Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

better than nothing but not to sure about the 6 month deal,just smacks of him being desperate after his whoring bit him on the arse yesterday. were already guaranteed to lose Reynolds in January, can we afford to be replacing 2 potential main players half way through the season.

Still another body, and potentially a quality one at that so heres hoping everyones happy

He has been quite injury prone over the last few years so I'm guessing the club are not wanting to gamble and tie him down for too long in case injury strikes again. But it would be a pain in the arse if he recaptured his old form and departed in the next transfer window. Looking forward to seeing him in action nevertheless, welcome aboard Mr Gow.

Just seen this. Good news....although I do agree Gow has looked like a bit of a slag. In saying that....I couldn't care less as long as he puts a shift in. Which I think he will do to try and get his next move. Or another contract with us. Play him in a creative role and I think we could do quite well.

if he shirks anything down where i sit he soon will.

we needed to get someone who can play on the left and i think we'll now see a gow-lasley-jenno-hateley midfield with humph going back to being an impact sub. i doubt he's came cheap though so it must mean there was a bit of money there but brown couldn't get anyone else in.

Now tell me why would you want our most attacking player thus far, being dropped to the bench, Gow will have to work for his position. I disagree with putting Humphrey on the bench he is on form at the mo, less the Celtic game.

Maybe Brown thinks Gow is a better player than Humphrey. If that is the case then imo Gow in, Humphrey out.

Gow is a different league of player from Humphrey when he's on his game, the problem is he's often been inconsistent or just gone missing completely.

A six month deal might work out for us, he might be motivated to either win a longer contract or to win a move elsewhere.

Gow gives a bit of experience and some versatility as far as roles and positions go. Can't see him up front though but is another body in a small squad.

That being said, 6 month contract isn't good. We only win if he turns out to be gash but in saying that we would have paid him for 6 months and wonder how loyal he will be if he is a success. Would he leave us for Aberdeen. Will need to see what he is like on the pitch and if he can make his mark in the left hand side of mid then excellent. Time will tell.

To be honest I can see Gow in and Humphrey out to the bench to be used as a sub again. Celtic game apart he has looked decent this season but with Gow slotting in on left I can see Brown moving Hately more to the right with Jennings and Lasley in the middle. Gow if he plays something like he did at Falkirk will add some creativity and hopefully link well with Hammell down the left and Hately on his day at least will put in a solid shift on the right with a slightly better chance of putting in more telling deliveries to whatever combo of strikers are up front.

All sounds good on paper but we'll see what happens, might even get two more or less wingers playing and one of the 3 defensive guys dropping to the bench.

As for the 6 month thing, well better decent for 6 months and moving on that being a player down. If he does well enough to earn a move we'll worry about replacing him in January and if he's rotten or injured we can release for minimal loss. Hope he does well but stays a bit longer but what will be will be.

good signing but a bit annoyed at the 6 month contract tbh, suggests hes on quite a few bob.

He'll more than likely be on goalkeeper wages since we came to a mutual term on Fraser.. Thats me just assuming he had his wages cause a goalkeepers wages are higher than compared to a common outfielder

Id have Humph in before Hateley, so far this season,apart from a free kick, Hateley has been shite and looks like he couldnt even pass water! In a 4 man midfield Id have Gow,Lasley,Jenno + Humph, with Hateley on the bench, I think he needs a boot up the arse!

Agree with that. With Saunders's suspension I suspect Hateley may drop back v St J and then we see that midfield and if they do the business then Hateley may not get back in to the midfield. Good thing is though that even though we have a small squad we do have a good number that can play in more than one position.

Tom Hateley can't beat a man as he proved on numerous occasions when playing RB. He's at his best when playing a central midfield holding role. The same could be said for Keith Lasley and Steve Jennings; neither of whom can play RB. The problem is that a midfield holding role is also Keith Lasley's and Steve Jennings' favoured position as well. The issue with our current midfield is that we have 3 players who have a similar role. In an ideal team there'd probably only be room for one of them. The mix and balance in that area of the team is all wrong.

6 months deal.........

Gow is beginning to sound like a football mercenary, I wonder how much effort he'll put in

Hopefully he will have to, or he will be out the team, out the door in six months and his chances of a big money deal elsewhere further diminished. Look on this as an expensive loan deal, it may work in our favour. Hope there is an element of "pay per play" involved so that we are not screwed if he turns out to be gash.

From what I understand we offered him a lot less than what St Mirren originally offered, but he chose to come and play with Motherwell. Admittedly that was after late intervention by Swindon who were willing to offer more again than Motherwell. Not sure what happened there, but I think we (should) all agree that he is entitled to seek the best deal for him and his family. That is what the majority on here would do if we had several job offers.

Either way he is here and if he plays well we get at least 6 months of his time. If he plays gash then we have not risked losing a large amount of money for a longer term contract. A win win scenario for both parties.

We shall just have to wait and see how it all turns out. At least it has given us something to talk about...........