New Shirt Sponsor

'WellGall

oh aye we were told that something should be in place by w/c the 19th? was that July,August,May next year?

Who's to say there hasn't been?

Im glad that time is being taken over it. If its say, a 3 year deal that will benefit the future of the club through funding of youth development/training facilities, I'd take that over a quick lump sum of cash.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well Id argue that the fact were playing european games with no sponsor,selling shirts now with no sponsor + seem unable to replace our 2 most important players,putting a potential fortune in jeopardy are factors that point toward us having no sponsor signed, and if its still being negotiated why the fuck is that happening? Its not like us losing last years sponsor was a bolt from the blue

well Id argue that the fact were playing european games with no sponsor,selling shirts now with no sponsor + seem unable to replace our 2 most important players,putting a potential fortune in jeopardy are factors that point toward us having no sponsor signed, and if its still being negotiated why the fuck is that happening? Its not like us losing last years sponsor was a bolt from the blue

Euro games are, at this point in time barring a glamour tie, only big to the club and it's fans. That's a fact.

Our 2 most important players? Granted Juke was important, however I think Jamie Murphy has shown in the euro games that he is prepared to step up and be our first choice striker. I'm guessing the other was Jim O'Brien. Since when has a luxury player been important? Granted he did a good job for us and helped win us games. He'd have been a different option up till now but I don't think he would have made the team significantly stronger.

I don't see how a fortune has been put in jeopardy but the fact it's still being negotiated can only be a good thing. It'll be down to terms at this point and not anything monetary. It's been suggested that we wont actually be recieving money as such, and with no one from the club (I may be wrong) saying this has impacted our ability to secure new players, I have no worry about it.

I'm sure the club were more worried about the situation with Canterbury and the implications of them going under since we had a 3 year deal with them. Finding a new kit supplier would have been more of a priority.

Euro games are, at this point in time barring a glamour tie, only big to the club and it's fans. That's a fact.

Our 2 most important players? Granted Juke was important, however I think Jamie Murphy has shown in the euro games that he is prepared to step up and be our first choice striker. I'm guessing the other was Jim O'Brien. Since when has a luxury player been important? Granted he did a good job for us and helped win us games. He'd have been a different option up till now but I don't think he would have made the team significantly stronger.

I don't see how a fortune has been put in jeopardy but the fact it's still being negotiated can only be a good thing. It'll be down to terms at this point and not anything monetary. It's been suggested that we wont actually be recieving money as such, and with no one from the club (I may be wrong) saying this has impacted our ability to secure new players, I have no worry about it.

I'm sure the club were more worried about the situation with Canterbury and the implications of them going under since we had a 3 year deal with them. Finding a new kit supplier would have been more of a priority.

surely the fact we have signed no-one shows it has impacted our ability to bring in new players? And with the club stilll negotiating, while fair enough to get the best deal for us, to me it shows we maybe havent been as fast as we should have been in getting things sorted.

With regards to players, yes I was on about Lukas + JOB, Lukas was our top scorer last season and had worked his way into being a vital part of the team, Murph has done ok so far but they are different types of player and I believe a Lukas type (or the fabled ESTEBAN! :P ) would have had at least 1 or 2 over the course of the Breidblik game, and JOB is the kind of player weve been crying out for in the 3 games weve played, I wasnt his biggest fan and still think he`s too much of a sand dancer but it cannot be argued he created a lot for us and that creativity has been sadly lacking so far.

And as for the European games, we were seeded in both rounds meaning we had an easier path to a potential glamour tie, surely it would make sense for the club to ensure as much as they can that we make it to that round where the worst we would get is a full house at Fir Park and the best could be 2 televised games and a few hundred grand into the coffers, every little helps. Yes this could be a moot point if we go out and win thurs nite but its been harder than it needed to be and progression will have been more down to luck than anything else.

It's been suggested that we wont actually be recieving money as such, and with no one from the club (I may be wrong) saying this has impacted our ability to secure new players, I have no worry about it.

If the suggestion that we won’t be making any money from this ‘sponsorship’ deal is true, we will be one of the few professional teams (if any) who do this. Maybe we have upped our game in our other commercial ventures to insure there is no need for our prime advertising space to be sold in this way. I would be surprised if this was true, as most clubs would sell the space on a blade of grass if money was available.

Personally I think the selling of sponsorless shirts has been given the go ahead, not just so fans can get their hands on the shirts early but the sponsor or rumoured charity may have been promised a percentage of any profit.

surely the fact we have signed no-one shows it has impacted our ability to bring in new players?
I think the bigger impact is that there is still a few weeks to go before the season proper kicks off. A significant number of transfers don't happen until the last week of the window.

:) CHILL OUT!!!

Have a little faith people if we don't have a sponsor is it the end of the world, the top looks cracking the way it is for a start, we have a good core squad that fans from other teams thnik we will pose a threat this year without adding to it.

I agree with it we are unbeaten in pre season friendlies and in 3 european games we haven't conceded a goal in open play and against both teams have had the better of the chances to score.

So why panic we'll unearth a few more jems this year from the youth set up live goes on and motherwell will go on, and undoubtedly we have the most experienced management team in the spl so CHILL OUT !!!!

The glass is definately half full this year!!!!

Why release the shirts for sale free of sponsorship while negotiations, as we were led to believe, were ongoing?

Now, if I'm currently negotiating to be your shirt sponsor and you decide to cut loose and release the shirts sponsor free before negotiations are complete I will walk away. The main point of shirt sponsorship is not about TV matches or press photos, it's about the fans acting as billboards for the company in question.

We were told that the club would hope to have something to announce, in respect of sponsorship, in the week of the 19th July. Nothing happened and the following week they announced that the shirts would go on sale sponsor free.

We did not have a three year contract with Canterbury, our contract was with Canterbury Europe Ltd, an offshoot, virtually a franchise if truth be told.

surely the strips that the fans wear are not the main priority for sponsor logo/name to be on. if we have no sponsor on the strip for the live tv game where the cameras will mostly be on the players shirts then we can start to panic. plus many people on this forum were willing to pay more for sponsorless strip so the club have satisfied that demand without increase in price. if/when we get a sponsor i'm sure you will be able to go and get a transfer added to your sponsorless shirt if you so desire.

I never walk doon the street and see a Celtic or Rangers jersey and go "I could do with a pint of tennents." Or a killie top and go I could do with some galloway cheese. In fact I have never had a car out of Ian Skelly anything from Motorola, Anglian home improvements, didnae fly with zoom and beleive it or not I have never bet with Jaxx. I make my own mind up.

Having said that it is pretty strange to release strips without a sponsor while negotiations were "ongoing" or as some people on here have been saying for weeks "a done deal".

I have a feeling the deal that was being negotiated has went tits up and the club are now pursuing plan b or c and that is why nothing has been communicated as of yet. That is only my gut feeling though.

I never walk doon the street and see a Celtic or Rangers jersey and go "I could do with a pint of tennents." Or a killie top and go I could do with some galloway cheese. In fact I have never had a car out of Ian Skelly anything from Motorola, Anglian home improvements, didnae fly with zoom and beleive it or not I have never bet with Jaxx. I make my own mind up.

Who on here had ever heard of Anglian, Zoom or Jaxx before they paid to get their names on football tops?

Who on here had ever heard of Anglian, Zoom or Jaxx before they paid to get their names on football tops?

Had certainly heard of Anglian and Zoom, not Jaxx though.

That said, your point is reasonable... most advertising isn't about making you think "oh, I must go and buy some new windaes". It's about increasing brand awareness, so that when the time comes that you *do* need that sort of service, that company will come to mind as an option, subconsciously or otherwise.

surely the strips that the fans wear are not the main priority for sponsor logo/name to be on. if we have no sponsor on the strip for the live tv game where the cameras will mostly be on the players shirts then we can start to panic. plus many people on this forum were willing to pay more for sponsorless strip so the club have satisfied that demand without increase in price. if/when we get a sponsor i'm sure you will be able to go and get a transfer added to your sponsorless shirt if you so desire.

I'm afraid you're wong it's the strips sold to the supporters that is uppermost in the mind of the sponsor.

That is by way of free advertising how many shirts have you seen at the game or in the park or on the street, with Motorola, or Anglian Windows still on them? We actually refer to them in that manner as well, when discussing shirts on the threads on here how many posts have you seen referring to "The Ian Skelly shirt" or "The Motorola shirt" and when was the last time any of them put money into Motherwell?

I couldn't tell you how many Man Utd shirts I see on a weekly basis with "Sharp" on the front, and my daughters scouse boyfriend has a Liverpool shirt with "Candy" on the front and Dalglish on the back.

One more point, someone asked who had heard of Anglian, Zoom, and Jaax before they sponsored Motherwell. That's not the point the point is we've all heard of them now. You think of any Motherwell strip of the past 20 years and I'll bet you can remember the sponsor's name that's on it.

I'm afraid you're wong it's the strips sold to the supporters that is uppermost in the mind of the sponsor.

You are right Lip, this is a major factor when any company chooses to sponsor a football team. Pictures in the media have also a very important part to play. But as Leeann keeps telling us this deal is a little different from the norm, this would indicate for what ever reason, it's not uppermost in the mind of our new sponsor. Because if it was, the replica shirts would not be on sale.

Must say I have fitted windows to my property, went on numerous flights and lost a couple of quid at the bookies but never ever used any of the sponsors that we have had. I doand can name them all but I stillnever ever used them.

Shirt sponsors is the least effective means of communicating to it's customers. Most sponsors do it because they can take customers to games every week and get the best attention. In this climate that is not always the best way to spend your advertising budget. More and more companies are looking at there target audience and they have better options with better returns than shirt sponsors.Not good reading but true!

Having said that it is pretty strange to release strips without a sponsor while negotiations were "ongoing" or as some people on here have been saying for weeks "a done deal".

I have a feeling the deal that was being negotiated has went tits up and the club are now pursuing plan b or c and that is why nothing has been communicated as of yet. That is only my gut feeling though.

I'm sorry but thats a very silly thing to say. The main goal when advertising is to make you aware of the product. The line about making your own mind up is a bit daft too, we buy what were telt through advertising.

Shirt sponsors is the least effective means of communicating to it's customers. Most sponsors do it because they can take customers to games every week and get the best attention.

That's utter nonsense, in Footballing Sponsorship it's the MOST effective.

I've been involved in the past in organising sponsorship of football clubs, from the sponsors side, and while naming a stadum can be equally effective although for shorter period because the name becomes part of the culture and just trips off the tongue, people dont think of the airline when you mention the Emirates, they think of Arsenal, the ground is too closely associated with the club.

It's the same with the SPL it's only TV and Radio announcers that call it the Clydesdale bank premier league.

why? i've got no idea how many tops we sell every year but i can't imagine it's more than 4000 and most of them will be in the motherwell area which isn't giving you much exposure. a picture in the paper or a game on tv will be seen by hundreds of thousands of people, surely that's what the sponsors want?

i doubt jaxx were trying to increase their brand awareness in PE classes in dalziel and braidy or up at the fives courts at wishae sports centre. how many punters are wearing a motherwell top out and about on average day? not many.

We did not have a three year contract with Canterbury, our contract was with Canterbury Europe Ltd, an offshoot, virtually a franchise if truth be told.

Saying that Canterbury and Canterbury Europe are different things doesn't have anything to do with us having a deal with them. Which we did.

Anyone thinking that the shirts being released with no sponsor means we wont have one is off their rocker.

Having money to buy players is something thats rare at the club anyway. Most money will have been tied down in giving about 8 players 3 year deals.

I'm sorry but thats a very silly thing to say. The main goal when advertising is to make you aware of the product. The line about making your own mind up is a bit daft too, I buy what i'm telt through advertising.

Fixed that for yeh :thumbup:

I have never bought anything advertised on a football shirt.

Advertisements only work for idiots wi more money than sense.