Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

When did Motherwell earn the right to be snobby about a players pedigree? Take a look at the succesful 'Well teams of the past, or even a list of your own favourite players and see where we signed them from.

Off the top of my head, the vast majority of my favourite players either came through the youth set-up (Faddy, Uncle Phil, Dolan, etc) or made a step up to come to the 'Well (Dougie, Kirk, Philliben, Gahagan).

Here's hoping we unearth another few legends this pre-season.

what we're being linked with certainly seems to be the bottom of the barrel. part time spaniards with dubious cv's, freed cypriots with mysterious sell on clauses and airdrie players.

i thought the plan would have been to go for 2 or 3 quality signings with our own youngsters adding the depth. right now i'm starting to think we might be downsizing again.

You are so far away from the real world you must be sitting in Pluto typing this.

We have no money to sign players. So we have to be a bit more savvy in the transfer market. I also think Boyle is not going down the route of funding players wages anymore so we have to focus on youth players.

Also what exactly do you see as a 'quality' signing?

There is no harm in sourcing out of contract players and bringing them in on trial, this is a great way to sign players in my book. So for you to come on a criticise thhe club for doing this baffles me.

At least we are not signing Jack Ross or Mark Burchill. Think about it that way.

I'd be amazed if we DO sign him. Given the number of players we have had on trial since January (and not heard a thing about since) it would be different and refreshing for someone to break that run. Admittedly, that may be down to other factors and not just 'not being good enough'.

Now if he does get signed he must have something in the eyes of Brown/Knox and for the time being that will do for me.

Still worried about Hollis though. Like to give my posts a bit of balance :D

the cypriot boy had been on trial for the last six weeks of the season, he was the first to break the run but not sure if its a good thing yet! :nod:

We have no money to sign players. So we have to be a bit more savvy in the transfer market. I also think Boyle is not going down the route of funding players wages anymore so we have to focus on youth players.

is this not a myth? there's nothing in the accounts that shows boyle lending us money while porter was here and the wage figure paid out by the club went up significantly. i also think that clubs in england have been punished for paying players through outside sources as it's against the rules down there and probably is up here.

to say we don't have money isn't true. the wages of o'brien, ruddy, jutkiewicz and coke and maybe reynolds are there from last seasons budget.

Quino, Rubio and Davide Fernandez - all of Livingston came from Spanish Non-League. Quino and Rubio being arguably two of the best midfielders/centre backs respectively. And Fernandez has been responsbible for a 6-figure transfer fee.

None of them were 'Non-League'. Rubio came from the Portuguese 1st Division, Quino from the Spanish 2nd Division, and Fernandez was with Deportivo La Coruna before Airdrie, albeit on loan to a 2nd Division club.

I must admit I'm not impressed by the calibre of players that we are currently courting, but as someone said, who are we to moan about that? If the guys turn out to be gems then even better. Broon and Archie obviously think they might have something to offer. It's hard to predict for certain, but Broon or any other manager we are going to have in the future is going to have to go some way to unearth the players Gannon did.

Also, I don't think we/Broon can consider McGlinchey to be a loss as such. How many minutes did he actually spend on the pitch, and further more out of them how many did he actually look good or even do anything? Not many.

the cypriot boy had been on trial for the last six weeks of the season, he was the first to break the run but not sure if its a good thing yet! B-)

You are right in a sense. Think he played with us in Cypus in an U19 tournament right enough. Not sure he has been in Scotland very long.

Also, I don't think we/Broon can consider McGlinchey to be a loss as such. How many minutes did he actually spend on the pitch, and further more out of them how many did he actually look good or even do anything? Not many.

To be fair to McGlinchy he arrived in February just as we had started our run. Can't really expect him to crowbar himself into a team that was performing so well.

Also O'Brien was at least showing 110% commitment and wingers tend to be regarded as a luxury by managers. Problem for him is he may have got more games if he was right sided like Humphrey as it would have been an easier challenge.

You are right in a sense. Think he played with us in Cypus in an U19 tournament right enough. Not sure he has been in Scotland very long.

of which he struggled to get a game! Not one to write anyone off before they have kicked a ball,but I think the talk of his club waiving a fee for a percentage of his next sale has shaded peoples understanding of how good this boy is!. I said earlier in another thread that well supporters won't be excited by any signings we make in terms of names but we can all hope that they gel quickly and make a real go of it this season! Every player is only one season away from a big move, so if they have not been the best in the past so long as they are with the well that's all I care about!

Went to watch the last 30 mins of pre season training no giles coke there, does anyone else think this is a clear indication he's not resigning?

No, not really. His contract will have expired I assume, and therefore has no obligation to turn up and wont have until he agrees a new deal. Plenty of time :lol:

No, not really. His contract will have expired I assume, and therefore has no obligation to turn up and wont have until he agrees a new deal. Plenty of time :lol:

Probably is a sure indication that he is away, but as you say he is not contractually obliged to participate in training. Nor would he be insured by anyone in the case of severe injury. And therefore he and Motherwell would not be willing to risk him, accidentally harming himself in an innocent 5-a-side game.

But, with 2 weeks to our opening game in Europe. And this being a major carrot for any player signing on for another year, or prospective new players coming in - would be looking to sign up in time and get as much pre-season under their belt before the game arrives upon us.

Not to mention he isn't getting paid as of now, and therefore will want a contact asap, and if he really had any interest in staying would want it signed by now.

As mentioned in thid thread Brown has set a deadline of June 30th (as someone has said when his contract possibly runs out) to accept the offer on the table. If he isn't here by then and we have "other irons in the fire" as Brown has said then we (the club) should draw a line under it and move on.