent future plans involving incurring debt such as building a new stadium?

Mind you, if you can attempt to positively spin RBS Corporate Affairs, if the pitch f**ks up again next winter, we're covered.

Congratulations are due to Leeann Dempster.

the club are also delighted to announce the appointment of three new directors to the club board. Leeann Dempster has been promoted from her role as General Manager to Chief Executive.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/index.php?op...&Itemid=133

She has in my opinion made a difference particularly in communicating with the fans hope she continues to do so.

Well done Leeann :)

Anyone know who I would be best to get in touch with a proposal of a commercial nature at Motherwell? Our business has some good innovative products that would certainly add revenue to the club and give us something that I believe no SPL Club would have..................

Anyone know who I would be best to get in touch with a proposal of a commercial nature at Motherwell? Our business has some good innovative products that would certainly add revenue to the club and give us something that I believe no SPL Club would have..................

Is it one of those condom machines with the blow up sheep in it? Ear muffs? Either way, the club's phone number is on the website.