Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Just got confirmation on his twitter, Mark Benstead is at Fir Park and had this to say about chatting to SM

markbenstead #motherwell - Sm dismisses Francis Jeffers chat...

But curiously as well

markbenstead #motherwell - Sm says people have put loads of names to him, s kuqi, stern john but most unworkable.

Im sure some guy on here yesterday said he had heard Jeffers was at Fir Park?

Could it be that their trying to distance themselves from any concrete signings?

They dont it with Grella and it backfired

With the irish guy noone knew until he signed.

Could maybe be a case of not wanting to get our hopes up

:P

I'd rather we signed Stern John on a short-term deal than Franny Jeffers, that's for sure.

At least he's got something of a decent reputation for scoring goals, and it would give him a chance to put himself on the map again for the summer transfer window.

That being the case, his first game for Motherwell looks like being at the site of his last game in Scotland before now, a 2-2 draw with Falkirk at Ibrox in December 2005.

On the other hand...

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-prem...rs-says-mccall/

By Jamie Borthwick

04 February 2011 16:11 GMT

Stuart McCall has distanced himself from an immediate move for former Arsenal striker Francis Jeffers, and said he has not even spoken with the 30-year-old.

Reports in the media this week had placed Motherwell as the front-runners for the signature of the once-capped Englishman, who left Australian club Newcastle Jets in January.

However Fir Park boss McCall today distanced himself from the speculation, saying he has had “100 names” given to him as potential captures.

McCall said: “I’ll be honest, I’ve had texts with about 100 different names and Jeffers was one of them, but I don’t know where the story's come from.

“I’ve had Shefki Kuqi and Stern John offered to me as well, but at the moment the focus is solely on the cup tie, so to speak about someone who isn’t on my thoughts at the moment would not be right.

“You never know what could happen in the coming weeks but finances are a big part of things. We’re under no illusions that we need a striker in and I am always working to do that.”

McCall said his lack of options in attack could present opportunities to youngsters Robert McHugh and Gary Smith, while Esteban Casagolda was handed a chance to lead the line in the Steelmen’s 1-0 loss at home to Kilmarnock on Wednesday.

The Well manager added: “I look at young kids like Stevie May at St Johnstone and we have Bob McHugh and Gary Smith here who will both have chances to step up.”

Motherwell face third division Stranraer at Stair Park on Saturday and McCall believes his players will have to be mentally adjusted to approach the match as favourites.

The former Everton and Rangers midfielder said: “We’re going down overnight, doing everything correctly, as it is a role reversal from Sunday.

“The pitch and the conditions could be a leveller but it’s the mental approach to it we need to get right. If the players are up and at it we can win. We have to ensure there will be no slip ups.

“Everyone takes the cup games seriously, especially the Motherwell fans, and we will take a big support down there.

“If we get through we’re one game away from Hampden again, that’s everyone’s aim.”

Thats quite a few reports now saying we have signed Francis Jeffers, just awaiting clearance from the SFA or such.

Not convinced this is a good deal as we need a goal hungry striker to show the current mob how to do it! Jeffers is a striker with only 34 goals to his name in 14 years of league football - hardly a CV of distinction!!