Motherwell's Cup Tradition

daver

For as long as I can remember the Scottish Cup seems to have brought a great sense of excitement to Motherwell supporters and we seem to get pretty healthy crowds and in particular, much larger away supports than we normally do.

I assumed that all clubs supports were affected in a similar way ( with the possible exception of the Old Firm) but when I looked at the weekend's results there were some pretty dreadful attendances. Falkirk for instance, generally get similar league attendances to ourselves but had only 3423 for their game against Queen of the South, with the TV showing a reasonable travelling support.

There were only 1803 at ICT v Partick Thistle - I thought Partick were similar to ourselves in taking large away supports to these sort of games but that is a poor crowd by anybody's standards. Similarly there were only 2871 at Dunfermline v Clyde.

On the other hand, the TV showed Ochilview hosting healthy away supports from Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. and Ayr Utd. v Kilmarnock was packed out (although the derby element means it's not really comparable).

Did the weather and poor form really affect some games that badly or is it just a case of some clubs being 'Cup clubs' and others aren't.

Have Motherwell always had this affinity with the Cup or is it just something that's come in over the last 15 - 20 years? I can certainly remember great crowds going to Aberdeen (1991) and Tannadice a few years later but maybe people with better memories or longer experience watching the 'Well can add other memories or shed some light on our feelings for this competition.

Falkirk attendance shocked me. I remember when we played QoS, it was our highest attendance of the season.

As you I was shocked at the rather poor turnout but I think the apathy that has hit the League attendance has began to take its toll on the cup as well. With all the financial uncertainty surrounding many people right now, some people are unable to justify the high admission prices on top of the travel etc.

I think a lot of people like the cup as its a chance to see some different teams/grounds/pubs/towns also think a lot of our fans come out for the cup games in the hope of repeating 91

Pre 18th May 1991, our turn out was pretty poor...and I quote you "25th Jan 1986 Brechin City HOME att -2648 Drew 1-1......31st Jan 1987 Partick Thistle HOME att-5177 Won 3-1......30th Jan 1988 Kilmarnock HOME att- 6488 drew 0-0.....20th Jan 1990 Clyde HOME att- 4077 won 7-0" Once you've experienced the ****** joy of a cup final victory you cant take away your memories...and you live in hope that you'll experience it again....c'mon the 'well.

Hampden MAY 30TH 2009 ---- Bring it on --- WE DESERVE IT.

Guest JohnnyDefault
Was the not the one where 'Coops was taking the pure pish out of the Clyde fans by counting the goals on his fingers in front of them?

Yep - Absolute Classic!

Up there with (although probably slightly better than) Faddy getting the captains armband Vs Livi when we trounced 'em.

Coop was an absolute revelation was he not?

I think a decent cup run should be our goal for the season, really can't see a 4th place finish. Love the big mans positivity but think a reality check may be in order, that said I would gladly chow down on some humble pie in a few months when we secure the euro invasion part 2.

For as long as I can remember the Scottish Cup seems to have brought a great sense of excitement to Motherwell supporters and we seem to get pretty healthy crowds and in particular, much larger away supports than we normally do.

I assumed that all clubs supports were affected in a similar way ( with the possible exception of the Old Firm) but when I looked at the weekend's results there were some pretty dreadful attendances. Falkirk for instance, generally get similar league attendances to ourselves but had only 3423 for their game against Queen of the South, with the TV showing a reasonable travelling support.

There were only 1803 at ICT v Partick Thistle - I thought Partick were similar to ourselves in taking large away supports to these sort of games but that is a poor crowd by anybody's standards. Similarly there were only 2871 at Dunfermline v Clyde.

On the other hand, the TV showed Ochilview hosting healthy away supports from Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. and Ayr Utd. v Kilmarnock was packed out (although the derby element means it's not really comparable).

Did the weather and poor form really affect some games that badly or is it just a case of some clubs being 'Cup clubs' and others aren't.

Inverness have won 3 times at home in a full calendar year, and two of them were last season so I don't think that is a big surprise. I think most of the supporters want Brewster out now and feel the same way about him as we did about Malpas. Falkirk have struggled this year to.

A couple of weeks ago there was nearly 5,000 people at the Raith Rovers/East Fife game in the second division. The modern fan just isn't prepared to follow a club through thick and thin now, they will turn out for derby matches, big games or to watch a successful side but if they are struggling, forget it.

Pre 18th May 1991, our turn out was pretty poor...and I quote you "25th Jan 1986 Brechin City HOME att -2648 Drew 1-1......31st Jan 1987 Partick Thistle HOME att-5177 Won 3-1......

On the other hand, I can remember Fir Park being absolutely packed out for the quarter-final replay against Hearts that same year (the John Gardiner game :whistling: )

Can also remember big travelling supports at the likes of Hibs and Dundee pre-1991.

Oh dear, I'd managed to forget about that game.

While it make sense to say that winning the cup increased our affection for the cup, we did take around 3000 to Pittodrie for the 3rd round - maybe we just had an inkling of what was to come!

While I went to many games before then, I don't remember too many cup games offhand. I do remember though, a large Motherwell support getting the soaking of their lives behind the goals at Tynecastle while the time got a drubbing (4 nil I think).

Guest JohnnyDefault
Oh dear, I'd managed to forget about that game.

While it make sense to say that winning the cup increased our affection for the cup, we did take around 3000 to Pittodrie for the 3rd round - maybe we just had an inkling of what was to come!

While I went to many games before then, I don't remember too many cup games offhand. I do remember though, a large Motherwell support getting the soaking of their lives behind the goals at Tynecastle while the time got a drubbing (4 nil I think).

I remember the Hearts game and the Dons game daver - two more contrasting outcomes you'd struggle to find.

The John 'the cat' Gardiner incident at Fir Park was a stonker - i think the did actually pass through his hands - Since then I've been convinced The cat was a ghost.

I think we've lost a wee bit of the cup pedigree we had - we used to be there or there abouts regularly. The Hamilton, St Johnstone and Dundee debacles have dented it a bit.

It would be good for us to get that determination back.

Our away support in the scottish cup is top notch. Lower clubs such as morton and QOS (as was mentioned above) have also got good cup attendances.

When I think of some of the crowds we've took to away games in the SC in the past 5/6 years:

Airdrie couple of years back

Kilmarnock Clyde stjohnstone stranraer - that cup run back in 2003 (I think that was the order)

Hearts last year

All of these games must have been followed by 3000+ well fans.

Always great to see.

Think its hard to aim for a good cup run as they are all one off games and there are always surprise teams that will cut yer throat. Its easy to set your sights on a place in the league but ye couldnt possibly say where yel end up in the cup. Hopefully the final this year.

I think other than the OF all clubs' fans look forward to the SCup with a degree of optimism and expectation. Personally, it will never lose its appeal for me. Its always with a great sense of anticipation and expectation that I look forward to seeing who we will get in the first round and then wonder/dream about what lies ahead.

As far back as I can remember, we have always taken good sized supports away with us when we've been drawn away in the first round. We had as many if not more fans, even though we lost, at Rugby Park and Love Street a couple of seasons back and we took a fair number all the way down to Stranraer.

And at home we've had some really decent and big gates, here's a few -

1969 - v Clyde - 10,000

1970 - v Klimarnock - 14,000

1971 - v Rangers - 25,000

1972 - v Ayr Utd - 13,000 (midweek replay during the day)

1976 - v Celtic - 25,000

1976 - v Hibs - 19,000

1977 - v St Mirren - 27,000

1987 - v Hearts - 14,000

Viva the Scottish Cup.

Motherwells cup tradition is "what could've been" for as many years as I can remember. Dundee, ICT, St Mirren and St Johnstone in recent years were absolute debacles. Ayr back in 2000 was another one. Semi finals are difficult to get to and are to be savoured. If only we could beat the alleged "easy" teams we would've been to a few more.

Motherwells cup tradition is "what could've been" for as many years as I can remember. Dundee, ICT, St Mirren and St Johnstone in recent years were absolute debacles. Ayr back in 2000 was another one. Semi finals are difficult to get to and are to be savoured. If only we could beat the alleged "easy" teams we would've been to a few more.

God no, I hate semi-finals the amount of times we lost out in semi's when I was a kid is unbelievable. It was heartbreaking, I just wanted to see us in a Cup Final. We drew 2-2 with Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi-final in 1965 and lost 3-0 in the replay, I was at the first one but not the second. Celtic were mince that year they finished 8th in the league I believe but that was big Jock's first trophy with them.

Then there was the League Cup semi-final against st Johnstone in 1970, I was positive we were going to win that one and we lost 2-0. Then losing to Airdrie in 1975 because the keeper took too many steps and they score from a free kick. Painful, yes, but insignificant compared to the antics of the referee a year later when we were horsing Rangers at Hampden. Playing Celtic off the park at Hampden only to draw 1-1 and lose the replay 3-0 in 1985. Two years later a league Cup semi-final went to penalties against Celtic and we lost again. The following year it was a semi-final against Rangers in the League cup and we went down 3-1. You can imagine my trepidation as the 1991 Semi-final with Celtic approached, and I'm damn sure you can all imagine my utter delight when we hammered them 4-2 in the replay. The 4-3 defeat to Rangers in 2003 was hard to take, but there was a certain pride from that match as we were expected to capitulate much easier than that. The next semi-final was the League Cup against Hearts when Fitzy wrote his name into 'Well folklore. Maloney's free kick after Kaiser's backpass when we had played Celtic off the park (again), was a horrible, horrible feeling.

Semi-finals are a bloody nightmare, they are excruciating to watch and the butterflies in the pit of your stomach never go away until the final whistle. I'm never relaxed at a semi-final they are horrible matches I hate them with a passion.

I hear you, and have been at every semi final, and replay, we've been in since the 1985 1-1 draw with Celtic. Painful as they are to lose, I'd rather get there and lose, than get put out by Ayr in the 4th round knowing we had a 2nd Divison Partick Thistle in the Quarters at Fir Park ala 2000 etc.....

God no, I hate semi-finals the amount of times we lost out in semi's when I was a kid is unbelievable. It was heartbreaking, I just wanted to see us in a Cup Final. We drew 2-2 with Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi-final in 1965 and lost 3-0 in the replay, I was at the first one but not the second. Celtic were mince that year they finished 8th in the league I believe but that was big Jock's first trophy with them.

Then there was the League Cup semi-final against st Johnstone in 1970, I was positive we were going to win that one and we lost 2-0. Then losing to Airdrie in 1975 because the keeper took too many steps and they score from a free kick. Painful, yes, but insignificant compared to the antics of the referee a year later when we were horsing Rangers at Hampden. Playing Celtic off the park at Hampden only to draw 1-1 and lose the replay 3-0 in 1985. Two years later a league Cup semi-final went to penalties against Celtic and we lost again. The following year it was a semi-final against Rangers in the League cup and we went down 3-1. You can imagine my trepidation as the 1991 Semi-final with Celtic approached, and I'm damn sure you can all imagine my utter delight when we hammered them 4-2 in the replay. The 4-3 defeat to Rangers in 2003 was hard to take, but there was a certain pride from that match as we were expected to capitulate much easier than that. The next semi-final was the League Cup against Hearts when Fitzy wrote his name into 'Well folklore. Maloney's free kick after Kaiser's backpass when we had played Celtic off the park (again), was a horrible, horrible feeling.

Semi-finals are a bloody nightmare, they are excruciating to watch and the butterflies in the pit of your stomach never go away until the final whistle. I'm never relaxed at a semi-final they are horrible matches I hate them with a passion.

Interesting post, kind of somes up the last 20 years for us in terms of semi finals!