Dundee Motherwell United V Ross County

well4eva

Huge congrats to everyone at Fir PArk, a fifth place finish and third consecutive appearance in Europe is a fantastic achievement. Really chuffed, now when's the draw??!!!!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came home ... got stuck in traffic and want to see (The page was still open, because I really wanted to see the game) if Motherwell can now go to Europe and see this:

Wrong

First I was totally confused and rather disappointed until I noticed:

The arms of the teams are wrong about, because somehow I noticed yet, the Goodwillie does not play for Ross County * cough *

UFF. My Nerves!!!

Europe Europe ....Motherwell please come to Germany :D *dream* :woop::lol:

I'm delighted that we are in Europe, but fuck Dundee United. I've no time for that club or their fans and they're getting no thanks from me.

We are in Europe, deservedly because of what WE have done this season.

Against all the odds, we've managed to finish not just in the top six, but fifth and probably deserved to have finished fourth as I think we've been better than Hibs over the piece.

The run that we put together from late January until late March was absolutely superb, as it was unbeleiveable, especially given the way things were going toward the end of 2009, so that's why we are deservedly in Europe just now, not because Dundee Utd beat Ross County in the Scottish Cup Final. I know you can argue, and rightly so that had they not done that then we wouldn't have qualified, but WE did all the hard work throughout the season so a big, big well done to everyone at Motherwell FC for what has to be considered as an excellent season.

I'm delighted that we are in Europe, but fuck Dundee United. I've no time for that club or their fans and they're getting no thanks from me.

We are in Europe, deservedly because of what WE have done this season.

Against all the odds, we've managed to finish not just in the top six, but fifth and probably deserved to have finished fourth as I think we've been better than Hibs over the piece.

The run that we put together from late January until late March was absolutely superb, as it was unbeleiveable, especially given the way things were going toward the end of 2009, so that's why we are deservedly in Europe just now, not because Dundee Utd beat Ross County in the Scottish Cup Final. I know you can argue, and rightly so that had they not done that then we wouldn't have qualified, but WE did all the hard work throughout the season so a big, big well done to everyone at Motherwell FC for what has to be considered as an excellent season.

Well said that man.

I have to add my congratulations to everyone at Motherwell, including those who contributed throughout the season who are no longer at the club- Gannon, Slane, Smith et al.

However, like someone posted elsewhere, I fail to see the anti-United sentiment. Like ourselves, they changed their manager around the turn of the year. They deservedly achieved third in the SPL and they defeated one of the Old Filth to win the cup. 

However, as I've mentioned elsewhere, we've achieved Europe on merit.

SD

What did Slane contribute? Other than keep the treatment table warm? Slane has fuck all to do with our league season. Malingering until he got a move, Chris McCart, hang your head in shame.

My point was that we should consider the season's achievements as a whole. I would argue that Slane contributed more to our season than Smith whom I also mentioned. You've chosen to comment on Slane- I wonder why?

You seem to miss my point.

Never mind.

Sadly County failed to turn up today, gave the ball away too easily and didn't get a shot on target until the last 1/4. Perhaps the Celtic game was their final.

I've never liked Utd, so they won't get any congrats or thanks from me.

Well done to Motherwell though. Another trip to Fekknowswherestan as reward for a Roller Coaster season.

Home game(s) at Airdrie again ?

What Special aka said.

I remember a scuffle on the steep Tannadice terrace during a 4-1 defeat up there in the 80's, took a couple of sore ones that day. No time for that lot.

I chose to comment on Slane because he cheated Motherwell and folk deserve to know the facts.

Motherwell did 99% of the work to get us into Europe its just a shame that the last 1% had to be done by Dundee Utd. For which I am pleased as our guys have worked hard this season and have exceeded all expectations and this gives them something tangible to show at the end of it.

Ross County were poor today, certainly much poorer than in previous games. It took United a while to get going and the tactic of playing it to the flanks was not working as the long balls were going out, too long or short and there were so many throw ins at the start it was unreal. However as time went on Swanson and COnway got more and more into the game. County brought Lawson on for Craig and that got them a further grip of the midfield and they were at their most dangerous just either side of Goodwillie's goal.

The quality of the goals in this game were very good and you could see why United came third.

I think United's slow start can be attributed to a lack of match sharpness from the selection policy of the last four games and unfortunately for County they did not have the quality to capitalise. But they got away with it.

Good result for us and I have a friend who supports United who is a happy happy man tonight. Chuffed for him and Peter Houston too who looked like he was going to be an SPL joke figure for a bit in December and thrilled for him too.

I chose to comment on Slane because he cheated Motherwell and folk deserve to know the facts.

They do indeed Vic, but many never will. I'm with you 100% on this. I thought at the time that some comments on these Boards were out of order. Now I know different.

Mr Slane contributed very little or nothing to our season. Celtic are welcome to him.

They do indeed Vic, but many never will. I'm with you 100% on this. I thought at the time that some comments on these Boards were out of order. Now I know different.

Mr Slane contributed very little or nothing to our season. Celtic are welcome to him.

I'm not in any way saying you are wrong, but care to expand?

However, like someone posted elsewhere, I fail to see the anti-United sentiment. Like ourselves, they changed their manager around the turn of the year. They deservedly achieved third in the SPL and they defeated one of the Old Filth to win the cup.

There's no doubt that they've deserved what they've managed to achieve this season. To finish third and win the Cup is a magnificent feat. and no on can take that away from them.

However, that's their business, not our's and I'm not buying into this 'Dundee Motherwel United' and 'let's buy all the Dundee Utd fans we meet a pint' either. They didn't win the cup for us, they did it for themselves, whilst we've merited our place in next season's Europa League for the way we've played this season, especially for the two long unbeaten runs that we put together, at the start of the campaign and then again in mid season, and all in the face of several changes to players and management.

Like some others, I don't like Dundee Utd and their arrogant supporters who believe, like Aberdeen & Hearts, that they have a God given right to be better than the 'likes of Motherwell'. Neither can I stand some of their 'club icons' like Jim McLean, Maurice Malpas, Paul Sturrock, Paul Hegarty or Jim McInally. They were a great side once upon a time, but like Aberdeen, that time has long since gone, yet their fans still refuse to see this.

But as I said, take nothing away from the season they've had, I'd just rather put our qualifying for Europe down to us rather than anyone else.

Simply amazed at the pro-County comments. Fair enough getting behind them on any other 'Motherwell free' Cup Final day, but today? Shocking.

Aw come on Finlay, if we were all the same life would be boring :nod: All we really have in common is our support of MFC. Our heads/hearts move in a variety of directions in all aspects of life and other football related bits 'n' pieces.

Would you really have grudged Ross County and their fans the winning of the Scottish Cup if it had denied us a poxy no doubt loss making Europa Q3 tie, to be played at the Shyteberry in the middle of the holiday season when most folks can't go ?

And as for Slane ................ fekk him, he's long forgotten.

Would you really have grudged Ross County and their fans the winning of the Scottish Cup if it had denied us a poxy no doubt loss making Europa Q3 tie, to be played at the Shyteberry ?

I wouldn't have grudged them, but I would've been fucking gutted that my team didn't get to enter the European Cup for the 3rd year in a row, allowing us better finances and the possibility of attracting better quality players. That for me is better and FAR more important than any pishy Ross County fairytale.

Aw come on Finlay, if we were all the same life would be boring :nod: All we really have in common is our support of MFC. Our heads/hearts move in a variety of directions in all aspects of life and other football related bits 'n' pieces.

Would you really have grudged Ross County and their fans the winning of the Scottish Cup if it had denied us a poxy no doubt loss making Europa Q3 tie, to be played at the Shyteberry ?

I would have been gutted. Honestly. I would have taken a Ross County win as bad as any defeat Motherwell had in the League/Cup this season. Imo County winning the Cup would have 'tarnished' my memory of the 6-6 and 3-3 games as ultimately we would have came so close to having a VERY successful season but failed. The 6-6 and 3-3 games would have been littered with "what ifs" for me. Now that we HAVE qualified for Europe, I can enjoy them for what they are, namely great combacks and not look at them retrospectively as chances wasted and a bit of a disappointment.

As for loss making, it won't be. Criag Brown admitted on BBC Scotland that qualifying for Europe will probably mean an increased budget for next season.

The only Scottish team I have an affinity/connection with is Motherwell. I couldn't care less about every other one of them.

I would wager that we made a decent profit from it. Steaua Bucharest & Nancy were both 'bumper' draws, we would've made fuckin thousands from both draws whether we had to rent the Excelsior or not.

And either way, the money doesn't matter. It's generally all round better for our club to qualify for Europe, and my team doing well is far better than the alleged romance of supporting a slight underdog because of my dislike for another club!