Motherwell Vs Hibernian

LadywellToi

Hugh McDonald's article in the Herald today (clicky) summed it all up quite nicely: "Motherwell celebrated as if they had walked away from a serious car crash."

I actually think that quote is more profound than he meant it to be! A huge part of the madness celebrations was dwon to the fact that we were so utterly ashamed of ourselves on live TV - got humped rotten - beat - battered and then made up for it by being utterly brilliant in the same game!!

This was miracle stuff - the stuff you dream about in yer head when we are getting beat like that and don't even tell yer pals next to you what you are thinking!!

This game - more than any other, Cup Finals, Euro games EVEN 'Skippy Sunday' has put Motherwell F.C. on the map. The You Tube videos will go viral - if 200,000 (for a Motherwell FC Video) isn't already.

This is world-wide stuff. Sports fans from EVERYWHERE love a story like this - 6-6 in a game of football would be enough, Any 4-goal comeback would be enough, coming back from 6-2 down would be enough - to do it with the best goal in Britain this year would be enough - and to to that in 93 minutes - WTF!!!!

This is mental!!

Motherwell F.C. - I can't get enough!!!

Watching it just now whilst putting it onto DVD as well. Forgot all about this stunning comeback as well from my other team..........

QPR

I know, boring by comparison! They were also 4-0 down away to Port Vale with about 20 minutes to go once and a late, late goal from a certain John Spencer salvaged a 4-4 draw. Indeed, with just over 5 minutes left, QPR trailed 1-4....

Goals: Glover (24) 1-0; Mills (35) 2-0; Jansson (41) 3-0; Brazier (og 45) 4-0; Holwyn (og 66) 4-1; Impey (85) 4-2; Murray (88) 4-3; Spencer (90) 4-4.

i don't agree that it was a shameful performance.

we were diabolical at the back but we played well from 15 to 90 and played some right good fitba. i was pissed off at the time and watching it back you can see where we fucked but we still played a lot of right good fitba thorughout the game. we'v played much, much worse this season.

I know, boring by comparison! They were also 4-0 down away to Port Vale with about 20 minutes to go once and a late, late goal from a certain John Spencer salvaged a 4-4 draw. Indeed, with just over 5 minutes left, QPR trailed 1-4....

Goals: Glover (24) 1-0; Mills (35) 2-0; Jansson (41) 3-0; Brazier (og 45) 4-0; Holwyn (og 66) 4-1; Impey (85) 4-2; Murray (88) 4-3; Spencer (90) 4-4.

Was at Loftus road Nov 1986 (Plastic pitch) when Liverpool won 3/4-1 when I was on the way home (lived down soufth) at sheperds bush green found out we beat the h**s 1-0 at Greyskull ???? Who scored ???

That would be a certain Ray Farningham. The goal that emptied Greyskull in 30 seconds flat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just finished watching Wednesday's game. To be completely honest, we played a lot of very good football and just forgot to defend half-a-dozen times. But a lot of very good football inbetween.

That would be a certain Ray Farningham. The goal that emptied Greyskull in 30 seconds flat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just finished watching Wednesday's game. To be completely honest, we played a lot of very good football and just forgot to defend half-a-dozen times. But a lot of very good football inbetween.

Lived in West Londonshire 86-94 watched QPR,FFC,Brentford and mainly CFC (before the millions Rougvive,Dixon,Nevin,McCallister etc etc).......home for few games missed out 0n 93-94 season how close we really came !!!!!!!

But made the cup final :cheers:

Started filming this while the players were just making their way back to their own half following the celebrations. The observant amongst you will notice that the last video was taken from the back stand and this from the front... :cheers: Also a cameo from the steward you picked up my phone after I dropped it!!

Brilliant man.

Love Craggs just standing in the centre spot at full-time just standing in disbelief as everyone else heads off.

Also, just before the final whistle (about 1.30 in) who is it that says "I'll take a point"? :lol::O:D

the sunday herald journalist ian bell is a pretentious arsehole. he is a total scrotum who for some reason is allowed to moralise in riddles in the news and sport every weekend. he is also a hibs fan :O

How old do you have to be before 6-6 no longer counts as a thrill-a-minute classic?

At what age do you put aside childish things – the Roy of the Rovers plots, the programme collection, the pie habit – and realise that surrendering a 6-2 lead is the very definition of farce? About eight, at a guess.

In such circumstances, when the league table says two teams are evenly-matched, the side who give away six with startling, repetitive ineptitude in barely an hour have a problem, possibly of the psychiatric variety. But when their opponents decide to go toe to stubbed toe for the uselessness title, the gods are giggling.

Wednesday night’s game between Motherwell and Hibs made all the London TV news broadcasts. This wasn’t because there was an outbreak of appreciation for the grace, flair, tenacity and daring suddenly on display in the SPL. There was no applause for a “feast of goals”. The sub-text was almost audible.

It said: Scottish football, eh? What a freak show. As risible as a Sunday pub tie with 22 hangovers on display, as 
comical as a playground kick-around. What a laugh.

Who could deny it? Absurdity was piled on absurdity at Fir Park. A 6-6 result is not beyond the bounds of probability in any league. Free-scoring sides and their abject victims – recent Chelsea victories spring to mind – are hardly unknown. But this game, an important one, was of a wholly different order of daft.

Colin Nish got a hat-trick for Hibs in the first half: in the real world, that’s game. East Edinburgh’s finest then deployed their certified talents, Anthony Stokes and Derek Riordan, to cast a cloud over Craig Brown’s Indian summer. As most reports would record, Hibs were “coasting” with six goals in the bag and 65 minutes gone.

Motherwell’s defence seemed to be encountering the simplest attacking move in the game – the ball rolled across the box, at no great pace – for the first time. They would have coped better with a quiz on applied mathematics. Yet Hibs, with customary generosity, had allowed these hapless opponents a couple in return, even as the home fans voted with their feet. Still, no one comes back from that.

In this joke, even the punch-lines had supplementary punch-lines. Not only did Hibs concede a draw, they might actually have lost had Ross Forbes converted a penalty. As it was, purists – should any of those rare beasts have remained at the death – would probably have granted Motherwell the moral victory, if only because of Lukas 
Jutkiewicz’s exquisite equaliser.

So what, class, does all of this tell us? First, the hot news is that John Hughes commands a squad likely to score, as often as not.

Secondly, Brown has forged in short order a side who most weeks produce an approximation of entertaining football. Last week, both facts became irrelevant. A truism died with them.

What’s the point of football? It’s about scoring goals, obviously.

But anyone who spent childhood winter nights on those umpteen-a-side, five-hour, fog-shrouded bounce games knows better. “What’s the score,” someone would cry. “Er, 19-17?” Until some eight-year-old accepts that defence also matters, the sport is pointless.

Professionals – people who accept money for public entertainment – know these things, and lots more besides. They have “systems”, routines, formations,
coaches with cunning plans and tactical schemes. They train and they rehearse until football – so the theory goes – is as subtle and complex as a game of chess. Then they turn up at Fir Park on a Wednesday in May.

After the game, Hughes was reported, hilariously, as having “mixed emotions”. Which would those be? Shame mixed with cringing embarrassment? Brown said he was “very pleased” with the response of his players – after they emerged from their comas, presumably – but denounced some of their defending as “criminal”. Did he mean a breach of the peace, or was he talking about the obscenity laws?

In his time as Scotland coach, Brown would often deliver a public lecture on the lack of talent available to the national team. Like a recessive gene, common ability had disappeared, by his account, and there was nothing much to be done about it. Other, comparable small nations were blessed by fortune, we were not. What could a manager do?

Given Wednesday night’s comedy, that’s an important question. These were not two sides bereft of talent. The Jutkiewicz goal would have graced any game. Hibs meanwhile have a clutch of players – Stokes, Riordan, Liam Miller, Nish – who began the season by justifying every Easter Road hope, and who seemed set to give the Old Firm problems. At Fir Park, their downfall was complete.

Like their opponents, these were professionals, talented players, performing collectively like amateurs. Who takes responsibility for that? To whom does Brown turn when defending becomes criminal? To whom is Hughes speaking when he says, lamely, “You can see where our problem lies”?

An old argument is hereby revived. Some say the Scottish game lacks home-grown playing talent. I say the standard of coaching leaves a great deal, a very great deal, to be desired.

obviously the juke's leveler was the fitba viewing equivalent of being gang raped. fuck you ya hibee scumbag!

We cannae win. A Scottish fitba match that is 0-0 is boring to watch with inept Strikers and clack of creative flair. 12 goals, unbelievable drama and one of the best goals in EUROPE this season and we are pub league?

Hibbee Journo :(

Hurting? Absolutely. He'll be back on the up after todays results mind you. The Caaant!!!!!

2. murphy totally fucks up marking john rankin then hibs get a couple of wee breaks of the ball. can't really blame ruddy as it goes through reynolds' legs

First off apologies if this has been said already but I was on holiday last week and missed the game, what a bummer that was. However, having watched the highlights today on the BBC I must say if it was Fraser who lost that goal he would have been hung drawn and quartered and blamed for the other 5. Just like Celtic and Dundee Utd games the whole defence was shocking at times.

First off apologies if this has been said already but I was on holiday last week and missed the game, what a bummer that was. However, having watched the highlights today on the BBC I must say if it was Fraser who lost that goal he would have been hung drawn and quartered and blamed for the other 5. Just like Celtic and Dundee Utd games the whole defence was shocking at times.

Nah even Fraser would be blameless there, Ruddy was definately exposed at the 2nd, ask any keeper or keeper coach in the world and they`ll tell you the hardest shot to save is one at the feet,no time to move your feet if your set for a dive + no time to get down,esp when your a hulking brute like Ruddy. As I said, the most ardent Fraser hater couldnt find a way to blame him

That saying, I believe it`s Michael Frasers fault the Tories are now in at Westminster! And for the Hailstones + Sleet we had up here yesterday :huh:

• 9 years later...

Thought this thread could do with a little bump in advance of the full match TV re-run of this classic 6-6 match  vs Hibs

BBC Scotland are showing it on Sportscene Classics , tomorrow evening,  Sunday 3rd May at 19:15

and word is Sky have it scheduled as well for midweek?

Quite emotional glancing back at some of the reactions, staggered at realising it was ten years ago , life really comes and goes far too quickly

get the carry out organised , arrange a couple of hours clear in the lockdown schedule to settle down and enjoy the epitomy of the Motherwell roller coaster :wacko:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brazilian said:

Thought this thread could do with a little bump in advance of the full match TV re-run of this classic 6-6 match  vs Hibs

BBC Scotland are showing it on Sportscene Classics , tomorrow evening,  Sunday 3rd May at 19:15

and word is Sky have it scheduled as well for midweek?

Quite emotional glancing back at some of the reactions, staggered at realising it was ten years ago , life really comes and goes far too quickly

get the carry out organised , arrange a couple of hours clear in the lockdown schedule to settle down and enjoy the epitomy of the Motherwell roller coaster :wacko:

Still my all-time favourite well goal, the juke for 6-6, as they said at the time wow oh wow, ......Lucas Jutkiewicz :notworthy:

Yes, an impossible, breath-taking goal that more than made up for RF's feeble penalty, and probably the greatest goal I have seen in the flesh. I heard Derek Ferguson's radio commentary at the goal later and it was hysterically  incoherent, in a good way. I don't suppose it's still available now but he couldn't believe his eyes and reacted accordingly: hilarious stuff.

I got so annoyed with Ian Bell's article I wrote an answering letter to the paper the following Sunday and got a bottle of Old Pulteney back, which I magnanimously donated to my thrapple.

Lucas J's still knocking them in for Birmingham, so good luck to him, demi-god wot he is.

Not sure I agree about the penalty, maybe a good height for the keeper but i thought it was well hit and a good save.

I've had the radio commentary on my phone since and once in a while when I've got it on shuffle it will appear and always puts a wee smile on my face.

What a game though, has to be one of the best experiences I've ever had at the football. We had to go for (several) pints afterwards as every one of us was high as a kite!

better_that_van_basten_mono.wav