Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

How about going 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 with Las, Jenn & Forbes in the middle with Humph wide right, Murph wide left and Sutton through the middle (obviously assuming the squad doesn't have an injection of better talent before the Europa game).

Obviously, no being a manager I know fuck all, but this makes a bit of sense to me. I know it sounds ridiculous, but to go with the same sort of style that Brazil or the Dutch seem to be playing. Sticking with a solid back four, with Lasley and Jennings sitting deeper to break up play, Forbes playing in front of them and as you said, Sutts up front with Murphy or Humphrey on the wings. You could stick Fitzpatrick out on the left as well if you wanted a more defensive workmanlike team.

Obviously, this has a few problems with this as it invites teams onto us, Murphy is wasted as a winger and as much as I appreciate his workrate, Sutton could struggle on his own up there.

I'm not really interesting in entering the Forbes debate, but I want to pick up on a point someone made earlier. It simply isnt true that you either "have pace or dont", this simply isnt true! Running at pace is all about technique and unfortunately for us at the moment Forbes doesent have any. He should get himself along to some of the Glasgow running clubs and get someone to take a good look at his upper body technique and i'm quite sure he would soon see a big improvement. His stride pattern isnt great either and this could be easily worked on to increase his speed.

A great example as Usain Bolt. As much as a freak of nature that boy is, as it stands just now his upper body technique is absolutely dreadful. Most of his training at the moment is focused hugely on sorting this out and some people estimate he could take just under half a second off his current 100m time if he gets it spot on.

There's no doubt that Forbes is a luxury player but IMO if the team is set up to suit him he has the ability to excel. He's never a wide player & although Brown was backed into a corner by the lack of bodies it was a poor poor decision to put him out there when his form had dipped. As others have said his best position would seem to be in the 'number 10' role, finding space in between the opposition midfield & defence & picking out the final pass or shooting himself. It's been highlighted by the WC that almost all of the successful sides use this system, with two holding players allowing the 10 to forget about defensive duties & influence the game high up the pitch. This is the way football is developing & whilst it's certainly debateable whether Forbes has the ability to play there, he's got more chance of success than out wide.

Think we've gotta remember that if he was a world-beater, he certainly wouln't be at Fir Park. He does however have gifts that the rest of our squad don't & it seems to me that we should be doing what we can to get the best out of him.

That said his fitness is a worry, not too bothered about pace as if we play him in behind the striker it's not essential to have it, but there's no doubt that he's got to improve his fitness level if we're to see him back as a regular in the side.

That said his fitness is a worry, not too bothered about pace as if we play him in behind the striker it's not essential to have it, but there's no doubt that he's got to improve his fitness level if we're to see him back as a regular in the side.

See that is where I think you are wrong. It is also a midfielders job to defend not just to attack. It was sometimes painful to watch Ross chasing shadows in midfield. If teams with pace (like Hibs) break against us then we are in trouble if our midfield and certain players lack the pace to track back.

See that is where I think you are wrong. It is also a midfielders job to defend not just to attack. It was sometimes painful to watch Ross chasing shadows in midfield. If teams with pace (like Hibs) break against us then we are in trouble if our midfield and certain players lack the pace to track back.

I agree that you want your midfielders to get up & down the pitch but part of the problem with our attitude to football in the UK is that there are so many talented players are overlooked because they aren't great athletes. Also, I wouldn't consider the role that Sneijder plays for Holland, Kaka for Brazil, Ozil for Germany etc. to be a midfield role as such, as they aren't expected to be tracking back. (I get that it might be daft comparing us to Brazil, but it is in formation only!) I see what you're saying about whether we would be able to sacrifice a body getting back, but if you were playing 4-4-2 you wouldn't expect or want both strikers to be tracking runs way into their own half & I think the same applies with the system many are suggesting.

Like I said, Forbes is a luxury player, but if we also play Lasley & Jennings in there then I think he's a luxury we can afford & benefit from, provided of course that he's got what takes to play that role.

if we dont sign a left winger then i hope we play a diamond formation in midfield with forbes as the attacker with hateley and jennings behind him and then lasley as the holding player.its pointless putting forbes or even fitzpatrick at left mid as neither look comfortable playing there and the team looks out of shape.forbes best attributes are passing and shooting so having him in behind the striker where he can thread play ball through and have a shot whenever hes in sight of the goal would be a benefit to the team cause hes getting played where hes gonna do most damage.

Fuck sake.

We have a young midfield player that scored 9 goals in his debut season and there is a debate about whether he is a 'luxury' player!

Forbes would have been the top goalscorer at about half the clubs in the SPL last season but he's not good enough for Motherwell! :D

As far as I'm concerned he's already proved he's a good player, he has to add consistency to his game like most young players but since he won't peak as a player for another decade I think he's coming along fine!

How about going 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 with Las, Jenn & Forbes in the middle with Humph wide right, Murph wide left and Sutton through the middle (obviously assuming the squad doesn't have an injection of better talent before the Europa game).

To be honest I dont think that Sutton would be any good up front himself.He is like Berbatov.A bit lazy but can score goals by having his back to goal and then turning and rattling it.We need Murphy up himself or with Sutton.I think we shoud have the two of them up as they would be the perfect strikeforce.Sutton with his strength and height to nod on a high ball for Murphy to run on to or just turn and rattle it.If you want you could also play a 4-3-3 with McHugh/Archdeacon upfront with Sutton and Murphy with Hammell and who ever is at right back as wingers aswell as full backs.Something like this-

------------------Randolph--------------

?---------Craigan---------Reynolds?---------Hammell

-----------Lasley----Jennings----Forbes

---------Murphy----Sutton-------?------------

To be honest I dont think that Sutton would be any good up front himself.He is like Berbatov.A bit lazy...

What? :lol:

Worked his arse off last season. Especially in the last 6 months. People had him PotY behind Ruddy and on par with Lukas.

Done a fair shift on the left wing when we had no one else available to do so. Just got on with it even if it isn't his natural position. Not to mention helping out the defence.

As has been said, John Sutton is anything but a lazy player. He works his arse off chasing down every ball he can, he may not have the pace, but he tries like fuck nonetheless. If thats your view of him, then to be honest, you need your head removed from your arse.

With regards to Forbes and formations or whatever, we could always let ol' Craigie and his "colleague" decide...but then again, it's more fun this way isn't it :lol:

Naw I didnt mean lazy as in he doen't try, a ment he is not the fastest.He does try and get balls when they are played past him but he hasn't got load of pace.Sorry for the mix up guys.Berbatov is the same.If a ball doesn't get passed to his feet and he runs he isn't that fast

i think this might be the first time i've ever agreed with daz.

sutton's workrate was immense in the second half of last season but he benefited from having the juke playing as the target man. the home game against falkirk when lukas was out and sutton played right up top he was dire. it's a strange one but even although he's big and slow i think his best position is off someone else, not sure he's able to lead the line.

Apparently wee Billy Davies has confirmed that he is not interested in Reynolds. The article quotes Davies, so it seems that possibility is out the window.

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s675/st160043.htm

FWIW I think the attempts to flog Reynolds like this is embarrassing and also appears we are pretty desperate. How must he feel turning up to training knowing everyone at the club is trying to flog him for a few sheckles.

I for one think that we should not be flogging our best players for next to nowt in the vain hope that the cash will buy 2 other players who might never be near as good enough as Reynolds.

Yes the club are trying to cash in on a young talent who could leave later for nowt but they way they are doing it is as I said appearing more desperate every day.

It just confirms to me anyway that we won't see anymore signings as the club is REALLY skint. Just a bit scary of how short of cash we appear to be.

Just my own humble opinion