Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Maybe so in reference to your point re signings, but Gannon was taking us down, down, down all the way to funkytown b4 Paw Broon came in.

So far he has replaced Ruddy with Randolph. It looks on the face of it a decent replacement, although too early to say for definite.

What worries me is that he is quoted as saying we only have wages for 1 striker :mad: Yet we are missing 3-4 players. My suspicion is that the wages have been eaten up by the gang of players that signed new deals such as Hately and Saunders etc.

We just got to hoep we get through to the play off round and get Liverpool or Man City. Otherwise we will most definitely have a somewhat weaker squad than last season.

Were we evergoing to get him? :lol: Don't be so silly. I'm looking forward to Grampa Broons loan signings. Certainly won't be a patch on Mr Gannon's.

Gannon had money to bring in players (McGhee comp, Quinn, Clarkson transfers) Brown hasn't had anything like that to bring players in.

As for Gannon's brilliant transfer policy a mere season later Mouataoukil, Jutkieiwcz, Ruddy and Coke are history, and Hateley had to be signed up by Brown during the close season.

12 months after he appeared all we really have Gannon to thank for is Jennings since Humphrey hasn't really done anything yet.

Gueye has been there for about 15 minutes, Baxter gets homesick after a week in Australia, Agard is fast as fuck from what I can remember.

Wallace I know nothing about.

An interesting insight into where we are financially wrt transfers from Broon's interview on the beeb.

Motherwell manager Craig Brown admits Thursday's Europa league qualifier in Iceland against Breidablik could be Mark Reynolds' last match for the club.

He also insists Fir Park signing targets have been identified, but he needs his current players to progress in Europe to carry out his plans.

"If or when we get any funds, we know where to go to get some players," said the former Scotland manager.

"We have one or two on hold but they can't wait forever obviously."

Defender Reynolds is reportedly attracting interest from a number clubs, although Brown told BBC Scotland he would be more than happy for the player to stay.

"For his sake, I would hope it is Mark's last game - but, personally, Archie Knox and I regard him highly and hope he stays with us," said Brown.

"But for his own career and the future he has football, it would be good for him to get a move.

"He's been a wonderful servant here - he's an outstanding player, and any club getting him gets a gem, in my opinion.

"But, at the moment, he's here and I won't be terribly upset if we keep him, because losing him would mean finding a replacement.

"And that's not going to be easy."

Funnily enough it's more the mixed messages that are a tad concerning.

A couple of weeks back it was - We have a budget for a striker plus a couple of loanees anything above that depends on Reynolds moving.

Now it looks as though all targets will slip away if we don't progress in europe or get reynolds away.

Advertising our financial desperation is not a good bargaining position to take - leads to derisory bids.

I've got a huge ammount of time for Paw Broon but the mixed messages and ever changing budget altering variables that are seemingly occuring are worrying me. We need another 3 players to the quality of Coke, Jutkiewicz and O'Brien in if we are even to tread water.

I've got a huge ammount of time for Paw Broon but the mixed messages and ever changing budget altering variables that are seemingly occuring are worrying me. We need another 3 players to the quality of Coke, Jutkiewicz and O'Brien in if we are even to tread water.

I think this is the big worry - can we even maintain a status quo from last season.

Hearts have improved their squad. Hibs have also added. Utd haven't been as affected as many thought they would be (although this may change with Rangers having a little cash to spend).

So of last years top 6 outwith the Old Firm, only 'Well have gone backwards in squad strength so far. We've lost Ruddy, Coke, JOB & Juke - yes Randolph has come in and may do well but we have lost our biggest flair player and best striker and must replace these or at least try to.

If the worst happens and we get bumped out tomorrow - what chance the small available budget will disappear altogether!

If we weren't in the early rounds of the Europa we wouldn't be worrying about this as much. There's still plenty of time, and I'd rather we held on to see if the extra money is coming in and then signing some good players, than signing some shite ones in a hurry. CB seems to be well organised in that he knows who he's going for if the money comes in.

It was exactly the same last year, and we have the benefit of hindsight when we praise Gannon's signings, but I can't recall much excitement when Coke, Jennings, Hateley and even the Duke were signed, I seem to remember plenty of moaning about how unknown they were/lower league rejects etc.

The rule of thumb with MFC signings is that if we know who they are, Motherwell probably won't be signing them!

I think that it will be almost impossible to tread water this year. For all Gannon had his faults he pulled a rabbit out of the hat with the squad he assembled last summer at such short notice. The three players you mention will not be replaced I fear and with Hearts and Aberdeen looking at the likes of Paul Hartley (thought McGhee had no money?) they are bound to be more competitive this season (I assume).

Brown and Knox have a real task in front of them this year I fear but then I do tend to be pessimistic. Don't think we will be relegation fodder however.

We have a few players coming through into the first team from the youth now so that gives us a bit more depth.

We will make signings. Wouldn't worry about that. All we need is a striker.. we have enough midfield/defensive cover.

We will finish 3rd this season.

Possibly second.

:ph34r:

if money is as tight as Broon is making out, why in the blue fuck did we give Fitzpatrick a new contract? ok it wont be a lot of money and its for 6 months but the guy is pish + will not play a single minute of football! In this climate,every penny counts!

Really worrying the mixed messages coming out of Fir Park, Unless we replace O`Brien + Lukas minimum,we can kiss goodbye to any hope of top 6, I believe Killie,St Midden + Hamilton will be the bottom 3 but without any more firepower + creativity,we will be dragged into that scrap!

money for Reynolds may help us but its well known the financial troubles of scottish football and were only encouraging vultures to circle by running around with the begging cap! Also, if we dont manage to qualify for europe and finish bottom 6, just how shite is our budget gonna be next year? worrying times.

--------------------Randolph-----------------

Saunders---Craigan---Reynolds---Hammell

--------Forbes----Hateley-----Lasley-------

------Humphrey---Sutton---Murphy--------

Subs: Hollis, Hutchinson, Page, Charalambous, McHugh, Jennings, Smith, Fitzpatrick

That is a pretty decent line up as it is.. good enough to challenge for top 6(minimum) we will bring in more players though, lose Reynolds(but we good have cover) I think Forbes will come good this season, Humphrey shows some promise and his pace can really hurt teams. Sutton & Murphy will get us the goals(if they don't we have smith, McHugh etc.. young boys who have something to prove). Hately, Lasley I think our two best midfielders and we have good cover for them in Jennings & Fitzpatrick(provided he stays fit and gets a run of games he is a good player)

Overall we could use more players in the squad to strengthening it, but its not as desperate as some are making it out to be. We have a lot of good SPL players who have played together for a while now and if anything I think we will improve on last season. Ruddy, JOB & Juke will be missed but we have guys willing and hopefully able to step up and take their places.