Jim O'Brien

Kylie

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jennings and Hateley are our most creative players. They create the sapce for O'Brien to flap about in the wind.

Mind you I like the guy. He is at least entertaining in a SPL full of 'effective' midfielders and 'strong' forwards.

Get them all to fuck and show me some flair.

A player who's a master of the art of looking like he's playing well, without actually contributing very much. Ross McCormack without the goals, awareness or physical strength.

Something in that Al. I'd go so far as to say he's like Ross MacCormack. In the 2nd half of his last season with us he looked tremendous - the Hearts Cup game at Tynecastle anyone? By far the most eyecatching player on the pitch. But...when you looked at his performance objectively he hadn't actually done anything.

Likewise Jim O'Brien is easy to admire but all too often you have to ask what he's actually achieved.

Semmingly he has signed a 3 year deal with Barnsley anyone heard???

It's all over our boards and that. I'm awaiting a text off my gf to confirm it!

I'll be sad to see him leave Motherwell, it'll be good to see what he can do for us though.

I'll have to keep you updated on his performances down at Oakwell if he does sign.

Jim has worked hard at Motherwell to get a bigger move and his performances this season have earned his move, good luck to him if he has signed for Barnsley, there is no doubt Barnsley are a bigger club than ours and i wish him all the best, look forward to see him playing for Scotland soon too.

Cheers Jimbo for giving 100% every game and puting in some fine performances.

Jim has worked hard at Motherwell to get a bigger move and his performances this season have earned his move, good luck to him if he has signed for Barnsley, there is no doubt Barnsley are a bigger club than ours and i wish him all the best, look forward to see him playing for Scotland soon too.

Cheers Jimbo for giving 100% every game and puting in some fine performances.

There seems to be a fairly even split between those who rate him and those that think he promises more than he delivers. Me - I think he is a decent player who we will miss. Admittedly ther have been times where he has flattered to deceive, but there also have been times where he has been the sole creative force and he has won us quite a few points this season.

I would rather he stayed, but lets be honest, the only reason he is going to Barnsley is for the Wonga. Nothing against Barnsley, sure they get bigger crowds - who doesn't, but he will disappear off the radar fairly quickly - well at least up here where it matters - to me :lol: .

That said I wish him well and hope he puts in a couple of decent performances b4 he goes.

Apparently he hasn't signed anything as of yet : Clicky

Flying winger Jim O’Brien insists his only focus just now is helping Motherwell qualify for Europe for the third successive season.

JOBReports in one of today’s tabloids suggested that the former Celtic and Dundee United man had actually signed for Championship side Barnsley.

However, O’Brien, speaking exclusively to motherwellfc.co.uk, has confirmed that he hasn’t put pen to paper on anything and is concentrating on helping ‘Well through three massive games.

“Reports in today’s papers are somewhat premature; I haven’t signed anything.

“I have been down this week, on our day off, to speak with Mark Robins and to see the place at Barnsley and it has all been very positive. But, nothing has been finalised. I have had chats with other clubs since the turn of the year so nothing changes whatsoever.

“Whilst I am a Motherwell player, my 100% focus is doing my best for the team, the supporters and the manager. Every player in the dressing room knows what we have to do and that has my undivided attention.”

The Steelmen face a tricky trip to the East End of Glasgow to take on a Celtic side rejuvenated since Neil Lennon took up the reigns.

The teams met a few weeks ago with the Steelmen unlucky to run out 2-1 losers despite taking the lead through a Mark Reynolds goal.

O’Brien, a former Celtic player, knows how tough tomorrow will be but reckons the side are travelling along the M74 in confident mood.

He said: “Going to Parkhead or Ibrox is always tough, no matter how the Old Firm are playing. The fact that Celtic have won the last five league games doesn’t make it any easier, that’s for sure.”

“In saying that, we done well at Tynecastle last weekend and will be looking to try and pick something up. Obviously, the fourth spot is still up for grabs and that could lead to European football for the club next season. That’s big and whilst that carrot is still there, we’ll be doing everything in our power to take as many points from the last three games as possible.”

I would rather he stayed, but lets be honest, the only reason he is going to Barnsley is for the Wonga. Nothing against Barnsley, sure they get bigger crowds - who doesn't, ........

My thoughts too Mr A. Sure in a one-too-one comparison Barnsley are a bigger club than MFC, and will no doubt be able to pay a far higher wage. However, in real terms once more the SPL and possibly featuring in Europe has lost out to the English Championship, and for MFC and the game in Scotland that is not good IMHO.

Best of luck to him though, and Barnsley. ;)

I'm glad we've got him but I'm also sad to see him leave Fir Park. I hope you replace him with someone just as good or better :nod:

I'll certainly let you know how he's doing down at Oakwell and how our fans are taking to him, etc.

This calls for a free BFC shirt now!

He's under 23 so we and Celtic will recieve a development fee.

We should get an absolute fortune then. He was going nowhere until he came to Fir Park!

Anyway, good luck down South and how's about a superb going-away present on Sunday Jim?

can't understand some folks negativity towards jom. Always gives everything, even when not going well for him on the pitch. Opposition always double up on him since he is dangerous, theoretically giving us more space elsewhere on the pitch. I think will be extremely difficult to replace. No doubt should play sunday.

Completely gutted, really don't see what barnsley can do to help his career, really hope he doesnt become a flop down there though. GOOD LUCK JIM!!!

Without wanting to get into the whole argument about the standard of SPL/Championship but in my opinion, which you may see as biased, the Championship has a higher level of competition than the SPL and boasts some very strong teams, 90% of the teams have better finances and facilities than a lot of SPL clubs so with a push in the right direction I can see us)Barnsley) helping his career at the same time he can help us achieve our goal of finishing midtable/nearer the play offs.

As I said, that is entirely my opinion and I hope it does not come across in anyway disrespectful.