Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

I noticed on the sky sports interview for jones signing mccall said the following

"If I bring another defender in that will be my budget. I really need for balance a left-sided centre-back but they are proving hard to acquire."

McCall has had several foreign trialists at Fir Park this week, including former Falkirkspacer.gif striker Pedro Moutinho, but none of them are likely to sign this month.

"They played a bounce game on Tuesday and we've only been able to train on astro," McCall said. "So we've not been able to see enough of them."

Does that mean his whole budget will be gone? with all the wages we freed surely he should have a bit more than just 2 loan signings and maybe a defender :thumbup:

The fact that this guy is 35 is a pretty positive thing for me, and would suggest that McCall is planning ahead for using the younger guys from next season onward. Reasons for me thinking this as follows...

Seems to me his thinking is along the lines of "lets just get through this season, and then kick on at the start of next". The state of the squad/finances/etc would suggest that this isnt a bad idea.

The guys he's brought in are here til the end of the season, seems this will make sure that it doesnt affect A - the budget for next season, B - the squad size for next season.

When you think about it, one thing we dont have is age and experience for the front players and the guys going forward. It's one thing bringing in young guys into the squad but at Motherwell, who are they gonna learn from? Jamie Murphy? Chris Humphrey? This guy comes in at the end of his career, bags of experience, and for 6 months we've basically signed an attacking coach for free to help out our young guys. Helping Murph with his confidence and self belief, helping Humphrey with his decision making...when to ping it in early, when to hold it up...when to cut inside and drive, and when to hit the byline. Basically how to play the man in front of you, rather than just being fast and thats it. This ties in with the idea of a plan to kick on from the start of next season with the core being the young guys...plus a few shrewd signings that can be done much more easily during the close season than in the Jan window. The loan of McHugh would also point towards this.

In short, dont have a problem with the guys age, or the length of time he's here. Shows to me that McCall has identified a few of the troubles, and has a medium to long term plan to put that right.

"This rule dictates that a player can be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season but can only play for two of them — with the sole exception of a move between clubs with overlapping seasons."

Does the SPL starting before the EPL not count?

See if that's the case, my big post from a few minutes ago....forget it. We're a bunch of mongos. Football forum members with internet access spot it, but the professional guys that work for the club and are in charge of doing the fucking deals, haven't a clue? Rid necks all round.... :thumbup: