Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

I'm actually quite surprised to read all the comments in newspapers describing Coke as one of our best players this season. He started well enough and played well in the last few games but spent the majority of the time in the middle of the season playing well in patches at best.

I wouldn't mind if he stayed as we can always use decent players but we certainly shouldn't break the bank to try and keep him.

When does Tom Hateley's contract run out? He's in the Daily Retard today talking about Europe and being back in for pre-season early so I assume he must be contracted to us until August/September. That means he could actually be here for our full European run and then sign for somebody else.

I suppose the plus side is that it gives us a bit longer over the summer to find a replacement if he's leaving.

Seen that as well. making the noises as though he will definitely be here next season.

Giles Coke may be ready to quit Fir Park for a shot at the English Championship. The midfielder, who has the option of extending his deal at Motherwell, is in demand after impressing scouts by starring in the highest scoring SPL match ever.

They must have missed the pass back then. :ph34r:

The Daily Ranger says McGhee is gonna be sniffing around other clubs looking to pick up their cast offs. Anyone think Coke or Hately will end up at the sheep? :lol:

I didn't even realise Coke and Hateley were German....

They must have missed the pass back then. :ph34r:

Pity the Hibs guy didn't (Riordan?)

Anyone else thinking that if Cardiff end up in the Premiership, Paul Quinn might find himself surplus to requirements? He's the one player we've never replaced, and I think if he'd stayed we'd have finished (at least) fourth.

I'd love to see Quinn go in for a 50:50 with Drogba so if Cardiff go up I hope he stays. Anyway as Al B says he's been playing fairly regularly and far from disgracing himself when he does.

As for Murphy I'm delighted he's extended his contrat.. There's improvement in him yet.

delighted to see this.

as others have said there's loads more to come from jamie. he's only 20 just and has plenty of time, you only have to look at the improvements of scott mcdonald and david clarkson between the ages of 20 and 23 to see how a striker can come on.

delighted to see this.

as others have said there's loads more to come from jamie. he's only 20 just and has plenty of time, you only have to look at the improvements of scott mcdonald and david clarkson between the ages of 20 and 23 to see how a striker can come on.

Was going to post something similar to this. I think that Jamie will continue to impove over the next couple of years much like Clarky did, and hopefully he'll make a bit of money for us aswell.

Delighted with this news.

How small can the SENIOR squad get? It seems to me that in the future we will be left with an U19 team in the spl! Yes it might sound great that we have all these 'prospects' but how often do they earn us fees similar to the likes of Porter and McDonald. I'm not saying there have been none... that would be ridiculous but its only really been Quinn and Clarkson, who were homegrown, who have earned us some dosh in years gone by. Reynolds is next in line to earn us a few hundred thousand... but once he is gone, who is next. Who are we going to be able to create revenue from next year.

Just to pick up on that part of your post el-pidge, something that many forget when pondering about what youth player will be the next windfall is that it isn't always about a transfer fee at the end of it.Not every player who comes through the youth set up is going to be a McFadden.

Some of these guys will go on to be the squad members that you crave and rather than a hefty transfer fee your payback can sometimes be years of sterling service. The equivalent of the Fitzpatrick's, Hammell's, Craigan's and Lasley's of the current squad who between them must have contributed close to 1000 games for MFC.

tbh all he has to do to get a decent transfer is show us in Motherwell colours what he does in the Scotland Colours. A lot of the time he's head and shoulders above anyone else in the set-up.

Saying that, hopefully he's bnot the only player who's contract runs out next summer that we've offered an extension to...

BBC News -

Scotland Under-21 striker Jamie Murphy has agreed a two-year extension to his contract, his deal at Fir Park now lasting until the summer of 2013.

Murphy, 20, broke into the Motherwell first team in 2001 from the youth setup and netted 10 goals from 28 starts.

He said: "I am delighted to extend my stay here; Motherwell has become a really big part of my life.

"These next three years are going to be the most important in my footballing career as I learn my trade."

Glasgow-born Murphy has featured 97 times for the Steelmen, playing a total of 44 times last season, so is likely to be a regular start in Craig Brown's side next season.

Have to admit - I realise how special he is when I read that he was 11 years old when he first played in the Well first team.

since we're talking about our younger players just now mchugh and saunders played in a 4-0 win for scotland u19s against montenegro today. boab scored the opener.

scotland play belguim on friday and croatia on sunday to try and qualify for the euro finals. looks like there's quite a bit of depth at that level as the squad is missing wilson, fleck, slane, craig thompson, fyfvie, pawlett and tom cairney but is obviously still quite strong.

Some of these guys will go on to be the squad members that you crave and rather than a hefty transfer fee your payback can sometimes be years of sterling service. The equivalent of the Fitzpatrick's, Hammell's, Craigan's and Lasley's of the current squad who between them must have contributed close to 1000 games for MFC.

I do agree, but what about when they are gone? Who out of the current squad is even halfway close to giving us the kind of service the likes of Craggs, Las and Hammell have? Surely (a la Lasley and Hammell) that would require someone who has already left us coming back.

Just as I worry about how many players we turnover and how young the squad is getting... I worry about the future absence of guys like these who are more than just part of the team, they are the heart and soul of the club.

At the risk of sounding apocalyptic, I fear we are now just a small cog in a conveyor belt of young talent... and we are losing the essence of Motherwell FC, becoming something different. Better or worse, I don't know.

Great to see Murphy sign, would love him to give us the service Craggs, Las and Hammell have given us, or the money countless others have given us.... but I remain sceptical he will do either and suspect he will head to the championship in years to come on freedom of contract or for a couple hundred K.