Players Re-signing ?

yosemite sam

great to see us trying to retain as many players on new contracts as we can.hopefully jennings and hateley will be next as both have been outstanding for much of the season.with these new deals plus the fact we have a couple of players on trial its good to see broonys puttin the work in and planning for next season already

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see Jennings and Hateley signing but I'm not so sure about O'Brien. Hateley has had a fantastic season, as has Jennings, but definitely with Hateley we plucked him from obscurity so I can see him staying another season to let his stock rise. As much as I rate Jim O'Brien, I reckon if a big club came calling he'd be off in a shot, I definitely hope not, he is as creative as our players get and I think another season or two where he is would greatly benefit him! As with Coke, he is definitely a useful member of the squad but his form has been very erratic since about October.

A big club like Aberdeen or Barnsley?

I didnt realise Barnsley were a championship side. I guess the could pay more.

I just dont see Barnsley as a good career move. They arent particularly competitive. No chance of getting into Europe. JOB is better off here in the long-run and I'm confident he knows it. He has only really had one season of playing consistently, he needs to stay.

I just dont see Barnsley as a good career move. They arent particularly competitive. No chance of getting into Europe. JOB is better off here in the long-run and I'm confident he knows it. He has only really had one season of playing consistently, he needs to stay.

Do you think a player would risk taking lower wages for the forseeable future with the chance of a form dip, Motherwell's league position being shit or even an injury or take a healthy pay increase and play in a better supported league immediately?

No brainer fella

As much as i agree that it's great news that hammell, lasley and craigan have resigned they are also 3 players that werent exactly over any other clubs radar to tempt them away from fir park.

Give me o brien hately the juke or ruddy then thats a result these boys were always going to stay.

cmon brown make a difficult signing!!!!

I agree with that, but I'm still very pleased they have signed.

Firstly, they have Adam Hammill on there books, whom many on here have creamed themselves over for the past couple of seasons (since his stint with the Pars) for a loan deal when he was contracted to Liverpool.

Secondly, aren't that competitive? Well, for most of the season they have lumbered just shy of mid-table, and with one big push could have been thereabouts for the Play-offs (similar to Blackpool).

Thirdly, no chance of getting to Europe? Well, 2yrs ago, they were 90mins away from participating in an FA Cup Final - with a realistic chance of beating a decent Pompey side in the Final, which in turn would have resulted in European football.

Barnsley are a far bigger club than ourselves in support, finance etc.

We are on par with Leyton Orient and similar sized clubs towards League 1/2, and that's where we have to compete with.

So, aye O'Brien should be off like a shot - given the opportunity.

We are on par with Leyton Orient

Not disagreeing with your post - but suspect that you are possibly ambitious if you think Motherwell have the spending power ie wage budget of Orient. I suspect that players like Scott McGleish would be out of our reach (yes, I know how old he is). There are more than a handful of players in the lower reaches of League One who earn in excess of 4k/week!

Suspect the truth of the matter is that Scottish clubs are beginning to target League two and non -league clubs for young and talented players, pretty much in the same way that Championship and League One clubs are looking to plunder the SPL for talented youngsters etc.

Promising stuff from Hateley on the website:

“I’m really enjoying my football at the moment.” He said, “I’m only 20 and I wanted to come to Motherwell and play games and progress as a player, and that’s what this club has given me the chance to do. I can’t thank them enough, and I certainly would never say no to staying here.

“The gaffer has said for a few months now that he wants to get everybody signed up because we have got quite a few players out of contract. A couple more have now put pen to paper and that is good for the club – especially as Lasley and Craigan are players that have been here for ages. So everyone at the club is happy about it.

“My contract expires this summer. We are just talking at the moment, and the gaffer has told me just to concentrate on playing. I’m happy to do that because I just want to be getting minutes on the pitch then hopefully we can get something sorted.”

Teckle. Jennings seems keen and hopefully get Coke signed up, JO'B I imagine is away.

Just had a text message read out by Tam Cowan to John Boyle on Off the Ball. Boyle had stated the lack of an OF home match after the split has had a "catastrophic" effect on Motherwell and instead of making a profit for this year we will now operate at a loss. My message concerned the effect this would have on contract negotiations with Hateley and Jennings or whether the near certain sale of Reynolds would take care of everything. Obviously, I got no joy with regards to the Reynolds part but he did admit that what has happened WILL have an effect on contracts and there is a board meeting set for Monday to discuss this.

Ultimately, the SPL might have done us a bit more than we originally thought.

Just had a text message read out by Tam Cowan to John Boyle on Off the Ball. Boyle had stated the lack of an OF home match after the split has had a "catastrophic" effect on Motherwell and instead of making a profit for this year we will now operate at a loss. My message concerned the effect this would have on contract negotiations with Hateley and Jennings or whether the near certain sale of Reynolds would take care of everything. Obviously, I got no joy with regards to the Reynolds part but he did admit that what has happened WILL have an effect on contracts and there is a board meeting set for Monday to discuss this.

Ultimately, the SPL might have done us a bit more than we originally thought.

I don't think a home match with Celtic would have attracted a huge crowd but even so it would have probably brought in £100,000 - £130,000.

Enough for a couple of players contracts.

I don't think a home match with Celtic would have attracted a huge crowd but even so it would have probably brought in £100,000 - £130,000.

Enough for a couple of players contracts.

Boyle himself estimated it at a loss of around £125,000. Massive amount of money for us.

I can see Hately, job and maybe even giles waiting on the outcome of our season before they commit to anything.

I have said this on another thread but Coke is a complete imposter of a player. Stupid tippy tappy touches that go no-where, slow in the turn, half arsed tackles and awful shooting.

I seriously hope his wages are used elsewhere.

"There are few better places to learn your trade than Fir Park and under Craig Brown and Archie Knox; hopefully I will continue my development.”

What a cracking statement by the young man. Wish more players had the same attitude. Absolutely delighted. :lol:

So at present its:

Craigan

Lasley

Hammell

Saunders

Duke says he would like to stay, but SPL fixture farce potentially killed that off.

I thought Jack and Vic said they'd be a whole raft of news in the weeks ahead and then Hammell was the only news on this for a long time.

According to the BBC Gossip page, the Daily Record are reporting that Tom Hateley will knock back the offer of a contract unless the pitch is sorted out for next season.

Full story here, including an interview with Broon, more about the "Sand Siro", and an amusing Andy Russell story...

Clicky