Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

JOB was not great, but..............

JOB could do what the majority of our team can't. He can get the ball, run at defenders beating men and he could open the game up.

We haven't lost the best player Motherwell has ever seen thats for sure. But without him or a Slane or a McCormack or even a Faddy before them all, we have lost that little bit extra which can separate you from being a middle of the road spl team, to one who can take the game to the opposition and push for europe.

IMO!

:O

JOB was not great, but..............

JOB could do what the majority of our team can't. He can get the ball, run at defenders beating men and he could open the game up.

We haven't lost the best player Motherwell has ever seen thats for sure. But without him or a Slane or a McCormack or even a Faddy before them all, we have lost that little bit extra which can separate you from being a middle of the road spl team, to one who can take the game to the opposition and push for europe.

Hits the nail on the head for me. We've been very fortunate in that for the last few years we've normally had at least one player with that kind of exciting spark about them. Other teams have survived in the SPL without one but it's all been about hard work and grinding (Kilmarnock and St Mirren are two teams that spring to mind). Should we not replace Jim O'Brien, it's not certain we'll be relegated but survival will be a whole lot uglier...

We will miss him as he created chances for us, but he was never as brilliant as some are making out on here.

Anyway water under the bridge. Lets just find someone to replace him cos Humphrey isn't up to the job yet.

Like the pun - if you meant it.

The thing is - some on here would have you believe that Humphrey is more than enough to replace JOB and we need no-one else in!!

Fact remains - no-one in our team can ghost past a player even once in a match. O 'brien might not have got a goal-making final ball in every time but he mast have got attacked the last man 7 or 8 times a match.

NO-ONE can do that in our team. Not our 'square ball' centre mid trio of Las, Jenno and Forbes. Or Jamie 'Cut Back' Murphy - no-body.

Every team needs that outlet, the 'give and go' guy.

We now don't have it. We need to get it. End of.

Your pre-season pessimism training is going well I see, Melvin. :O

:O When I wrote that part I was actually trying to avoid saying "We won't go down" because that's just asking for trouble. And I'm not talking about it being close for us to go down (I think we'll survive easily), I just don't think it's going to be easy on the eye...

I still think O'Brien is a shitebag, good skills, but not sure where this willingness to run back myth has come from. Lost the ball up the park regularly and sat down and moaned rather than getting back.

Decent player, but not the end of the world that he left.

I still think O'Brien is a shitebag, good skills, but not sure where this willingness to run back myth has come from. Lost the ball up the park regularly and sat down and moaned rather than getting back.

Untrue - he did moan a bit though, give you that

Decent player, but not the end of the world that he left.

True

Fair enough, the celtic game pre-split just sticks in my mind, Jutkiewicz absolutely ruined himself making runs while O'Brien attempted too much again and again in a game we could've won with more direct play.

Or John Ruddy. *tin hat on*

Probably being a bit unfair though, O'Brien just frustrated me a fair bit. He'd beat the fullback in the first five minutes then avoid him for the next 30.

We need to be looking at young fringe players who are talented but not quite ready for the Premiership. A Villa mate, told me that their young Austrian U21 striker has good potential but could do with some first team experience. It might well depend on how well CB gets on with Martin O’Neil, or does his best mate Neil Lennon get first pick?

Andreas Weimann

Possible loan deal, similar to Lukas?

We need to be looking at young fringe players who are talented but not quite ready for the Premiership. A Villa mate, told me that their young Austrian U21 striker has good potential but could do with some first team experience. It might well depend on how well CB gets on with Martin O'Neil, or does his best mate Neil Lennon get first pick?

Andreas_Weimann

Possible loan deal, similar to Lukas?

Agreed that this is the kind of player we should be looking into. Buying a player is obviosly preferable (not saying Weimann as he has just signed a new contract) over a loan signing but don't know if this would be possible in our current situation. Premiership reserve teams is the place to look for quality loan signings though.