Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Has Pat gone?! I knew he was leaving but hadnt seen it confirmed yet, shame for him as he is actually a top quality football player, just for some reason doesent have the belief in his own ability and is chucking the fitba altogether to go to the polis.

what a waste :nod:

*edit: Ross Forbes was gonna do the same at the end of Mark McGhee's last season but stayed cause of change of manager

Tad harsh, just an example of a player playing with confidence and a player playing with nae confidence.

More than a tad!!

Yes, he was pish for most of the time after Christmas, but he's a player that on his day and with a wee bit of self-confidence can score goals that not many other people in our team can. Needs to work on his stamina and pace and I'm sure JP is working with him on that over the Summer.

Honestly, some folk on here havent a clue :nod:

this is his fourth preseason with the first team and if he can't get his fitness up to a decent level for an spl player then you have wonder if he ever can.

the difference between looking good or not was playing in gannon's 5 man midfield where his lack of pace and stamina was hidden and playing in a 4 where he was exposed.

its simple,Forbes is not a left winger. with his shooting + passing he`d be dynamite in the holw btwn mid + att. He`s a victim of us playing a system where his best attributes are hampered,thats all

I reckon he could be a fantastic player for us, as mentioned though, not as a left winger. He suffered a bit last year due to the performances of Lasley and Jennings, who you couldn't really argue with being ever-present in the centre of midfield.

Because I don't rate Ross Forbes, I haven't a clue? I find it strange how people who grudge other people having an opinion would spend their time on forums.

Have the opinion all you want, I'm of the opinion you havent a clue.

He looks to me like a player that plays well when he is full of confidence, when that confidence gets shattered he looks pish.

this is his fourth preseason with the first team and if he can't get his fitness up to a decent level for an spl player then you have wonder if he ever can.

the difference between looking good or not was playing in gannon's 5 man midfield where his lack of pace and stamina was hidden and playing in a 4 where he was exposed.

Agree with that, he's really got to step up his work-rate and pace this season or the writing will be on the wall, but on his day last season he was fantastic. I'm hopeful that he'll have realised that he was short of both in his debut season and will work on this over the summer.

Agree with the formation thing as well, looked smashing as part of a 5 and poor as part of a four (particularly when he was shoved wide for some unknown, mental reason) so again thats something that he needs to prove to the fans this season that he can be part of a 2-man centre-midfield pair.

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s675/st160043.htm

Forest REJECT Motherwell offer of Reynolds' services

By Michael Lynch

July 2 2010

Nottingham Forest have rejected a recent offer from Motherwell manager Craig Brown to sign defender Mark Reynolds.

Davies yesterday spoke to the Nottingham Evening Post to clarify his position on the player. He confirmed that whilst he seemingly respects Reynolds ability as a player, he has absolutely no desire to bring him to The City Ground.

"I have spoken to Craig to clarify that he is not somebody we are interested in," said Davies.

"He may be a decent player, but he is not on our list of targets.

"I think Craig was asking the question over whether we would be interested and 'no' is the answer."

Forest will now continue their search for a new defender elsewhere.

If he genuinely has the ability that his early form suggested then he could be an absolute gem of a player. Indeed, if all he was lacking last season was fitness and confidence, I'd be tempted to build the team around him. You don't necessarily need pace, particularly when you have a cultured left peg like his.

Looking at our squad just now we have a bit of depth in defence and midfield. Therefore 352 could be the way ahead. If Forbes was to play behind the 2 strikers he could be dynamite.

Have the opinion all you want, I'm of the opinion you havent a clue.

He looks to me like a player that plays well when he is full of confidence, when that confidence gets shattered he looks pish.

So you think he looks fit and fast? And you think he makes the right decisions when he has the ball? If so, I'm of the opinion that you haven't a clue so we can agree to disagree. From what I've seen he has the arrogance of McFadden without the ability to back it up, and I find myself being infuriated by the fact that he has to hit every set piece when he's on the park, despite his dismal success rate.

Would it be fair to compare Forbes to Charlie Adam.

Adam always was good with the dead ball but often struggled in the SPL due to a lack of pace especially when played wide left at Rangers. Look at him now a £5m rated player but still has no pace.

I think Forbes has potential and could improve stamina wise but don't think he'll be a wide left player with pace to hit on the break. I see him more as part of a centre mid 3 to spray the ball about and create.

If anything the World Cup has re-inforced that 4-4-2 is dead.

How about going 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 with Las, Jenn & Forbes in the middle with Humph wide right, Murph wide left and Sutton through the middle (obviously assuming the squad doesn't have an injection of better talent before the Europa game).

So you think he looks fit and fast? And you think he makes the right decisions when he has the ball? If so, I'm of the opinion that you haven't a clue so we can agree to disagree. From what I've seen he has the arrogance of McFadden without the ability to back it up, and I find myself being infuriated by the fact that he has to hit every set piece when he's on the park, despite his dismal success rate.

I think I've already qualified that I think he is unfit and needs to work on this and his pace over the summer. In his 1st season with the 1st team he scored a barrel-load between the Summer and Christmas and then fell away to fuck, but remember this was his debut season and if he has any sense he will have realised that he couldnt hack it physically and work towards remedying this. He may have burst onto the scene too quickly and his fall from grace may have effected his confidence more than it would have if he hadnt started so spectacularly.

Wishing that he had joined the polis after seeing him for 1 season, half of which he excelled in, but I havent a clue?.....bloody hell

I want the statistics on that dismal success rate. Scored most his penalties, went close with most free kicks or scored, and I think we scored from a fair few of his corners... to my memory only of course.

Hammell is probably the next choice for dead ball situations and im not sure his success rate is far off dismal?

I don't think he excelled for half a season. Couple of months maybe.

As for the comparison to Charlie Adam, I can see where you're coming from, but Forbes doesn't have the dig, the engine or the build of Charlie Adam. He also doesn't score the freekicks that Charlie Adam does.

On the dead ball thing, he's missed at least two penalties, don't think he's ever scored a freekick, and I'd say 90% don't even force a save from the 'keeper.

When him and Slane burst onto the scene against Flamurtari, I really wanted them to be good. But I think some folk on here had decided that they'd made it already. Admittedly, Forbes did keep his good form up for the first part of the SPL season aswell, but the tactics were completely suited to his game and when the going got tough, Forbes got going. He is far too slow to command a place in an SPL midfield, has a worse level of stamina than the one that had McGarry slated on here, and is very guilty of picking the wrong pass or shooting when the pass is on.

Like I said, I really hope he comes out this season and proves me wrong as it's always that bit nicer to see the boys that have come through the ranks doing well, but I can't see it happening, I'm afraid.

IMHO I tend to lean more towards Frazzles point of view. Forbes started the season on fire and his goal v St J was one of the best I have seen and only second to Lukas v Hibs last season.

That said it became apparent that when teams sussed him out he lost that early season surprise element. It is said that he is one of the most technically gifted footballers at the club and this by other players, but he is lacking in stature and looks like he is running through treacle at times. The stature and build may change with age, but not sure about pace, you either have it or you do not.

This is a big season for Forbes. He will either make the grade or not, in which case he is more than likely going to drop down a league or two. I hope he does come good, but like Frazzle I do harbour my doubts.