Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Hateley stated at the Sponsors night the 'pitch story' was false as it didn't contain any quotes. IIRC the quotes were from his dad right enough :lol:

Coke, I'm not overy worried about although I do think he is away. To Dundee Utd? Doubt it.

Would like us to hold on to Hateley but sadly I think he is away.

Bring our youngsters through with additional loans or whatever to supplement that every year, that's what we have to do as a club, our youngsters hopefully get the transfer fees in whilst we benefit from the loan spells of decent players in the shop window trying to impress. The 1 year deals were as good as loans in all honesty, surprised to see Jennings commit longer, delighted all the same. If Coke and Hateley go it frees up a wage for someone else. We move on as a club.

I think Hateley has to remember that Motherwell basically saved his career

At the age of 20, it's a bit of a stretch to say he's had a career at all, so far.

I'd never criticise any footballer for wanting to go and make more money somewhere else if they think they're good enough, though... you never know which club's going to be your last. Although there are obviously good ways and not so good ways to communicate that desire to fans and media.

I wont really miss those who dont want to play here and who have only been here for a year, so i wouldn't be too bothered if Hately left. I will miss Ruddy and the Duke though, they both seemed very happy to be here and always playing for the jersey which as a great trait to have.

I would be a bit disappointed if either left. I'm happy with them in the team and im nervous about our ability to replace so many players. It seems to me every season we lose more players than we replace as well. Its interesting to see just how the in's and out's of the past two years stacks up.

Clarkson, Quinn, Porter, Hughes, Slane, O'Brien, Darren Smith, Graeme Smith, Malcolm, Mgarry, Connolly, McLean... thats 12 that were contracted to the club have left to my memory. Add Klimpl if you like.

Replaced by... Jennings, Humphrey, Coke, Hately, Fraser. (Is that all?)

If Coke and Hately go.. that makes for an exodus of 14 players in two years and only 3 that have been replaced from external sources.

I know we have had an influx of youngsters.... Forbes, Saunders, and to a lesser extent McHugh, Hutchinson, and to an even lesser extent Page, Meechan (any others?)

This is what worries me the most. I don't understand why its happening and why no one seems to notice.

I would be a bit disappointed if either left. I'm happy with them in the team and im nervous about our ability to replace so many players. It seems to me every season we lose more players than we replace as well. Its interesting to see just how the in's and out's of the past two years stacks up.

Clarkson, Quinn, Porter, Hughes, Slane, O'Brien, Darren Smith, Graeme Smith, Malcolm, Mgarry, Connolly, McLean... thats 12 that were contracted to the club have left to my memory. Add Klimpl if you like.

Replaced by... Jennings, Humphrey, Coke, Hately, Fraser. (Is that all?)

If Coke and Hately go.. that makes for an exodus of 14 players in two years and only 3 that have been replaced from external sources.

I know we have had an influx of youngsters.... Forbes, Saunders, and to a lesser extent McHugh, Hutchinson, and to an even lesser extent Page, Meechan (any others?)

This is what worries me the most. I don't understand why its happening and why no one seems to notice.

You living on the moon likes? It's the financial downturn... most clubs slashing operating costs and the playing staff is deemed the easiest to effect these cuts. Given, most clubs in Scotland only now following suit, whereas, we are a little ahead in that respect.

With 9(?) youngsters promoted from the youth set-up this year, unheard (that's the amount, not the kids themselves) of at this level, the conveyor belt of talent tips a nod to the investments made in our clubs youth development. Yes, we have to temper this by adding experience to combine, it's a sign of the times. We have proven that the raw materials are available to work with, others in our league simply cannot, as McGhee has found at Aberdeen for example.

If Coke and Hateley don't wish to be here, not much can be done. Do we really want anybody on the staff who wish to be elsewhere anyroads? Hell, as we hear from those with very little grasp of the game in the coming weeks - most moves from our club are at best sideways never upwards! If you expect incomings to match our outgoings, I'd advise stocking up of...

iStock_000001673157XSmall-300x299.jpg

We'll know how good our management really are when they've added what they see as an improvement to our squad soon enough. You can bet on it.

Do we really want anybody on the staff who wish to be elsewhere anyroads?

The answer is obviously no.

I doubt anyone is going to lose any sleep over losing either Hateley or Coke.

Don't get me wrong, both are good players, but they aren't players i'd rate as "must keep".

You living on the moon likes? It's the financial downturn... most clubs slashing operating costs and the playing staff is deemed the easiest to effect these cuts. Given, most clubs in Scotland only now following suit, whereas, we are a little ahead in that respect.

With 9(?) youngsters promoted from the youth set-up this year, unheard (that's the amount, not the kids themselves) of at this level, the conveyor belt of talent tips a nod to the investments made in our clubs youth development. Yes, we have to temper this by adding experience to combine, it's a sign of the times. We have proven that the raw materials are available to work with, others in our league simply cannot, as McGhee has found at Aberdeen for example.

If Coke and Hateley don't wish to be here, not much can be done. Do we really want anybody on the staff who wish to be elsewhere anyroads? Hell, as we hear from those with very little grasp of the game in the coming weeks - most moves from our club are at best sideways never upwards! If you expect incomings to match our outgoings, I'd advise stocking up of...

iStock_000001673157XSmall-300x299.jpg

We'll know how good our management really are when they've added what they see as an improvement to our squad soon enough. You can bet on it.

Perhaps I shouldnt of bothered with the last sentence of my last post. Although your points are certainly worth public airing so no complaints there.

Obviously, like everyone, I'm sure, I appreciate the negative impact of the financial downturn. However I still feel its worth reiterating that we have lost at least 14 senior players and only obtained 3.... considering we axed something like 19 when administration hit (which isnt far off what we have shed in recent years) our fortunes of late have me more than a little concerned.

How small can the SENIOR squad get? It seems to me that in the future we will be left with an U19 team in the spl! Yes it might sound great that we have all these 'prospects' but how often do they earn us fees similar to the likes of Porter and McDonald. I'm not saying there have been none... that would be ridiculous but its only really been Quinn and Clarkson, who were homegrown, who have earned us some dosh in years gone by. Reynolds is next in line to earn us a few hundred thousand... but once he is gone, who is next. Who are we going to be able to create revenue from next year. Our entire squad is too young. Maybe in 3 years when they have all matured we will make a mint, but what are we going to do now?

To return to Hately and Coke. No I don't want players here who don't want to be here. I just wish we weren't having to give out 1 year contracts in the first place that force us into a complete overhaul each year... which more often than not, tends to be an 'under-haul'

Teams were spending outwith their means before the current financial climate downcrunch, and now we're seeing a lot of teams cut down their 1st team squads, including our own. The TV money was also cut during this period, and wads of our cash has been absorbed into the pitch. So I'm not surprised that we may struggle to hold onto the likes of Coke and Hately, but as fatcalf has said, they'll move on and we'll get someone else. They're hardly "once in a lifetime" talents, and our first choice midfield pairing of Lasley nad Jennings are already signed up.

IMHO

Coke started well - faded away in the middle - then came on strong again. Would be very happy if he stayedbut I DO believe he will be offski with many offers on the table.

Hately started of well and then gradually faded away - to the point that the last few performances were quite poor. Would not be too concerned if he moved on - though I doubt it as he will not have as many sniffing about as Coke.

Reynolds is an interesting one. I think many thought (including himself) that there would be a Q of clubs lining up and that we would make some decent money. I think shipping 14 golas in the last 3 games - even if he only played in two of them - might have lowered both the interest and the likely transfer fee.

Think we would miss both - seems lke this year we have a right good strong midfield with plenty quality in depth and good competiton. Didn't seem as though our midfield was getting shoved around quite as much as normal this year but you guys would know better than me.

I don't really believe the rumours about Hateley demanding to be played in the middle instead of at RB, but if they are true he has really fucked up any chance of a decent club coming for him.

Most of the season he has been playing well at RB, and anyone who is interested in him would be interested in him because of his ability at RB. So if he is demanding not to be played there, then alot of clubs will no longer be interested and his performances in the middle after demanding to be played there will have put off alot of other clubs who were still watching him.

I don't think he will be going anywhere bigger than Motherwell, because one brilliant season at this level does not merit a move upwards. If his agent has any sense he will advise him to stay at Motherwell because he is already settled here.

Reynolds is an interesting one. I think many thought (including himself) that there would be a Q of clubs lining up and that we would make some decent money. I think shipping 14 golas in the last 3 games - even if he only played in two of them - might have lowered both the interest and the likely transfer fee.

:blink: Eh? Ours and most others' season only finished last week. Plenty of time for movement and it will happen. Shipping goals will have no bearing on the outcome of interest and likely fee. He was ill for the Hibs game, shouldn't have featured and the management have acknowledged that, hence, he was given a rest instead of playing the final match. Best of luck to the kid when he moves on.

:blink: Eh? Ours and most others' season only finished last week. Plenty of time for movement and it will happen. Shipping goals will have no bearing on the outcome of interest and likely fee. He was ill for the Hibs game, shouldn't have featured and the management have acknowledged that, hence, he was given a rest instead of playing the final match. Best of luck to the kid when he moves on.

I hope you are right. But I would be interested to see what figure you believe any likely fee would be. I think some might believe around £1m, others £750k. It all depends on how many clubs are interested. If it is only the one - then we are fecked and will be lucky to see £500k.

Either way my post was not a slight on Reynolds. Been a good player for us and I hope he gets a good move and kicks on from there.

Year left on contract? Club looking to sell? I'd expect around £500k with a sell-on clause such is the bargaining power at our club. Before the sycophants start, the current salary and enhancements are taken into consideration, hence, better payers than us, eg, Hivs, command larger fees.

Don't mind if they go, don't mind if they stay.

Northampton fans last year weren't bothered if Coke left mainly due to his inconsistency for them. Sounds familiar?

And Hateley's dad is a twat. :lol:

I noticed that the Welsh RB was back up in Scotland - mates with Alexander at Rangers seemingly.

When does Tom Hateley's contract run out? He's in the Daily Retard today talking about Europe and being back in for pre-season early so I assume he must be contracted to us until August/September. That means he could actually be here for our full European run and then sign for somebody else.

I suppose the plus side is that it gives us a bit longer over the summer to find a replacement if he's leaving.

Dunno if this has been posted yet.. Clicky

Giles Coke may quit Motherwell for Championship move

Motherwell midfielder Giles Coke is a target for Bristol City, Sheffield United and Swansea City.

19 May 2010 10:15 GMT

178352-giles-coke-may-quit-motherwell-for-championship-move-410x230.jpg Where next? Giles Coke is weighing up his options Pic: © SNS Group

Giles Coke may be ready to quit Fir Park for a shot at the English Championship. The midfielder, who has the option of extending his deal at Motherwell, is in demand after impressing scouts by starring in the highest scoring SPL match ever.

The ‘Well star netted twice as his team battled back to a 6-6 draw with Hibs and scouts from England were in attendance that night. The game came towards the end of a season in which Coke had been one of the club’s best performers.

The 23-year old had signed a one-year deal at Fir Park with an option for a second year should he decide to exercise it. However, manager Craig Brown has said Motherwell will have to “wait and see” what he decides after speaking to other clubs.

Bristol City, Sheffield United and Swansea City are the sides thought to be ready to offer the midfielder a move back south and all three would be, likely to offer a better financial package than the SPL side. With Charlie Adam, Chris Burke and Graham Dorrans among those who have flourished after moving from Scotland to the English second tier, Coke is likely to be tempted by the chance to move to the Championship.

Losing a regular first-team players adds to the uncertainty over the makeup of Motherwell’s team next season. Manager Brown is planning for life without loan stars John Ruddy, Lukas Jutkiewicz and Michael McGlinchey and could also see the club cash in on Mark Reynolds.

With Europa League qualifying matches beginning on July 15, the squad will report back for pre-season training early that month and Brown revealed he will be cutting back on planned media work as a result.

The ex-Scotland manager is due to work as a pundit for Arab television station Al Jazheera during the World Cup but will jet back to put his side thtrough their paces in time for the European games.

“I’ll be taking a busman’s holiday this summer because I’m working for Al Jazheera as an analyst,” he said.

“I’ll be based in Qatar rather than South Africa but now I’ll cover only the early stages before heading back to Scotland for training.”