Craggs Testimonial Game

fatcalf

First time I've seen the team this season, pretty poor game overall but glad that Craigan got a few quid. Speaks volumes for the guy that he wasn't looking for a glamour or bigger game (NI select or something like that) but chose to celebrate it with the teams that he has played most of his career with. Nice to see a decent Thistle support and a few NI fans who had also made the effort to come to this game. Top man and top professional, hats off to you SC.

Law stood out, head and shoulders above anyone else on the park IMO he was excellent, always looking for the ball doing good things when he had it nice passing good touch and nearly scored a belter after an excellent cut in from the left wing. Long may it continue.

Thought Hammell and Hateley had really good games as well. Obviously Law looks like he coukd be a star. Higdon still finding his way in the team by the looks of it. Good penalty from Crags but I expect our number 9 to be hitting them when the pressure is on.

Am i the only one who thought hateley's crosses were poor last night and Humphrey's were good with one or two exceptions each? He was also wearing strapping on his thighs, so could that affect them?

Thought it was a good game last night. Law is a Hell of a player and certainly has big future ahead of him. Some of his passes were amazing. Never a dive from Murphy for the pen and a well taken pen by Craigan. Both Murphy and Humphrey were unlucky not to score in the second half.

My little brothers first ever game and needless to say he loved it!!!

No after that one against Accies last season. Gie the big guy his chance. I take it he hit them for St Mirren?

I think he had a pretty good record from the spot with them, imo it makes more sense to let forwards take pens anyway so i'd go with Higdon.

Still last night was only a friendly, and Leeds Sat should prove the acid test, not a great match to watch last night but never the less some much needed game time for all the players involved, lets not start with the early slagging off of players... just put it down to Pre Season warm up matches, The score could of and should of been much more. Goals will come along with creativity and in turn the quality of all the football on show will improve from everyone not just one or two of them. Chin up, 3 games 3 wins. Next

Still last night was only a friendly, and Leeds Sat should prove the acid test,

Leeds Saturday is also a friendly and will not prove anything except the fact that the players will be looking to avoid injury before the season kicks-off. If you are expecting a full-blown, blood and guts encounter, you'll be disappointed.

Leeds Saturday is also a friendly and will not prove anything except the fact that the players will be looking to avoid injury before the season kicks-off. If you are expecting a full-blown, blood and guts encounter, you'll be disappointed.

I think you might be suprised Weeyin, it might not prove anything to you but believe me the players will want to be selected for the first game of the season the following week! You might actually see some fight abeit be it at 90%

I think you might be suprised Weeyin, it might not prove anything to you but believe me the players will want to be selected for the first game of the season the following week! You might actually see some fight abeit be it at 90%

I'll be very surprised if there is any more effort exerted than during the last few weeks of the season before the Cup Final.

• Like 1

Exactly. Regardless of opposition it is no more than a meaningless friendly. I'm pretty sure McCall knows his starting 11 for the 23rd and barring injury on Sat, that won't change no matter the realiatic outcome against Leeds.

Exactly. Regardless of opposition it is no more than a meaningless friendly. I'm pretty sure McCall knows his starting 11 for the 23rd and barring injury on Sat, that won't change no matter the realiatic outcome against Leeds.

No such thing as a meaningless friendly, and i agree McCall most prob does know his best eleven, but against Leeds he will have a better idea of where Motherwell Football club First Team actually sit as regards

the ability to compete at that level. Strongly disagree with Meaningless Friendly one liner! If it was meaningless we would not be discussing it.

That level? Admittedly it will be good for fitness and the likes of Law settling in further. Maybe even the chance to see how a couple of the younger lads perform at Fir Park. However, in the grand scheme of things the result doesn't matter a jot and the players will play with one eye on the big kick off the following Saturday. As they should.

Wouldn't say it was a "meaningless friendly". Last night was a nice wee test of fitness for both sides and on Saturday it will be another, albeit tougher, test against a much higher standard of opposition.

Dazzer ^^^^^^^^^^Takes his hat off to the lad.... well said that man, my point exactly.

So we agree then. It's not an "acid test" or a chance to see how the "team competes at that level".

It is, in fact, as I have been saying all along, nothing more than a chance for the players to get some more match fitness under their belts. As a footballing contest, however, it remains meaningless.

Yes i am sure they will give it there all

No they won't. They aren't going to tackle too hard, perform any last-ditch heroics, risk life and limb to prevent a goal, chase lost causes or bust a gut to eke out a result. That's the difference between a competitive match and a meaningless friendly.

Its still not meaningless. Its just non-competitive, That doesn't make it meaningless. It makes it NON-COMPETITIVE.

It's meaningless by Dazzer's original claims. It's only as meaningful as any other training session (such as our game against Falkirk today that I haven't even seen mentioned on here - or is it tomorrow?).

EDIT: looks like the Falkirk game is today

“On Saturday, we will try and give the lads 90 minutes again. The lads who didn’t play last night have a game against Falkirk today so they will get 90 minutes under their belt. That is what we aim to do.”